Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to buy new sheep/goat backpack- seeking forum input

Default Need to buy new sheep/goat backpack- seeking forum input

My old Camp Trails pack is tired. I need to replace it for 2012. I have been examining both the Barneys (similar to my existing pack) and the Kifaru UL. Now I am familiar with the merits of an external frame system as I've used one for 10 years. But shaving off 3-4 lbs initially from your pack weight with the Kifaru has appeal to me. But I have no prior experience with an internal frame. I need a pack that can handle a 125-130 lb load if needed, although I try to go in at 50 lbs or under.

For those with experience with these two makes of packs, please help guide me in my purchasing decision. Neither are inexpensive so I wish to make the best decision possible.

Thanks.

I have used the Barneys, Cabelas outfitter, Mystery Ranch, and Kifaru packs, and my favorite without question is the Kifaru Timberline. It just came out this year and I was lucky enough to get ahold of one. It's just over 5lbs, and although I was skeptical of using an internal frame pack, it was extremely comfortable and had plenty of support, even with a whole sheep. It's all I see myself using for the near future.

The kifaru timberline would probably serve you well. I don't care for external frame packs in the mountains. If moose was also on the menu then the Barney's pack would probably be a better all around choice. I tried the Barney's and decided to move to an internal after my first real trip. I won't be looking back.

I used a Kifaru KU5200 last fall, worked well but I also think for heavier loads that the Timberline might be the better choice. But for lighter loads the KU5200 sure is an awesome pack. If you are near Fairbanks I have both the KU5200 and a G2 Long Hunter.

Steve

Alaska_Lanche and I hunted Kodiak this fall and he was using a Timberline, he had no trouble getting an entire Sitka Buck in his pack plus gear and had some room to share.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Having used Barney's, Mystery Ranch, and Kifaru packs I find I prefer how the Kifaru packs fit me. But pack fit is a personal thing.

Mystery Ranch are darn tough, but at 10 lbs starting weight they are a bit much.

Barney's are pretty much hard to beat for hauling tons of weight. There is a reason most Alaskan guides use these.

I have used both the Kifaru UL 5200 and the Timberline. If wanting to haul triple digit weights on a consistent basis I would skip over the KU 5200. Works great up to around 80-90 pounds. Beyond that I'd want something more substantial.

Most I have had in my Timberline is around 110 pounds. It handled the weight more comfy (to me) than either the Barney's or the Mystery Ranch NICE 6500. Plus at 5.5 pounds with the standard lid its still 3.25 pounds lighter than a Barney's/Pinnacle setup even with the top bar and bottom meat shelf removed.

All the packs listed above are great. Its just a matter of finding which pack meets your needs and fits YOU the best, kinda like boots. What works best for one guy might not be the best choice for the next.

A great internal framer not mentioned is Arcteryx Bora 90. I've used mine for years and packed an incredible number of animals with it. If you are on a tight budget you can likely pick one up on Craigslist or Ebay for a fraction of the price some of the other packs mentioned above. It holds an incredible amount of gear and I've had mine loaded so heavy I could barely stand up! It's a tough one to beat for the money!

go with a barney's,if your thinking of a pack that will last you for the long haul and pack over 100 lbs.......
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Better go visit Wiggy's Alaska before you buy. He has some really good packs (and other stuff too) there.

Like AK_Lanche said, pack fit is a personal thing and unfortunately it's hard to find a Kifaru to try on in most places.

Lots of people are going to tell you to go with Barney's I'm sure. I use one and can tell you that the harness is vastly improved over the camptrails you are currently using. More comfortable, durable, and a greater range of motion. Unlike LuJon, I prefer the way a good frame pack carries under load in the mountains compared to the internals I've tried. Very stable and predictable. The fact that they are 2-3 lbs heavier than a light internal is irksome though!

Yk

I decided to copy Taylor at Wiggy's and go with the Osprey plus a meat frame. Don't want to chance my worn-out back with a full load of gear and meat. The weight of the two packs going in are about equal to one of the big monster packs but with the added benefit of hauling two smaller equal loads out leap-frog style. Takes longer and requires more walking but I won't need to hit the Help button on my Spot. Waiting and hoping to test the theory out next year.

I own a Barney's, so I suppose I am biased, but... there is no way I am going to be even remotely interested in carrying 125-130 lbs in an internal frame pack.
    For the most part Alaskan hunting, to me, is an external frame pursuit. Going in remote and coming out heavy.
    Have you thought about taking a really light pack, like a Go-Light, up to spike camp inside of your external frame pack and then hunting out of spike camp with the Go-Light (or similar pack)?

I've used about everything and all of the packs mentioned have strong and weak points to consider.

I personally prefer Mystery Ranch- although they start heavy, they tend to hold up with heavy loads well and control the load. I went with an uber light pack this year (not one that you mentioned) and walked away dissapointed. I think routinely controlling loads of 100lbs starts to rule out the super lights but YMMV.

I don't like external frames but that's a personal choice- I do have a frame that I use when hauling moose or loads of fish but I won't take it through the mountains. Crashing alders is bad enough without a big frame to hang on everything.

i'd like to try the timberline because i own 4 barneys packs and someday want to NOT BE ABLE TO carry everyone elses stuff...be nice to run out of room for a change! lol
    my barneys have fit me great, but the newest one i'm having trouble getting to ride right, but they changed some of the pin points on the waist belt and i'm moving them back to how the old pack was, should help. bags are bulletproof, frame is a little tougher than bulletproof, bottom line is they'll usually outlast the back they ride on.

that being said, best bet is to try a few one if you get the chance, alaska_lanche has a garage full of packs, i'm sure he wouldn't mind if you spent a week at his house going thru them!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'd like to try the timberline because i own 4 barneys packs and someday want to NOT BE ABLE TO carry everyone elses stuff...be nice to run out of room for a change! lol
    my barneys have fit me great, but the newest one i'm having trouble getting to ride right, but they changed some of the pin points on the waist belt and i'm moving them back to how the old pack was, should help. bags are bulletproof, frame is a little tougher than bulletproof, bottom line is they'll usually outlast the back they ride on.

that being said, best bet is to try a few one if you get the chance, alaska_lanche has a garage full of packs, i'm sure he wouldn't mind if you spent a week at his house going thru them!!
    Stop on by man and try on the Timberline....just remember you still gotta get your own. 'Sides, if you are cubed out the clients will HAVE to carry something. For what you do Jake you and I both know the Barney's is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Stop on by man and try on the Timberline....just remember you still gotta get your own.
    Wow, sounds great. If you have a calendar available please mark me down for the 3rd week in March.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Wow, sounds great. If you have a calendar available please mark me down for the 3rd week in March.
    HAHAA....we'll see what I can do.

barneys...super abusable. i love mine, and will have to get another this next season. four seasons on this one though, and its seen some work. i love em. hoping the new pinnacle bag is as good. i definitely like the green over the black. thats the one thing i didnt like, was the black.

I live in Kansas and have come up for the last 5 years. I have used a Cabelas Alaskan Guide pack and frame and looking forward to using it again this next year.

Has anyone tried a Badlands 4500 on a sheep hunt? I've got one already and I'm hoping I don't have to buy another pack before potentially trying a solo sheep hunt this fall.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Troutnut View Post
    Has anyone tried a Badlands 4500 on a sheep hunt? I've got one already and I'm hoping I don't have to buy another pack before potentially trying a solo sheep hunt this fall.

4500ci is awfully small if you plan on trying to get your entire camp and a sheep in it. When you start strapping stuff onto the back of a pack it really makes it hard on you trying to carry the weight that way.

Load it up and see how it works.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast