Thread: Merry Christmas, Ak River Rat!

Default Merry Christmas, Ak River Rat!

I know you're going through some tough times right now, but your friends here wish you well and a very merry Christmas!

Jim

What's up? pm me if needed. Thank you.

He couldn't take the cold of another interior Alaska winter so he went to Arizona for a while to get some radiation for a bit of bothersome cancer. He'll come out of this fine. I know he will.

Merry Christmas!

Jim

Yeah he will kick it and be back in the river with a fine pup at his side in no time!

Merry Christmas, and I hope all goes well!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Ah crud. That explains why he wasn't available. Came home to find out the ol' baiting pard has some kind of cancer too. Then a long time family friend is going in after the new year for one heck of a run of radiation treatment. Tell me again why we can't find a cure for this crap? Oh yeah we need the money for making get hard pills

I pray for a speedy recovery to AK River Rat,, I hope that he is back running rivers and bear baiting with friends and family. Sure seems like the "Big C" always attacks the good folks. Sure was a good time when we had the spring get together at his place on the Chena.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    I know you're going through some tough times right now, but your friends here wish you well and a very merry Christmas!

Jim
    Jim, we all had a great Christmas down here in Arizona. It was a little different without snow, but I suppose everyone has a brown Christmas sometime in their life. Old man Hoffman and I were sitting around watching some good looking dogs work on ptarmigan in some familiar areas, and who should appear on the screen? Jim McCann! We definitely got a kick out of that. I've seen very few impressive dogs on the hunting channel, but it was obvious that you spend a lot of time working with yours.

I'll let the old man know there's a message for him on here.

-Eric

Good for you guys, Eric! You really should spend your time studying instead of watching trashy hunting shows.:-)

Jim

Even though a bit late, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of our Forum Friends. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes. I am indeed a lucky man, regardless of the cancer. I got to spend the holiday with my whole family, well, Roca stayed in FAI w/ a friend, and we had a great time together. Actually, we are still having a grand time.
    I know it does not have to do with dogs, but treatment goes well, no setbacks, lab work looks good all in all, and I feel fine. The folks at Cancer Treatment Center of America really do a fine job. I have not one time felt like a number. And as a bonus, the food is really good. I'm beating this thing, getting healthier everyday, and intend on getting back home and making up for lost time. Looks like end of February will find me setting foot back in snow country.
    Eric was right, we both immensely enjoyed the program with Jim and his hairy hunting companions. Especially since we have hunted the same area. Maybe one of these days we'll do it together Jim.
    You folks all take care, keep in touch, and know that I am watching, even though it is from afar.
    Life is good. Embrace it,
    ARR

Open invitation, Greg. Anytime you want to go.

Jim

Quick upate. My son and I headed off to the desert Monday and managed to find a few quail. We brought home 2. That is 4 bites, if you cut the bites small. Little buggars are a hoot, that's for sure. Ptarmigan are doddering old fools compared to quail. What a different place to be for an Alaskan born son. I spent more time looking at all the different things than for birds. The desert is interesting to say the least.
    Treatment continues to go well. So far, no ill effects from the radiation other than my blood numbers are off a bit. The people here are great and I have a lot of fun with them. I keep them on their toes for sure. My daughter and I get to go to a pro hockey game on Saturday compliments of the center, that should be fun.
    I met a lady from ANC w/ my same last name. Patty is a sweetheart and a bit older than my own brother. I decided she needed adopting, so made it happen with a hug. Sent a note to my brother and sisters that I added one more sibling to the list. They were pleased.
    I don't count days, either forward or backwards. They are meaningless to me right now. I live for today, and plan tomorrow (mainly so I'm not late to treatment or meals) and let the rest go. I'll continue to say it; there are people here in much worse condition, and they could use every prayer and positive thought you've got.
    I thought about something today when I was listening to somebody that was dealing with stress:
    1- Accept gifts as they come, in whatever form.
    2- Acknowledge your rewards. Don't ignore them, otherwise the negatives get too big to deal with.
    So, thank you for your gifts to me. Each one is important, and valued.
    ARR

Great news, Greg! Wishing you the best.

Jim

We don't know each other Greg but I have enjoyed reading your posts and pictures over the years. I am wishing you the best. It sounds like you have a good attitude about your condition and as you know that always helps.

Terry Sacora

Hey Merry Christmas to all of you. I hope you will have fun.

ONE WEEK LEFT, YEEEEHAAAAAAWWWW!!!!!!
    I just put my wife in the limo to go back to the airport after a near perfect, but rather short weekend. We had a blast, and to top it off Labman made it for overnight. We did a little celebrating as there is a lot to be thankful for. The time here has flown, but I've missed home. Well maybe not record breaking cold wx, but other than that, I'm looking forward to being back.
    I've got labs this morning, and with a little luck my blood will quit acting the fool and trying to slow down the process. If the numbers come back good, then I'll get a full 5 days of treatment in, and Friday will be my last day. I laid awake in my wife's arms thinking about all of that. WOW!
    I've been gone from home since Nov 30, and will have been in treatment for 9.5 weeks when I'm done. Up front it seemed pretty daunting, now, I'm wondering how the time flew by. I can't say one darn good word about cancer, but I can say CTCA, the "stakeholders" (employees) and other patients and caregivers I've met are really good people.
    I've been a bit of an instigator so they all claim. I'll profess my innocence though. I do have a "possee" of guys going through the same thing and we do find a myriad of ways to have fun. These Lupron shots have kicked our butts, or made them fat, and given us lots of fodder for stand up comedy. Man, that stuff stinks. Hot flashes and big bellies, not what I wanted to do in my 50's.
    This journey would have been tremendously harder without all of the support. I've received phone calls, cards, gift boxes, notes, PM's, and prayers. I've had people pray for me I barely know. I've had people call just to follow up, and we only met once. I even got one of those big jars of jelly beans from our HR Manager, w/ only 4 beans in it as a tease for me to hurry up and get home. Oh, does she get it when I step back in the office. She is first on my list. Then there is the cancer survivor at work who has led the charge for gift boxes and cards. Nona is one of the most amazing people I've ever met in my life. She is one step above cool, maybe 2.
    If you have to be someplace to fight cancer, this is the place. Cancer Treatment Center of America has a plan, and a program, to treat you respectfully while kicking cancer's ass. Pretty simple, pretty amazing. And the food is good too as evidenced by the weight I put back on while here.
    Since this is the Upland Forum, Labman and I did make one more trip to the hills to chase bunnies, quail and dove. One bunny and one dove came home w/ us, the quail were too tough. That was Super Bowl Sunday, so we got to celebrate one more year NOT sitting home to watch the game. It was just like home, nobody was out and about, so no competition.
    See you folks soon,
    ARR

Absolutely great news, Greg! You're a lucky guy for sure.

And you are indeed an instigator! I could just imagine what sort of shenanigans went on down there. And I'd have been right there alongside you if I were there! If you're up to it, I need some photos of a hunter and his flushing dog hunting ptarmigan this spring for a magazine article. We have until the end of April.

Great news. Come home soon.

Your friend,

Jim

I'll be there soon Jim, count on it.
    Tonight I held a man whose wife is losing the battle with cancer. Time is measured in hours now. In his grief he asked me how I was doing. It's pretty **** hard to look a man in the eyes and tell him you are going home when he is losing the woman he loves. I am lucky I get to go home and have more time w/ my wife. This makes my journey even more poignant and vividly reminds me that life is precious.
    If you pray, please pray for Bob and his family at CTCA. They need it.
    ARR

I hear you, Greg. Very sad. And I often think of the poor children, like those at St Judes, who are suffering some form of catastrophic illness. I did Hunt of A Lifetime for several years and I still have photos of the kids I got out hunting; kids who are no longer with us. Life is indeed precious,and sometimes fleeting.

Come on home, my friend.

Jim