Thread: Winchester Extreme SS 7mm08 to 284 conversion

Default Winchester Extreme SS 7mm08 to 284 conversion

Hello from New Zealand.
    1st post for me so bare with me. I would appreciate your thoughts as to the Winchester Extreme SS. The plan is to get one in 7MM08 and have it converted to 284 (ive always wanted one) Im told it can be done without too much trouble, I dont want anything over 22' and the barrel twists are the same for the 7mm08 and the 7mmWSM.
    What do Win Extreme owners think of their rifles accuracy,weight, overall thoughts?
    Or should I have a closer look at a Kimber.Ive owned alot of rifles and am experienced at reloading so will be able to get the best from the 284 in a short action, with luck
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Mike.

P.S. Merry christmas and happy new year.

I think that your plan would make an excellent rifle. I have purchased many new rifles including Kimbers and I have been most satisfied with both of the Extreme Weathers I have one in 325wsm and the other in 270. Both are submoa straight out of the box, only mod I have done was adjusting the trigger.

Here is a thread on my 325wsm

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...WSM?highlight=

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Mike - That sounds like a great conversion and I, like Stid 2677, would also choose the Wichstester Extreme Weather for that project - Good luck and Happy New Year to you as well !

George

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Tempest View Post
    (ive always wanted one
    Best reason for doing it, by far! I can't say about the rifle because I just don't know. But as an owner of three 284's, three 7x57's, and a former owner of 7mm08's, I'll add an observation.

I doubt you'll pick up a whole lot of extra velocity in the conversion, mostly because bullets are seated so very deeply in the 284 case, at the cost of powder capacity. I love the 284, but the only one of mine that gives a noticeable jump in vel over the 7mm08 is the one with a longer magazine and throat to allow seating the bullets out with their bases at the base of the neck, fully a half inch longer than "standard" for the 284 round.

If your rifle's magazine allows longer cartridge OALs, by all means have the throat of the barrel reamed to match. I'd make up dummy rounds with your preferred bullets seated as long as possible for the magazine, then give those to the gunsmith along with the barrel for chambering. You'll be glad you did, but disappointed in velocity if you don't.

Thanks for the input lads, Ill have a word to the gunsmith regarding the magazine length and throat depth. The idea is to try and acheive the best out of the extreme short action platform without going to a magnum. Ive just finished playing around with a 300wsm so its time for something new.
    Stid2677 I see you use a Featherweight model 70 how do you find it? They are not availabe here in stainless but are very good price in wood and blue, I had a FW in 280 a few years ago but found it heavy compared to the new ones for some reason. My main meat gun is a Model 7 in 7mm08 which is fine but I think A Winchester should be in the safe to even things out a bit. Longer range isnt too much of a priority I dont shoot much past 400 yards the last two deer I shot (Reds) were 7 and 9 yards respectively.
    Any insights appreciated.
    Regards

Mike.

I have no firsthand experience, but how do the ballistics compare for one of the short 7mm mags- a 7WSM or such? They operate at higher pressures while giving comparatively large case capacities for their length. I don't hear much about them these days, but once upon a time they had enthusiastic advocates.

Thanks for the input lads, Ill have a word to the gunsmith regarding the magazine length and throat depth. The idea is to try and acheive the best out of the extreme short action platform without going to a magnum. Ive just finished playing around with a 300wsm so its time for something new.
    Stid2677 I see you use a Featherweight model 70 how do you find it? They are not availabe here in stainless but are very good price in wood and blue, I had a FW in 280 a few years ago but found it heavy compared to the new ones for some reason. My main meat gun is a Model 7 in 7mm08 which is fine but I think A Winchester should be in the safe to even things out a bit. Longer range isnt too much of a priority I dont shoot much past 400 yards the last two deer I shot (Reds) were 7 and 9 yards respectively.
    Any insights appreciated.
    Regards

Mike.
    I'm very happy with it, the factory stock was swapped out for a McMillan Feather Weight, Leupold 2-7x28 Ultralight LR duplex in a set of Talley's and the trigger lightened. My Reloader 17 load using 180 Accubonds clock out at 2917fps. Weights 7lbs ready to hunt. Have taken game with it to 500 yards. With a 200 yard zero,, -8.20 @300 yards, -23.67 @400 yards.

Steve
    Founding Member

Thanks for the reply Brown Bear and Stid2677, Winchester are producing the 7WSM, it is a superior cartridge but if compared in ballistics charts I dont think the extra 10 or so grains of capacity would really be needed by me out to 400 - 500 yards and they need a 24' tube to get the best out of them most of my hunting is more like jungle warfare than the lovely vistas shown in Stids photos. The local importers dont have any plans to import any apparently the Extreme SS is a very slow seller here. Tikkas are a big seller and i've had two (7mmRM laminated and 300WSM lite) and they are deffinitly lite weight actually the same weight as a Montana. The 7WSM is a bigger bang for your buck but as Stid says the 3006 is good for 500 yards.
    Long range is a real fashion here at the moment every other person has shot game at 700-800-900 plus yards, of course 99% are total twats that havnt shot a thing past 150 they really get twitchy when the question of ethics is put to them.
    The Extreme SS is $2000nz and the Featherweight is between $1300 and $1600nz so possibly a Featherweight in a similar configeration to Stids would be the way. What sort of groups do you get from the Featherweight Stid and was it differcult to work up a load for that calibre with such a thin barrel. I get right on MOA out of the 18.5 inch Remington and 2800fps with 308 Lapua brass and 140gr gamekings all up weight with a 3x9x40 4200 and weaver rings she goes 7lb 4oz so the lite Featherweight in a long action calibre is quite interesting.
    cheers
    Mike.

What sort of groups do you get from the Featherweight Stid and was it differcult to work up a load for that calibre with such a thin barrel.
    Mike.
    Mine was pretty easy to work up loads for. I think I can improve my 180 grain Accubond load, but even as is, it worked fine this fall.

This is my 150g Accubond load @100yards

This is my 180g Accubond load work up ladder and 200 yard zero target.

Barnes TSX and ReLoader 19 loads

Good luck
    Founding Member