Thread: Merry christmas to me! (and you too, but I bet your get in tired of hearing that)

Default Merry christmas to me! (and you too, but I bet your get in tired of hearing that)

So I finally broke down and decided to get my self a good long range (being 300 yards minimum) bug game hunting rifle. but it seemed all the "budget" rifles were cheaply made, and even though the savage is crazy accurate, I wanted to buy something that was short, and felt good. cause I doubt I'll buy another gun for a long time and I want one I will be really happy with. well I went into sportsman's the other day and I saw the marlin XS7 chambered in 308. Ohhh man. that is MY gun I thought to my self, it had all the features of a high quality gun (except the mauser type extractor) and the 380 dollar price tag bought my eye too. the short barrel turned me on too. and don't get me wrong, I like the 30-06 as much as the next guy but I have always wanted a 308 and since it was gonna be my gun and not one given to me I figured I had the choice.

But, like most of us I didn't have that much to spend as I need to save my money till I start working again in april but I worked a few days here and there, and my friend told me he was selling his Mosin negant. now, a negant is something I have always liked, but the long barrel and the fact that its a communist made gun I figured it would be junk, but I asked to borrow it and shoot it a bit so I got some ammo at chemos and went to work. I wrapped my arm in the sling so it was tight and right off the bat shot 4 inch groups at 100-120 yards kneeling. with no feeding issues and the fact that it is SO STINKING EASY to disassemble everything (even the bolt doesn't have any screws or anything) with how the sights were it shot about 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards. I took it to a friends house and we were tasting on a table at 60 yards could hit a pop can every time till at the end when our shoulders were hurting for running that many round as fast as we did. I put it through a few tests and the only thing I don't really like about it is its long. it not to heavy, and the weight defiantly helps with the recoil. ballistics are about the same as a 308 if not higher

the 75 dollar price tag and the 7 dollar a box for ammo, and I go through a lot of ammo in the winter (19 for hunting rounds) was defiantly a turn on....so I got it. Merry christmas to Me! sorry to be long winded.

here she is. I am very happy with it.

Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

boy that things nice and long, looks great, looks like you got a nice blaze king princess behind you too! lucky man.

\
    Semper Fi!

Can't go wrong with your choice. Closer to 30-06 than 308 and my M-44 likes the Wolf 200gr.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Congrats on the new (to you) rifle. New rifles are always a lot of fun. Enjoy!

MyTime

The Bayonet adds to the overall awesomeness of it. if somebody broke into the house I might be temped to grab that with the bayonet and charge um instead of the shotgun. If I had somebody with a 7 foot long gun with a spear on the end running at me I would leave house Fo' sho'
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Congrats on the new gun FFG - you ended up with a fun gun that can do all you want for now. And don't feel bad not getting exactly what you wanted because of lack of funds - that is something we all can relate too!
    Now, say a critter is 300 yards away and that gun is 250 yards long ( counting the pig sticker ) is it still a 300 yard shot or only 50 now?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nice looking gun, can't go wrong at that price! My M44 has never given me any issues and shot straight from day 1, I think you'll be very happy with that gun!

You have done just fine.

Get yourself a couple "spam cans" of ammo, milsurp , and practise, practise , practise, and use the FMJ's for Predators. Buy some more when you can for "Later" as its still cheap "Now". I paid 62$ a case of 880 landed in Kotz 6 years ago, today its 182$ landed, same ammo, same weight in freight. I saw 440 rd cans in anch for 80$ last April.
    When using Milsurp ammo, its a simple "extra step" in the cleaning process to funnel boiling water down your bore and dissolve the salts that the primers distributed down your bore and will collect water from the air. Boiling water also drys itself with the heat it transfers to the barrels metal, and after the flush out, a normal cleaning with solvent, patches, and oiling is pretty near normal maintainace on any rifle after use.

If you do not keep the rifle clean, especcially the chamber, it will let you know. It will be VERY hard to open. This is called "Sticky bolt" , though its really the cartridge being stuck with crud and high pressure from the shooting, and opening it is litterally a "drag" along the rim by the extractor.
    Sometimes, on 'new' guns, fresh from the arsenal, there will be lots of old dryed Cosmoline in the chamber, and after a pounding from a few shots and the heat , it will hold the case hard. This is remedied by using carburator cleaner or solvent of some sort and a chamber brush. Some, like me , use a 20 gauge bore brush and a cordless drill with blasts from carb cleaner and the suprizing stuff comes on out.

With second hand rifles, this may be used to smooth and brighten a chamber if theres no harm in a good scrub. I like the cleaning rod for basic cleaning and snow removal while I try my best for it not to happen, its often enevitable. I like a German pull through for bore cleaning and my rod and brush for the chamber, and be sure to get a basic Mosin tool kit, with Mosin screwdriver, brush, jag , muzzle cap.

The cosmo is there to protect the metal in long term storage for WWIII that didnt come, and the shellac on the wood is there to do the same. You can remove the shellac with denatured alcohol, stain (or not) and oil as any normal wooden stock, and sanding is so unessessarry.

I like the wooden stock and guard come in handy whenyou are out in the cold 'cause you'll carry a frozen steel flesh ripping rifle more than youll ever burn from too much firing. The long wood makes it balance out very nicely for shooting on the swing at running animals.....I practise on Head shooting rabbits, sometimes from mid river, easily, (250 or so yards) or up close and in the willows, not easy at all.

The nomanclature is best said "Mosin Nagant" or 'Mosin" , more polular by its rifle designers name, Sergi Mosin, and the magizines inventer ,a Belgin firm, Nagant bros. , but not 'Nagant', the Russians call their Nagant designed pistol a 'Nagant'

Read up on what you have, you can find SO much info at Gunboards.com forums. Historical info, tune ups, what the marks mean and ect.

The safety is simple to use, lowering the rifle from a shoulder'd shooting position, to placeing the butt in the crook of your right arm and while your left hand is still holding the forestock, grasp the cocking knob and twist to the left, reverse that and its off safe. Your bicep and your fore arm will work together and its an easy stance to assume while shooting/stop shooting. As well the rifles safety locks the bolt down.

No animals complaind about me shooting them with a bargin of a rifle (NOT "Cheap" by any means!!!) verses something more expensive and not nearly as "Cool"..........thouugh the bayonett wont help with accuracy, if its hitting 1-2 inches high at 100 yards, itll be dead on the $$ at 300.

God Bless Sergi Mosin!!!
    Good luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

that was alotta info....I have the cleaning kit, but I'm not sure what everything is, other than the jags and screwdriver. I will mess around with it later if I get the chance. As for long range shooting, Yes I plan on going some squirrel/grouse work out to what ever range I can still see them at, and see what happens. I got the sling technique down to hold it rock solid. If I can't get a grouse with the bullet I will be able to tag it with the bayonet out to 50 yards or so! HeHe. after I took the bayonet off (a worthy opponent) the gun seemed a lot shorter. I've always been a short gun guy, but I like the extra weight for accuracy plus the longer barrel will increase velocity and energy for the big ol browns that hang around the house.

Well,

if you have the issued teardrop shaped screwdriver, you should see three or 4 slots along the side. When you dissasselmble the bolt, a very easy process, and for some unknown reason need to dissassemble the fireing pin (they never break) you can screw the firing pin back in untill its flush with slot on the driver, so that it is even the cocking knobs back surface. Use the gauge across the reassembled bolt face, you can measure your firing pins protrustion.
    This is important if you are reassembling the unit.

The one thing that can and will break is the extractor. This is caused 99% of the time by dropping rounds down into the barrel and not alowing the rim to rise under the extractors claw. 99% of the time doing a drop in wont hurt it at all, but theres that time...especcially with steel cased ammo, as thers no slickness or give like brass.

If you have no screwdriver, the bayonett tip will fit perfectly.

Look over your rifle, then look over www.gunboards.com the forums, learn new and cool stuff about that new Tool you have.......

I have the screwdriver, and a jag, a little round piece of metal maybe 2 1/2 inches long (I assume to go through the hole in the ram rod to make it easier to pull out) then there is the little deal that goes over the barrel to guide the rod, and there is a deal like it sorta but smaller and I have no clue what thats for. it has a hole though it.

I did notice that the bolt is extremely easy to take apart like berthing else on it. I did it by accident and had no problems putting it back together.

You have all you truely need, 'cept the pile of ammo to wear it out

Work on that.

The bolt assembles and dissasembles like a clock, reminds me of an H&K-91 bolt being reassembled (merryXmas from the wife )

But good cleaning is as important as good shooting
    seeing as you have Soviet Tools, then your set to do so the Soviet way........
    Your brush on one end of your rod, your rod through the muzzle cover (to avoid erosive action from your steel cleaning rod) the cover on the muzzle of the rifle,and then to the hollow peice and the rod through it and the cross peice through that. then you can "pump" the bore without the rod touching the all important crown at the muzzle, the brush will rotate with the rifleing and get all the crud out. Then remove the spare gear and use the rod and brush on the chamber with a solvent and wipeing and a light oiling over all that clean steel.
    Boiling water, solvent, your kit and cotton patches, some oil on the bare steel and your ready to go.

I have a conglomerant cleaning kit I carry in my travle bag. Its made from the Russian pouched kit, a German H&K pull through kit and a Finnish Mosin kit with a brass cleaning rod extention and brass jag, so I can clean from the chamber end when using the issued rod, often to remove accumulated snow or mud somehow jammed in there.

When Im out and about, I use a German H&K pull through on my bore, the rod and chamber brush on the chamber. At home I have a one peice rod and such.

One good thing is a box full of cleaning "stuffs" and i often buy cheap milsurp cleaning kits and put em to use. I really like the 10$ Swiss milsurp rod and brush set, I used a couple up allready, lookin' for more

The Mosin Nagant a working mans Tool, your a Farmboy, and millions like you used these to great effect, in various wars. Simple, tough, straight forward, relaiable and its more accurate than its price tag would ever indicate, a true Bargin.

Carry it lots, it'll square your shoulders.

Congrats on a great rifle I hope you are still enjoying it!