Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polarized fishing glasses

Default Polarized fishing glasses

I'm in the market for a new pair of polarized fishing glasses and was wondering what your favorite make and model is? I am also curious what colored lens would perform the best in low light/cloudy days for sight fishing? Thanks!

I've tried a bunch of them, but I keep coming back to Action Optics. Their pale tan color is just right for seeing gray fish in gray water against a gray background. Gray tones glasses are hopeless for that. A range of brown tones will work, including the yellow a bud of mine swears by, but be careful about going too dark, cutting down the amount of light reaching your eyes during low light periods.

Natives. Its what I use. I see alot of guides along the Kenai are using them too. but others might have a different preference...

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Natives. Its what I use. I see alot of guides along the Kenai are using them too. but others might have a different preference...
    Natives have a fairly decent warranty as well. If I remember right, I sent in the glasses and like $30, I took out the lenses and stripped off the rubber comfort pieces (just so I had extra), I figured they would have only sent back frames but they sent an entire new pair. No questions asked (except for an online form for warranty). They are comfortable and lenses are changeable.

Smith Optics....top notch glass lenses and warranty.

I've used natives and smith optics, both worked great. That is until I dropped all of them into the water at one point or another. Now I just use the flying fisherman $25 Freddy specials and haven't noticed a difference in my fish spotting skills. To each their own, I'm sure I'll end up with another nice pair one of these days.

Fish on!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I wrote the following on a sunglass thread on another board...

"I have a bunch of different sets (native (hardtops), MJ's(cyclone), costas(frigate), oakleys(old blender), aa/smith(freshwater, guide's choice,riptide), and in my home rainforest, I wear the Action Optics/Smiths (guide's choice pc copper) the most - for multiple reasons. To wit: the glass lenses are optically correct, the polarization is very good, the photochromic copper color is a good match for my surroundings and THEY FIT ME THE BEST.

One of the big problems when folks try to compare polarization is light leakage due to poor fit. To be fair, the "best" crapppy plastic lenses with coarse polarization fibers aren't as good as a nice set of glass polarized lenses even if the crapppy ones are mounted in a face-fitting frame, but they will be a dang sight better than in an off the rack frame."

Moral of the story - Everyone's face is different to some degree, so what works best for one fella might be the worst for another. Go to a dealer that carries multiple brands and types and try on a bunch, or go to an optometrist and get your metrics so you know which models to avoid off the bat.

I like oakley flak jackets, not because of how much they cost but because they fit.....RIGHT. Remember shet you pay for shet you get. I never really gave it much thought until I had the money to spend on a good pair. Even after dropping a set in the river I got anther pair. Make sure you get a pair that fits, no light leakage!!!!!!!! Oh and get one of those dorky sun glass bands,for a few bucks they will keep you from losing a pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No joke.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Oh and get one of those dorky sun glass bands,for a few bucks they will keep you from losing a pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No joke.
    Chums are dorky? I must be the king of the dorks...haha. Ever since I started whitewater guiding I have my shades on chums. I think they are pretty convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Chums are dorky? I must be the king of the dorks...haha. Ever since I started whitewater guiding I have my shades on chums. I think they are pretty convenient.

LOL yeah well add me to that list, I can't afford to buy new shades every time I am running the river, and the wind kicks up. I even have ones that float now as well!

I just got a pair of Native polarized from Sierra Trading Post-$120 MSRP-$46 delivered. They also have a good price on some Smith models right now.

I use sun clouds and they are great
    hook, line, sinker, done.

+1 sunclouds with the amber lenses

walmart got the blueblockers for $9.99
    Semper Fi!

Maui Jims, I have 3 sets I have accumulated over the years. Amber, Grey, and Dark Grey. Grey and Amber work well in low light situations, dark are awesome on sunny days.

Oakley Fuel Cells with the Amber lense that work well on sunny and grey days. They aren't cheap but they fit well, work awesome, and mine have RX that are spot on!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Costa 580g green mirror

Mr smolth , you nailed that one , I have worn (persciption) sun glasses for 30+ years now ,and they are a major advantage , I like the amber , with a polorizing coating , inside and outside of the lense , yea there $$$ , but I gotta have them ! I have bought all kinds of makes and models , and leakage sucks , they have to fit your face , maui jims (rx) conoes , work for me !!!

I like the smith action optics. Have polycarbon or spend a little extra and get the glass Try MRFC.com they are always having discontinued models that you can score cheap. Great warranty policy too. Dropped and cracked my last pair. Replacements costed $80 but were $180 when new. The best thing was I only paid $85 when I brought them on clearance.

I use Costa Del Mar 580 lenses in copper. Best shades I have ever owned. Period. That's just me though...lots of great sunglasses out there from LOTS of different companies. Try them on! Great vision through the water doesn't matter if you can only wear them 5 minutes at a time because they are killing your head. Costas! Try promotive.com and join for GREAT discounts on Costas...

Sapper in the Skies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast