Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baitcaster and why don't I have one

Default Baitcaster and why don't I have one

I do not own a bait casting reel. I fish almost everything except halibut on a spinning reel of one sort or the other.
    Should I get a bait caster and for what ?

i was the same for a while... but now only use spinning reels for smaller fish... pike and salmon or anything similar in size i pull out the bait caster

I own every one of Shimano's baitcasters, and love them all. A good baitcasting setup can be used on all species of salmon without any problems. I use my Lamiglass Kenai Special with a Shimano Cardiff for nearly everything you can imagine. Along with the versatility, I find it a whole lot easier to cast accurately with a baitcaster than with a spincaster.

The only thing about them is the nasty backlashes that you can get. Yikes... But practice makes perfect, and once you get used to it, you don't have too much trouble!

Spinning set ups definitely have their advantages, but at the end of the day, I like a baitcaster over a spincaster.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Much better drags in the bait casters then the spinning reels. Doesn't twist the line as bad also.

My issue with a bait caster is one backlash can end your day. I remember last summer loving it, fishing just fine for 3 hours or do. Then the person next to me catches my line as I was casting and had a rats nest I had to just cut off. Reminded me why I preferred spinning combos.

I always carry an extra spool of line for that ratnest issue. I like being able to control the fish with my thumb if he starts getting a little too froggy, and I like the drag better on the baitcasters. I do like spinning set ups as well, and I usually carry both while I am fishing. I find the spinning rods are easier to use in close quarter fishing.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    My issue with a bait caster is one backlash can end your day. I remember last summer loving it, fishing just fine for 3 hours or do. Then the person next to me catches my line as I was casting and had a rats nest I had to just cut off. Reminded me why I preferred spinning combos.
    Agreed, they are awesome until you backlash...

I only use spinning gear in situations [L48] where I need to cast live bait [minnows] without killing it.....much easier with spinning gear.

In Alaska, I troll a lot for lake trout and the revolviing spool reel is far superior in this case.

Many birdnests [backlash] are a result of improper casting technique. The lure must be cast higher than with a spinning outfit. Cast the lure high enough so the momentum is near spent before the lure hits the water. If your cast is mostly horizontal and the lure hits the water while spool is still revolving you are subject to a back lash.

My grandpap always called baitcasting reels "thumb reels." Good name, because if you don't educate your thumb you'll never be happy with them. My first few reels back in the early 1950's were all baitcasters, and not the freespool variety. Heck, there weren't any spinning reels around, and if you wanted to cast, you educated your thumb. Been using them ever since, and never really thought about the learning being something the average guy couldn't pick up in about 15 minutes.

Just use the baitcaster on the Kenai to do the Kenai flip every where else use a spinner and Merry Christmas everybody

Thanks everybody. Got me thinking about a bait caster. Merry Christmas to all.

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    I find it a whole lot easier to cast accurately with a baitcaster than with a spincaster.
    i couldnt disagree more... for me its the exact opposite

One of the keys too good casting with a baitcaster for me is setting the spool pressure.
    Adjust the little knob on the side until youre lure is just able to fall freely while untouched and in freespool.
    If your lure falls too fast you risk a birdsnest and if it doesn't fall at all you will loose some of your casting distance.
    Also birdsnests can be fixed fairly easily most times.
    When you have a birdsnest find the line that is bent around or holding back the line going up the rod to your lure.
    With the reel in freespool pull on this line until the loop comes free and you can again unwind some more line from the reel.
    Repeat as neccessary. Most birdsnests will come out with this method.
    Kinda like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgJThgKpZ6s
    Really not all that hard to get most of them out.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Might just have to pick one of them little tools up!

I saw a tourist (I am assuming) this summer at Ship Creek who had brought a brand new rod/bait casting reel. I swear the poor guy must have bird nested about 95% of his casts. The cool thing is that he kept on fishing for a couple hours before finally giving up!

Default More presentations!

I asked that very same question years ago. I primarily bank fish for Salmon and quite simply a bait caster means my lure or bait gets more time in the water. Especially when drift fishing for kings and for silvers. Overall I would say that in comparison to a spinning reel I am in the water about 10 to 15% more per day of fishing (less steps required in casting with a bait caster). But I do agree that it takes a bit to get the hang of a bait caster, but heck that's what the off season is for.

Okay, so now that everyone wants one...which one is the best? Looked at line at the Shimano and Ambassador's - Looked like a lot of good reels. Mainly looking for a salmon reel...so which one does everyone like the best?

My favorite is my Shimano Calcutta. Everything about that reel is very smooth. And it has stood up to 3 fishing seasons so far with out any problems. My Abu Garcia's usually need a little bit of attention at the end of the second season.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

+1 on the Calcutta. I like the 401 TE for kings, a little spendy but you know what they say, you get what you pay for. For Silvers I use the Durado 201 DPV.

I use baitcasters and have for years. Once you get the hang of it it becomes second nature and Ratnesting almost never, and if you do you work them out very quickly. The accuracy of these things is second to none IMO. I used to use spin set ups for years and still do on the odd occasion (good for really light finesse style fishing). We flick lures for 8 or so hours straight here every weekend chasing the barramundi in Northern Australia and 90 per cent of the guys use baitcasters. I recently bought myself a nice new Shimano Chronarch 200E combined with a St Croix Avid series 6 foot Medium fast rod and I could flick this thing in my sleep. Love it!
    Last edited by Chris79; 12-26-2011 at 20:09. Reason: wrong rod details and per cent button

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast