Thread: Scope recommendations for Tikka T3 300 wm

Default Scope recommendations for Tikka T3 300 wm

I just purchased a new Tikka T3 300 WM for myself for Christmas. I am wondering if anyone has a scope recommendation for the gun. I plan on hunting sheep and goats with it primarily? Suggestions?

Either a leupold vxII in a 2x7x33 or vxIII 2.5x8x36. Other guys on here use ziess scopes as well. I like the redfields but I cannot get a straight answer on where they are made at.

The Tikka is a nice light rifle, but in 300 WM I'd go for a VX2 3-9x50 to get that extra light gathering capability and a little more magnification for a longer shot that the .300 is capable of doing. I have several 2-7x33's and they are great scopes but they just don't pick up light at dusk and dawn like the 50 mm objective will. Only issue for me is you must mount the 50 a little higher than the smaller scopes...it's a trade-off.

Depends upon what you want to spend, but I have had pretty good luck with Burris for the last 20 years or so also. Their second tier scopes are right there with Leupold.

I just put a new 4x Redfield on a CZ 22 Mag and it is a nice scope too but I'm with 323, don't know enough about them yet to make a recommendation.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I would start with Leupold and work my way up from there.
    Now what ?

Throwing a Hubble telescope on a lightweight rifle kind of defeats the purpose. I'm a believer in ranging reticles, so I would put a Leupold 2-7x28 Ultralight LR duplex or if you want more light a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with Rapid Z 600 reticle. I have both and both are great scopes. Not taking anything anyway from the Leupold, which is lighter, but the Zeiss scopes give me about 15 minutes more shooting light. I have had both side by side as it got dark and I can shoot in darker conditions with the Zeiss. But for hunts like sheep with long packs and long days I choose the Leupold 2-7x28 Ultralight LR duplex for my light weight rifle.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'm probably going to be going to fixed 6X for my lightweight rifles. Simple no BS, good light gathering and only 10 oz. After the first of the year Leupold Custom shop can fix ya up with CDS dials in both simple MOA or custom dials for your bullet data for FX-II scopes. That FX-II 6X36 scope is pretty nice. Much better eye relief is better than the Leupold 3-9X33 ultralight I had, which is something to consider on a magnum cartridge in a lightweight rifle.

Just FYI Luke the Leupold 2-7x28 Ultralight LR duplex, only weighs 8.2 ozs

http://www.riflescopes.webyshops.com...ss-Black-63075
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 12-26-2011 at 08:35.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have 2 Leupold 2-7x28 ultralight scopes and they are fine glass but for the 5.5 ounces differences in the 3-9x50mm it is well worth the additional weight....IMHO. That Tikka in 300WM will kick the snot out of you and you don't want to climb that stock or whatever scope you put on there will bite hard.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Just FYI Luke the Leupold 2-7x28 Ultralight LR duplex, only weighs 8.2 ozs

http://www.riflescopes.webyshops.com...ss-Black-63075
    Thanks Steve. Yeah I realize its 1.8 oz lighter, but on a hard kicking magnum I like a bit more eye lief and light than what I experienced on my previous ultralight Leupy. Just not quite what I'm looking for in a scope.

I put a Leupold FX-II 6x36 on my Tikka .300....very happy with the results and well suited to the terrain where I hunt. I'd also be equally happy with a 4x33.

I didn't like the stock rings but they did fine and are relatively lightweight themselves. Don't stick some gollywog scope on that gun, it'll defeat the purpose of having a light rifle. Also a heavy scope on a light rifle tends to get battered a bit more in the recoil cycle...probably insignificant in the great scheme but it happens.

Leupold VX 3 in 2.5 x 8 by 36mm or a 3.5 x 10 by 40mm and maybe one of those BC or some other fancy reticle if you know how to use them. They are not nearly as big and heavy as some scopes are. I think they transmit all the legal shooting light a guy can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Depends upon what you want to spend, but I have had pretty good luck with Burris for the last 20 years or so also. Their second tier scopes are right there with Leupold.
    I had my second tier Burris get out shinned by my wifes cheap Pentax. The Burris did not like the rainy weather we were in. I couldn't see worth a crap and it hurt since I though I loved my Burris. But then my wife hated her Pentax since it decided to embed it's self into her forehead when she pulled the trigger Now im in the market for more eye relief for her.