Thread: advice for my 3 year old

Default advice for my 3 year old

I have next week off from work, and would like to spend that time teaching my 3 year old son the joy of fishing. The only problem is the places that I fish are all full day expeditions, and I would like to start by taking him out for only about a half hour at a time. Does anyone have any advise on where I could take him in the valley to start catching fish? I am not looking for any secret spots, I would just like to make sure that my week off is spent with my son in the outdoors and would love to see him hook up with his first fish. Thanks for your help.

biglake? what part of the balley are you in?
    Semper Fi!

I am in Palmer.

jim lake might be good one for you.
    Semper Fi!

Thanks for the help greythorn3

Hi Trapper Dan,

Another suggestion would also be to take your little guy out to Finger Lake near Palmer. You should be able to drive on the lake if it has been plowed. Fish where the others have near the island off the camp ground OR the island near the Elks Lake Lodge on the other side of the lake. Should be some holes already drilled you could poach. Try small glowy jigs with pop corn shrimp, pautzke jarred eggs or fresh roe. Bobbers are fun for the little ones or fish just off the bottom with a tight line. Be patient pard. By next year ADF&G will have more and better catchables in Finger Lake and he will be alittle older. As you know with the wee ones, its got to be FUN!!! Good luck!!!

Trapperdan

Jim lake is next to impossible to get to without a 4 wheeler or a sledd this time of year, it's VERY shallow and closed to all salmon fishing..........Finger lake, 16 mile, any of the lakes in the "bradley lakes rec area" all are kid freindly an wont take all day to get to. I have been taking my son out with me since he was 3 weeks old. Snacks are important, remember his total attention span is shorter than the time needed to put a hole in the ice, when he says "thats it" thats it! Little ones get cold stunningly fast, keep a close eye on his face and hands. Keep it fun! Play "fish hockey" Keep it fun! You and your little one will have a blast as long as you don't get serious about it, nothing puts a child off winter fun faster than an adult who wont call it quits or gets caught up waiting for that "big one"..........
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

well that the road into Jim lake is a nasty 2 track in the SUMMER! It is virtually impossible to reach without a sled or wheeler this time of year! It is also closed to all salmon fishing and too shallow to hold all but the smallest char over winter.
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 12-26-2011 at 03:36. Reason: remove text
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Thank you guys for the great advise. We will probably be heading out to Finger Lake hopefully a couple times this week as long as it doesn't get to cold. Rick P thanks for the heads up on Jim Lake.
    Merry Christmas

woah woah woah, just cause you cant get there easy doesnt mean we all cant. its easy to get to jim lake in the winter, theres pleanty of fish because people like you. and its nice and quiet.
    Semper Fi!