Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good predator rifle?

Default Good predator rifle?

I have a friend who likes to go hunting for fox, lynx, wolves, ect. and i would like to join him but i need a good all around rifle that wont blast a hole in the animal. I was thinking about a .223 AR or a .17, any suggestions? I'm not made of money either so i don't want to spend more than about $1200 on a rifle. Any ideas would be great.

You could get a pretty solid AR and scope for under $1200 and be very happy with it. There are several great options of bolt guns but everyone needs a AR in the family and what better time to get one.

In my opinion, my ultimate AK predator rifle is either an AR10 in .243 or an AR15 in 6.8SPC. I would lean towards the AR15. I prefer these cartridges because I like to use heavier bullets in case I get an opportunity to put down a wolf or have to make a longer shot. On top, I would have a red dot or a low magnification scope (max 4X). Almost all of the shot's I've had at predators up here have been less than 100 yards, and I've taken 2 lynx and a fox with a shotgun at less than 25 yards.

That being said, I do all my predator hunting with a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 Win with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10X. I got the whole package brand new for about $750 while bargain shopping.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I have a .204 and love it to death even shot a wolverine with it this year.

My choice is a 17 cal centerfire that I can handload. I am over on Kodiak so my predators are just our fox. For fox or lynx any of the centerfire 17s will be great, excellent killing power and very gentle on pelts with good shot placement. I would shoot a wolf in a second if he was inside 100yds and had the right shot, but if wolves were the primary target I would go bigger. I shoot a thompson contender carbine, so its a single shot. Pretty inexpensive as far as rifles go, and you can buy barrels in just about any caliber you want.

Anything will kill fox, just depends on how much sewing you want to do. I also tote a 475 Linebaugh in the pack while calling, I'd hate to see 800lbs of interested bear come looking for that dying rabbit while I hold my single shot 17M4. As stated above most shots tend to be about 100yds and in, with the occasional long shot so you don't need anything too potent.If fox are the primary customers they are very thin skinned small bodied critters. Inside 100 the little 17hmr does an excellent job if you can hit the spot.

If your looking to get some "fur" and use or sell it, a .22 magnum is the BEST Fur round out there, and if thats not good, .30 cal with FMJ's are the ticket as they will hole bones rather than bust them into fragments and shred skin.
    .17 type rimfire is around this neck of the woods, but most "Fur" hunters I know have set theirs down and returned to .22LR.

a .22LR is a wellproven round, and more than anything ,is accurate and a nice heavy bullet for range, as well, it is available anywhere.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I agree with stranger about the .22mag being one of the best fur rounds out there. It has it's limitations, but they're few. If you're going to do much night hunting and shooting through brushy areas, I prefer my larger 6mm with FMJ's. My .22mag has done a great job though and hasn't let me down. For your price range, you could get a nice CZ .22mag and a good scope, scope covers, sling, and some ammo to boot. My CZ is a real tack driver and one of the smoothest actions I've seen in the rimfire's.

How big of an exit wound is that .204 leaving? I have one and mistook a housecat for a fox last year. It blew the whole opposite shoulder to pieces! Don't think it would do much less to a fox.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhemi View Post
    How big of an exit wound is that .204 leaving? I have one and mistook a housecat for a fox last year. It blew the whole opposite shoulder to pieces! Don't think it would do much less to a fox.
    You don't have to kid with us. We know that you knew what you were shooting at

i just got a rem 799 minimauser in 223. i am very pleases with this gun. it is short, compact, and light wieght.
    caliber wise the two favorites of mine are the 223 and 17hmr. 223 is the best all around pred caliber but the 17 is more practical for the average fox, lynx, coyote...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

I think an AR type rifle would be a good choice. I don't own one (yet) or know much about them, but a 30 round magazine is pretty serious fire power. Assuming you can shoot it worth a darn, your odds at running shots and multiple animals should increase. I would also lean toward the bigger calibers like .243 or 6.8SPC, but that's because I like to go for wolves.

My .204 ruined a fox (blew up) when I shot it in the spine running straight away under 100 yds. I also took a dandy black wolf with the .204. That was just over 200 yds running shot to the neck, instant kill, .20 cal entrance, no exit. I didn't buy the .204 for wolf hunting, but it clearly works with correct shot placement.

Good luck with your new gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st wolf.jpg  

I've thought a lot about this question lately. I shoot a 22 mag and have been very pleased with it. Total set up was $250 used. After some discussion about this in other threads, I decided to head out and get some footage of a 22 mag and 17 HMR in side by side kills. 2 fox in 5 minutes and both were DRT. Almost no pelt damage with either round. Hard to beat that, IMO.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I feel comfortable taking a wolf with a 22 mag. As a result, I've been taking my .243 on wolf hunting trips. This is extremely limiting, because that larger bullet does do more damage on a thin skinned animal, like a fox. I basically feel that when I have the .243 in hand, I'm ONLY hunting wolves.

snowcamoman makes a compelling argument for the 6mm round, and if it weren't for the cost I think I'd be moving that way for an "all around" predator gun.

Whatever you do, avoid the FAST rounds if you want decent pelts. .204, 22-250, etc. are pelt destroying rounds for sure.

Anybody use a 30-30 for predators?
    I was reading through this and remembered way back years ago when I had to shoot a stray dog that was chasing the horses... all I had was my Savage m340 30-30, and winchester silvertips (if I recall) it was about a 50 yd shot and didn't do any noticable damage to the skin at all. Mine is a box fed bolt gun so I could conceivably use bullets with better ballistics than the typical round point lever gun rounds, for a little extra range...

The .204 with the 40g, 32g, leaves a huge exit hole because of the tips i put a big whole in a fox with the 40gr, but if you can find the 45 gr the are by far the best bullet out there and i do believe its better than any 223 or 17 just my opinion not trying to work anyone up. I feel comfortable to shoot out to 300 yards have friend that shot a fox at 500 with it call it luck or skill but it will do the job. But you need to find the 45gr hornady SP the only place i have found it with out ordering it is the Granite View sporting goods store in Delta i bought the last box they had in October and asked if they would buy more. Oh and the exit wound in my wolverine was a mushroomed 20 cal hole so not big at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    I think an AR type rifle would be a good choice. I don't own one (yet) or know much about them, but a 30 round magazine is pretty serious fire power. Assuming you can shoot it worth a darn, your odds at running shots and multiple animals should increase. I would also lean toward the bigger calibers like .243 or 6.8SPC, but that's because I like to go for wolves.

My .204 ruined a fox (blew up) when I shot it in the spine running straight away under 100 yds. I also took a dandy black wolf with the .204. That was just over 200 yds running shot to the neck, instant kill, .20 cal entrance, no exit. I didn't buy the .204 for wolf hunting, but it clearly works with correct shot placement.

Good luck with your new gun.
    Get the 45gr .204 i promise you will like the out come. I dont think i would chose another small caliber gun, had my 204 for 8 years now shot hundreds of rounds through it and still spot one i can put several whole through dime at a hundred yards have the dime to prove it.

What we have here is the ol trusty 7mm-08 loaded w/ the 150 Scirocco 2 @ 2750 FPS .. Why you ask? Because the Scirooco is a really tough bullet made for magnum velocities and expands min. @ the lower velocities. With high the B.C. of .515 & areo dynamic of the bullet makes it a great predator load. Killing coyotes @ distances of 65 yards to 472 yards the results are the same, an exit hole the size of a nickel or so. It bucks the wind, shoots faring acurrate, and of course I can use the my trusty ol 7-08. Now ya say lets see, so here's the proof in the pudding.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coyote assin 1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	56776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coyote assin 2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	56777

The wife got me a Savage Axis in .223 for Christmas but I broke my leg on 20 Dec and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet let alone try my luck at predator hunting with my son. It's not a spendy rifle but it does have great reviews. Does anyone have one? I hope to shed this cast/boot in another month and be able to walk again and go hunting.

depends on how your hunting. If you're not chasing things around on a snowmachine (where legal) you might not need a high capacity magazine and might prefer a nice bolt action. semi-autos with 20+ round clips are pretty heavy. if you plan on calling chances are you will only get a couple shots max so why all the bullets? most decent rifles/scopes would be under 1200 with .223's/.17's/.22's/.204's all are good for predators. most people are right on with the fmj's, i've tested a few rounds this year on quite a few fox and a wolf from the .223 and by far the fmj's caused far less damage and smaller holes that other bullet types.

Be familiar with page 19 of the hunting regulations while considering your options, wolf and wolverine are classified as big game animals, as such a .22 cal rimfire is prohibited for the taking of these animals, few exemptions withstanding !

The .22 Hornet is oft overlooked and highly underrated IMO.

How about the 243 Win.? Anyone using this cartridge for their predator hunting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast