Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost my hunting dog tonight

Default Lost my hunting dog tonight

Not a good way to end Christmas night, I lost my Chessie of 11 1/2 years. She was a great dog, a great companion, and a great hunter. I took her to the vet on Saturday, she had pnuemonia, to make a long story short, she walked to the top of the stairs, layed where she always does, and passed. We lost our lab last year in early November, here is a picture them out hunting from a few years ago:

By bigreid at 2006-09-27

I'm sorry to hear that yukon. That can't be easy.

Looks like that dog had eleven and a half years of a darn good life.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

My Condolances Yukon. It is hard to lose a good loyal friend!! ~Mist~

Sorry to hear of your loss yukon, never a good time to lose such a loved companion. I would like to think that she'll continue to put a smile on your face and a glow in your heart as you reminisce about the time you shared together on this earth.

Very sorry. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Jim

I am sorry for your loss. I am sure he will be missed dearly. I can only imagion how I will react when my 9 yo Scout passes. Problem with dogs is that they just don't live long enough. Bud
    Wasilla

Sorry for your lost Yukon.
    Its hard to lose a family member and a buddy.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Sorry for your loss, yukon . . my condolences . .

C. S. Lewis said, "Man with an animal closes a gap in the universe."

How true, but what a gap they leave in our lives when they're gone.

Very sorry to hear about your loss. At least she is at peace now. I lost my chocolate lab a few years back. She was also about 12 years old. She was a very dear friend to me. In time, you will find a new hunting dog companion. And your memories of her will last forever. At least she got to spend one more Christmas with you.

So sorry. I know your pain all to well. Duckdon and Sam

Sorry to hear about your loss, Hunting dogs are the greatest friend a man can have, it just sucks they don't live as long as we do. They do live on in our memories of great hunts, and the goofy antics they put on.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Sorry to hear about your loss Yukon
    I'm dreading the day my old Lab passes away
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Hello old chap, so dreadfully sorry to hear of your friends passing I had a similar event where out in the African Bush
    my loyal friend was torn open and I had to dispatch the little fellow with my side arm,I still tear up when i think of the
    brave little bugger...but he visited me in a dream I had one night ,wagging his tale and running in circles ,so I know hes
    just fine and im sure I heard his bark in the distance the other day...Hek may just be that there is a new pup in your future
    my friend !Collin Guy Duncan (South Africa).

It is always tough when one of your best friend passes. Who ever said money can't buy love never had a good dog!

She was a good old dog, I hated to lose her, it was and is tough for the whole family. She got a good last season in, lots of good times, it won't be the same hunting and fishing without her.
    As a buddy once told me, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for a couple hours, open the trunk and see which one is happy to see you, dogs are truely man's best friend.

Very sorry to hear that Yukon. No one touches a families heart, nor tugs at a waterfowlers more than the loss of a great waterfowler's beloved dog.

DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

There is no good time to lose a partner, though there may be worse. Great photo of the two of them. Bet they were a pair to draw to. I'll raise a glass and give a toast to both of them, and to your family.
    ARR

Yukon, I posted early on in this thread, and again I am sorry for you loss. I just wanted to say that if my dog, Scout passes in the way you described, I would be greatful. He is 9 now, with very bad hips. Finelly took him to the vet in Dec and was very happy to find that there are more modern remedies now to ease his pain and keep him comfortable. I really dread the day I will need to put him down, that will be extreamly difficult for me, but I hate to see him suffering also. Now the drugs are keeping him comfortable and there are some moments in some days that he acts more like a puppy then he has for a number of years, I am thinkful for that. I did not mean to hijack your thread but to use my example as what your dog has avoided by making the decision for you, passing in his sleep in your home is so much perfered over the alternative. Bud
    Wasilla

Sorry to hear about your loss, its always tough to loose a good hunting partner.

Sorry for your loss.

They break our hearts, but couldn't see life without them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast