Thread: Pike fishing

Default Pike fishing

Weres the big pike anyone sparring

Related, anybody have recommendations for pike near Fairbanks?

No idea of any pike near fairbanks but I do know they are usually under the lake ice.
    Not to be rude but anyone in southcentral just needs to look at their fishing regs and find the list of pike lakes. Pick one and try it.
    If I had a big pike spot I would not be posting it here or using the pm feature to tell anyone about it.
    I am not currently spearing ( I am guessing thats what you ment mrpikies) but do plan to go a couple of times from my portable this season.
    Herring/hooligan uon a quickstrike rig near a shallow weedbed or stream outlet have produced for me in the past.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    Related, anybody have recommendations for pike near Fairbanks?
    PM sent......

I like fishing for pike, and I have fished Minto where the big ones are, when I lived up near Fairbanks. But I don't see why pike is such a big secret, especially on a predatory invasive species that F&G claim. I guess maybe around Faibanks it could be the case, but down south here around the valley and Anchorage they (F&G) want them GONE!!!!

Lots of places with pike in the valley. Not sure where you are located. If you are looking for places close to the road system try the nancy lakes area. Red shirt and Lynx lake are great bets to try in my opinion. If you have a snowmachine there are also many lakes to choose from that are equally productive. Figure eight, Flathorn, and just about every lake that is connected by a stream to the Yentna or Deshka rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I like fishing for pike, and I have fished Minto where the big ones are, when I lived up near Fairbanks. But I don't see why pike is such a big secret, especially on a predatory invasive species that F&G claim. I guess maybe around Faibanks it could be the case, but down south here around the valley and Anchorage they (F&G) want them GONE!!!!
    Pike are native to the interior and an invasive species down south... They are tough to find in the Fairbanks area and on the road system.

Thanks AK Iceman, I didn't know ....I learn something everyday.

However, if you can get on Eielson I know most of those lakes near the rifle range hold pike....i used to catch them all the time. I never seen any 40 inchers but I have seen some around 20....

Down here on the Kenai peninsula ADF&G has netted or poisioned most of our pike lakes.
    It is difficult nowadays to find enough pike to have a fish fry.
    ADF&G wants them gone but I still like to be able to catch a few when I go.
    Giving up my spots is a sure way to lose what few places there are left for me to catch them. That or if you give up the lake there is the chance the spot I have fished for years will become too crowded for me to fish there. Not that I can't find another spot on the lake but there is a reason we have what we call secret spots.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"