Thread: Kenai newbie

Default Kenai newbie

Hello all. Been in the Kenai area for about a year now. Recently started gearing up for ice fishing. Don't have a clue as to what I'm doing lol. I have been doing reaserch online , reading everything I can. I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to what lakes , bait. Ect ect. To use. Would like to go after some dollies, and trout. Was thinking stormy lake. Any suggestions would be apreciated it would also be nice to make a friend or two in the area with similar interests . Someone to go do some fishing with.

Stormy used to be good for char and rainbows, but the pike got them all I think. There may still be a few killer pike to be had in that lake.

I would recommend Spirit/Elephant Lake off of Strawberry Road if you have a snowmachine.

Egumen generally has some nice fish. Nest off of Swanson River road has been a good producer for me over the years. Skilak produces some nice fish at the outlet (rainbows and lakers) if the ice is good. Things really haven't heated up yet this year.

Stormy... went last week for a few hours. Was fishing about 8 feet of water in a good weed bed that I know of from the summer months. The pike may have already moved to deep water for the winter as I didn't see anything but a few fingerling that were smaller than my bait.

I heard rumor the next day that F&G, who has radio tagged a bunch of pike in Stormy, used their tracking gear to home in on a spot that had at least a couple of their tagged fish and they put out a bunch of pop-ups to try and re-catch them. They were unable to catch anything, even though they knew where the fish were. They can certainly be tough critters to catch under the ice.

For a first-timer outing, I'd recommend going to one of the stocked lakes, such as Island Lake or Sport Lake. You can drive right to the lake and won't have to walk very far. At Island Lake, walk from the boat launch access straight out to the island and fish anywhere in between the island and the eastern shoreline. If you get the right spots, you'll be in 10-12 feet of water and can see the bottom and all the fish swimming around.

Your best bait option is just a jar of cured single eggs. The pink (shrimp) ones do well. Put it on a little hook and jig it around just off the bottom. A lot of times you'll attract in more fish if you also use a flasher of some type. You can jig a spoon over your egg or try putting an egg right on a Swedish Pimple. While I have a tackle box full of various gimicky jigs that you can find lined up at the ice fishing section of the stores, I've yet to find any of them to work very well at all. Keep it simple... something flashy to attract their attention and something that smells/tastes good (to the fish) to encourage the bite.

I'm usually always game for a fishing trip.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I believe stormy was netted for the pike a couple years ago! Anyhow thats when I quit fishing it. I have not done much ice fishing since then. Kinda getten the itch though. might go out and try hidden for some lakers.

F&G has run pike nets in Stormy for years. It hasn't changed the population much. Every spring, the pike girls lay a half-million eggs. Hard to dent that with a net.

Unless they've changed their minds, my understanding is that they simply intend to monitor the pike population in Stormy as long as the fishermen do their part in helping to keep the population in check (5 lines, no C&R, multiple hooks, bait, no closed season, no limit, etc).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!