Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Lake Louise Laker Fishing Help

  1. #1
    Member Sly Angler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    37

    Default Lake Louise Laker Fishing Help

    My Punch list has always had Lake Louise for Lake Trout fishing on it. I am headed out with my buddy on friday to try our luck for some lake trout at Louise. Is there any tips or tricks that people would be willing to share for catching these big lakers? Depth, location, bait, lures, time, or better places to fish for lakers. We are headed from the Anchorage bowl and have all needed equipment to succeed.
    Thanks, JT

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    44

    Default

    I was going to ask the same thing!!! we are headed up Sunday and going to try and stay a day or 2. We have our stout rods and reels w/ 20lb on w/ flashers and big ol spoons Any other ideas like where to go on the lake on foot? We dont need huge lunkers but some nice size one would be fun for the wife and I Thank you for any ideas on our first trip also
    Last edited by zfisher; 12-26-2011 at 12:07. Reason: sp

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    282

    Default

    It will be interesting to see what info you receive on here. Nobody wants to share much info on Lake Louise other than say out by the islands in front of the lodges. I spent many a New Years out there looking for lakers. On foot you can find fish off of Army Point (the point out to the left in front of the lodges by the state camp ground) or if you want to walk further, I've caught lakers on the west side of the middle island (long skinny island). For lures use flashy spoons like Krocodiles. A fish locator like a Vexilar is a great help in finding what depth the fish are in.

  4. #4
    Member gutleap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zfisher View Post
    I was going to ask the same thing!!! we are headed up Sunday and going to try and stay a day or 2. We have our stout rods and reels w/ 20lb on w/ flashers and big ol spoons Any other ideas like where to go on the lake on foot? We dont need huge lunkers but some nice size one would be fun for the wife and I Thank you for any ideas on our first trip also
    You state that you are going to stay a day or 2. I would suggest you stay at Lake Louise Lodge. John and Yvette that own and operate the lodge are a wealth of information on the lake. They have a full service restaurant and bar. Very nice place to stay. They will be able to point you in the right direction and put you on some fishing holes.

  5. #5
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Only been out there a few times, but the best spot I know is the last bay on the left (northwest corner of the lake) before you get to the channel. You won't walk there, but if you can find a way to get out there, thats THE spot.

  6. #6
    Member Sly Angler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Only been out there a few times, but the best spot I know is the last bay on the left (northwest corner of the lake) before you get to the channel. You won't walk there, but if you can find a way to get out there, thats THE spot.

    Thank you for that information. Can you drive a 4 wheeler out there or would that tear up the trails too much? I don't want to upset anyone.

    Morsno: Thank you for your advice I agree with you on the information from what I have learned is that Louise is a great Alaska lake that many don't want to give away their spots. I will let you guys know how we end up fairing.

    If anyone else would like to chime in I would love to hear what you have to say.

    Thanks, JT

  7. #7
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Angler View Post
    Thank you for that information. Can you drive a 4 wheeler out there or would that tear up the trails too much? I don't want to upset anyone.

    Morsno: Thank you for your advice I agree with you on the information from what I have learned is that Louise is a great Alaska lake that many don't want to give away their spots. I will let you guys know how we end up fairing.

    If anyone else would like to chime in I would love to hear what you have to say.

    Thanks, JT
    Just showing up at the lake will upset the "locals" who feel they own the lake, but I wouldn't worry about that at all. Theoretically, you could take a wheeler out there, although tearing up the trail could be the least of your worries. You never know when or where you may run into overflow, and wheelers just won't handle it like a sled can.

  8. #8
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Angler View Post
    Thank you for that information. Can you drive a 4 wheeler out there or would that tear up the trails too much? I don't want to upset anyone.

    Morsno: Thank you for your advice I agree with you on the information from what I have learned is that Louise is a great Alaska lake that many don't want to give away their spots. I will let you guys know how we end up fairing.

    If anyone else would like to chime in I would love to hear what you have to say.

    Thanks, JT
    stay off the groomed trails with your wheeler.....seriously, it tears up the trails that the locals have worked hard to keep nice for everyone out there...then it freezes, and can make for horrible riding conditions....people use those nicely groomed trails to haul expensive materials and equipment to their cabins and homes....besides that, if you get in a drift with your wheeler youll be walkin out....some rules of lake louise, respect others hard work, clean up after yourself, and let the big lakers go back in the water....



    Release Lake Trout

  9. #9
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Just showing up at the lake will upset the "locals" who feel they own the lake, but I wouldn't worry about that at all. Theoretically, you could take a wheeler out there, although tearing up the trail could be the least of your worries. You never know when or where you may run into overflow, and wheelers just won't handle it like a sled can.
    The locals aren't as mean as you think. They do expect a certain amount of respect for the resource. Please don't crap all over the place, litter or destroy the groomed trails. A lot of effort and money goes into the groomed trails. It has already been mentioned that someone almost had an accident with a snowmachine where a wheeler tore up the trail.

    The overflow is henious this year. It changes daily and is really deep in some spots. There are also some areas where the overflow has frozen solid and it is very rough.

    The troopers are looking for people drinking and riding this year too.

    Service your chaincases and add heat to your machines.

  10. #10
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Only been out there a few times, but the best spot I know is the last bay on the left (northwest corner of the lake) before you get to the channel. You won't walk there, but if you can find a way to get out there, thats THE spot.
    Larson Bay got netted out. The schools of whitefish are gone. No forage fish for the lakers. It hasn't been good fishing for lakers for 2 years, summer or winter.

  11. #11
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post

    The overflow is henious this year. It changes daily and is really deep in some spots. There are also some areas where the overflow has frozen solid and it is very rough.
    I can relate to this statemant.... I spent half the night Friday stuck in knee deep overflow.....

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    It's been in the minus temps for over a week at Lake Louise and this weekend is going to be COLD. I'm hauling my ice shack out on Saturday morning and will be using my Ranger 6X6. Once the ice house is set, I'll use snowmachines for all the reasons that people mentioned, snowmachines are preferable this time of year, but use a little discretion, ride on the trail early morning, late at night when its the coldest and you'll be fine. If you use the wheeler on the main trail(s) and walk off trail to your spots you'll be okay. And like was mentioned, the "locals" are pretty nice, they help out if you need help. The trail condition reports that I've been getting are that the trail from Lake Louise to Susitna is groomed pretty good and rock hard. From Susitna back its not as good because of wind drifts.

    Here's my shack I'm trying to finish up by Friday.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1286c36551

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Angler View Post
    My Punch list has always had Lake Louise for Lake Trout fishing on it. I am headed out with my buddy on friday to try our luck for some lake trout at Louise. Is there any tips or tricks that people would be willing to share for catching these big lakers? Depth, location, bait, lures, time, or better places to fish for lakers. We are headed from the Anchorage bowl and have all needed equipment to succeed.
    Thanks, JT
    Oh yea, forgot this was a question about lakers. Sorry if I hijacked the thread. Stop in at Lake Louise Lodge and talk with John he'll give you a couple places to try. Without a snowmachine you will be limited.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    It's been in the minus temps for over a week at Lake Louise and this weekend is going to be COLD. I'm hauling my ice shack out on Saturday morning and will be using my Ranger 6X6. Once the ice house is set, I'll use snowmachines for all the reasons that people mentioned, snowmachines are preferable this time of year, but use a little discretion, ride on the trail early morning, late at night when its the coldest and you'll be fine. If you use the wheeler on the main trail(s) and walk off trail to your spots you'll be okay. And like was mentioned, the "locals" are pretty nice, they help out if you need help. The trail condition reports that I've been getting are that the trail from Lake Louise to Susitna is groomed pretty good and rock hard. From Susitna back its not as good because of wind drifts.

    Here's my shack I'm trying to finish up by Friday.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1286c36551
    Ski's look great and you will love the big hole...the overflow is bad because of the lack of ice...It's there and safe but not as thick as it should be. Lots of snow weighing on it forceing water through it in some spots...Be safe and good luck..

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    215

    Default

    I was out therethis weekend and just to let you know the trails are not groomed on Lousie orSusitna. There is over flow on Louise in Spots and the drifts are horrible. Itonly becomes worse when you get to Susitna Late The drifts are three or fourfeet in places and that is on the ungroomed trail off trail it is even worse.The over flow on Susitna is as bad as I have seen it. Thereís one spot in thecenter of the lake on the trail that is a foot deep of refroze ruts and if youtry to go off trail to go around than it is a foot of overflow. Just to let youknow it not a nice track even on a machine and I donít think you would want todo on a wheeler you will end up mard down in the over flow and digging you selfout at -20

  16. #16
    Member Sly Angler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    37

    Default

    First off that ice shack is sexy. I would love to have a awesome shack like that one day.

    I got a update from a guy at sportsmans today and he caught a 33" and 27" lakers by the front islands a week ago. I guess he chased off another guy who was killing the lakers and taking them home. He said I could see the spot due to the blood on the ice. I hate guys who destroy beautiful fish like that. I really want to thank everyone for their input and I hope to have a great day of fishing on friday.

    I will make sure to stop by the lodge and talk with John. It sounds like we will walk on friday if the drifts get to bad I will have my buddy pull me in the slead with the tackle lol.

    Tight Lines,
    JT

  17. #17
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default

    They are grooming this week so the trail should be like a bowling alley. I think that after the grooming efforts start and you use the trails you should be required to join the Wolf Pack or donate to the grooming fund.

  18. #18
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    They are grooming this week so the trail should be like a bowling alley. I think that after the grooming efforts start and you use the trails you should be required to join the Wolf Pack or donate to the grooming fund.
    http://www.lakelouisesnowmachineclub...Donations.html
    Here is the link for those who would like to join or donate to the grooming fund.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    I was out therethis weekend and just to let you know the trails are not groomed on Lousie orSusitna. There is over flow on Louise in Spots and the drifts are horrible. Itonly becomes worse when you get to Susitna Late The drifts are three or fourfeet in places and that is on the ungroomed trail off trail it is even worse.The over flow on Susitna is as bad as I have seen it. Thereís one spot in thecenter of the lake on the trail that is a foot deep of refroze ruts and if youtry to go off trail to go around than it is a foot of overflow. Just to let youknow it not a nice track even on a machine and I donít think you would want todo on a wheeler you will end up mard down in the over flow and digging you selfout at -20
    Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully by Saturday morning they will have the trail groomed. I'm gonna use my Ranger to tow the ice shack out, and wasn't planning on doing any exploring just get the shack set, rest of the season we'll use snowmachines. I'll have a buddy who is also setting his ice shack he'll have a Ranger and couple snowmachines we'll get it figured out. -20 is not going to be fun though that is for sure.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    They are grooming this week so the trail should be like a bowling alley. I think that after the grooming efforts start and you use the trails you should be required to join the Wolf Pack or donate to the grooming fund.
    Agreed. Our family is joining the year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •