Thread: Wesolych Swiat! (any Poles around?)

Default Wesolych Swiat! (any Poles around?)

Wesolych Swiat everybody!!

My wife and I have made up our minds to move to AK and specifically to the Anchorage-Girdwood-Eagle River 'ish area. She is Polish and is big on the food culture and everything that goes with it. I'm just curious if there is any Polish community to speak of in the Anc area. Any info would be appreciated of Polish groups, restaurants, neighborhoods etc where the old country doesn't feel quite so far away.

Thanks,
    Nels

I guess the North Pole is all anyone knows about here.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I found this via google: http://expatpol.com/index.php?stsid=19538&kid=51

I've worked with a Polish electrical engineer in Anchorage, next time I see him I'll ask if he knows anything about the polish community at large.

I haven't come across any polish restaraunts nor do I think you'll find any polish neighborhoods.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

While visiting Anchorage I noticed the stores had polish sausage and in a different section, shoe polish....

The two must be connected somehow.

dah dahdah dah.....

Thanks for the input. I guess I wasn't really expecting any neighborhoods exactly but there are almost always some informal hangouts/import stores/cafes etc.
    I did get a tip to check out the Cafe Polonia over on Muldoon and the polish consul tip looks promising.
    I guess I'll have to chase down the shoe polish lead as well!

Thanks again all, the search continues!

This may be redundant, but are you aware of this forum?: http://www.polishforums.com/polonia-...le-alaska-798/
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist