Thread: Which 870 Barrel?

Default Which 870 Barrel?

I have a remington 870 that I want to setup as a camp bear defense shotgun. The 26" barrel is just waaayyy too long and I want something more suitable for close range, wet your pants, trying to hit anything brown/black type situations. Which barrel should I purchase? And, which slugs should I use? I have thought about it quite a bit and do not plan to load buckshot and slugs, I will be loading strictly slugs. I want the first shot to count in close quarters so I am leaving buckshot out of the equation.

I ask because my family will be camping with my quite often this year and I want something with a little more punch than just a 44 mag, and if need be, I want something that my wife can shoot too. My 329 isn't that firearm, and hope to get her out on the range with the slug gun for practice.

Default 870 barrel

I have several 870's and i use the 20" rifled barrel when i travel to Alaska.

Go with the shortest legally available. I think it is 18 inches.

Hastings rifled barrels -- very accurate-slugs only

http://www.hastingsbarrels.com/barrels.html

I picked up an 870 Slug barrel in 18.something inches from the gunsmith at Sportsmans Wharehouse for 70 dollars, came with rifled sights even, not beaded. Its worked great for me, I dont see why you would need some kind of custom expensive barrel for your needs, when you could buy a mossberg shotgun for the price they are asking for them these days. You could even get a gunsmith to cut your 28 inch barrel down to 18 or so inches, if you dared. but honestly for the price of a new barrel, get a cheap mossberg, and bring along the 870 with the long barrel and then you have 2 guns to use at camp.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default barrels

Mossberg also makes barrels for the 870 REM.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !