Thread: Christmas Eve Ft Rich moose

Default Christmas Eve Ft Rich moose

My wife's Christmas Eve present of a young bull moose to herself!!

xmas moose2.jpgxmas moose7.jpg

9 straight days of hunting/hiking miles from dawn to dusk; 4-hour stalk; 3 feet deep snow; double lung pass-through shot on a young bull.

5 hours to field dress with headlamps and pack out in the dark.

Bowtech Soldier bow/52#; Maxima 250 arrow; Muzzy 3-blade 100-grain broadhead.

Wow, Now that's some Holiday Season Celebratin' goin' on,

What a Gal, What a team, Congratulations

What a FIne Meat Bull that's gonna be also, well done,
    and thanks for the post and pics
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I think her smile says it all. Got to love making meat in the snow, so much easier to keep clean and care for. That Bull will make for some fine table fair. Congrats to you both, you are truly bless indeed having such a hunting partner!!!

Merry Christmas

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Very nice!!! Packing a moose in deep snow has GOT to be TOUGH work!!!! Congrats to you both!

-akiceman25

Back strap for Christmas dinner yummy. Congrats.

congrats Lone Wolf I wish I could have been out there yesterday but was busy doing last minute shopping. I'll be back in the game tommorow morning... still trying to fill the freezer and tag sandwiches are getting old.
    Hunt, Fish and drink beer with friends.........because life is to short to work all day.

Excellent Job! It would have been nice to get one early in season but more rewarding when it takes this type of effort. You guys will remember this hunt forever.

I think I recognize your kill site . . . great place for moose.

Merry Christmas! I'm sure yours will be busy. Congratulations!

Congratulations!! It's hard to beat collecting meat with the mystical path of the arrow!!

Congrats on the Christmas Moose !!!!....Nice !!!, FT Rich pumped out alot of Moose this year, theres something about that place, and the number of bulls that hold up in there......amazing !!!

That is very cool that you were able to take a moose on Christmas eve. I bet that moose was a lot of work but well worth it. Congrates!

Congrats to you, I got mind within 2 days of Christmas back in 09 I'm sure your still pumped up If this was your first one....

One shot? Broadhead pass through? Curious as to how your arrow / BH combo worked for you. Debating a FMJ Dangerous Game 250 spine arrow with a SteelForce Premium 2 blade broadhead as my next arrow / BH purchase......

xmas moose17.jpgLike the OP says, she got a double-lung pass through. Nicked a rib on entrance and exit. Bowtech Soldier bow/52#; Maxima 250 arrow; Muzzy 3-blade 100-grain broadhead.

She almost went with a Magnus 2-blade (with a "bleeder" blade, making it a 4-blade?) as it had slightly better "cut-on-contact" broadhead target penetration and great flight characteristics. However, Ft Rich made her qualify with only one broadhead style, so she went with the one she'd been practicing with the most. Anyway, the Muzzy performed flawlessly.

You shouldn't need Dangerous game FMJs for anything up here. I did a test with the dangerous games and the regulars, and the FMJ 340s had better penetration and shot flatter. I also just shot a moose on Ft. Rich with FMJs and 100 grain slik-trick magnums. It went through the scapula and embedded itself in the spine at 27 yards. Never stood up.