Thread: Mold on hides

Default Mold on hides

I have a chance to pick up a few hides on the cheap. 18 marten, 12 mink, only issue is that they have been cased and dried but they are a year old. A few of the hides have some mold on them. Are they ruined? Thniking of getting them tanned for decorative purposes but don't want to waste $ on hides and tanning if they aren't any good. Any experience with this?
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I have a chance to pick up a few hides on the cheap. 18 marten, 12 mink, only issue is that they have been cased and dried but they are a year old. A few of the hides have some mold on them. Are they ruined? Thniking of getting them tanned for decorative purposes but don't want to waste $ on hides and tanning if they aren't any good. Any experience with this?
    If they were properly dried a little light mold does not seem to hurt, be sure when buying any hides, they are properly sealed and it is lega lfor you to buy the raw hides. ~Mist~

Thanks mist, I do know the marten were sealed so OK there. As for buying hides, I never guessed it may not be legal. I will probably pass then, don't want any issues! Merry Christmas!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Mike, you can buy them just fine. You can't buy with the "intent to sell" w/o a furbuyer's license (easy to get). But buying for yourself is fine.

Mold shouldn't hurt (if it isn't too bad). A little moisture can do that. However, I'd get them tanned ASAP.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Spray a little bleach on them is the divse I was given by some experienced fur workers. make sure the bleach/water ratio os pretty low on the bleach side
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Spray a little bleach on them is the divse I was given by some experienced fur workers. make sure the bleach/water ratio os pretty low on the bleach side
    Yup. I have done the same thing on hides that have some green belly. I use a 10% bleach solution and it works great.