Thread: Squirrels, help!!!

Default Squirrels, help!!!

Alright all you trappers, I know I can depend on you guys for some good advice! First of all, I'm curious what a guy can do about nuisance squirrels around Anchorage. Then I want to know what you would do about squirrels if you didn't live in Anchorage. These this have set up shop in the roof of my garage and I can't get to them. Meanwhile, they're leaving their mark and damaging the walls of the garage. Please PM me with recommendations on what I can do and where I can get equipment.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Big Victor rat trap ... bait it with peanut butter. Put it up in rafters or somewhere away from kids and cats (unless U have a cat problem too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Big Victor rat trap ... bait it with peanut butter. Put it up in rafters or somewhere away from kids and cats (unless U have a cat problem too!)
    +1 There you go.

These can be placed outside the building as well, if access to the inside is difficult. You can even attach them to the side of your building with a screw, near the point of entry.

Once you're rid of them, correct your building's design problems allowing access points to your attic/roof. Tip: sheet metal is a better barrier than wire. They will chew easily through wire to re-access a previously established access point. Then, you're going to want to get in there and fix all your vapor barrier and insulation they've destroyed.

Out of town, they tend to die of lead poisoning when they start snooping around. .22 CB shorts are great.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Perfect. Anyone have a lead on where I can snag a few large Victor traps in Anchor-town? Thanks all!

Walmart...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Walmart...

Yep, Walmart. We use them for procuring "Survival" food. 100% chance of having breakfast.

last I heard they where worth $1.00 on the Canada fur market. After what they did to one of my outcast raft bags this fall while on my trailer in the Russian river camp ground I say kill them all!

THose Voctor traps work well but I say have some fun with it and bait them, then sit back and pop them with a air-gun. I used bacon grease with great results but also used a real rifle since im not in the city. We had them in our walls and were chewing the place up. When I pulled the sheetrock off the wall I had a huge pile of dog food, macaroni and bread fall out. I got that whole family in one day with a .22 and some patience

Quote Originally Posted by iturner8 View Post
    These this have set up shop in the roof of my garage and I can't get to them. Meanwhile, they're leaving their mark and damaging the walls of the garage.
    Another option is to remove the garage roof, ceiling, and walls. Once all shelter is gone, they'll leave on their own.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

i got some shotguns lets have some fun!! where you at in anchorage ?
    Semper Fi!

Default Scoreboard!

Me: 1 Squirrels: 0
    Good old Victor rat trap delivers a lethal blow in its first couple days being deployed!

A couple yrs ago I had squirrel problems at my cabin... I kept plugging holes they kept chewing... managed to shoot a couple of them with the old Winchester 67 but couldn't get all of them... bought the Decon Blue cubes for rats (and squirrels)... at first the blue cubes kept disappearing... a neighbor told me I needed to drill a small hole through the blue cubes, then attach the cubes to a piece of wood the tree rats couldn't carry off... a few nibble marks on the screwed down blue cube and my trouble ended... The next spring I re-engineered the eves...

Poison does the trick. Provided the squirrel doesn't die, and decompose, in your walls.

In the case of cabins I can certainly see the benefit.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Poison does the trick. Provided the squirrel doesn't die, and decompose, in your walls.
    Or your dog doesn't find it (the squirrel) and end up sick or dead too...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Newspaper box or equivalent, a handful of dog food, and a 120 conibear.

Discreet, deadly, humane. You will not kill a dog or a kid, maybe a cat though...

snare poles baby....if you poison um thn you can't eat um, and I've snapped a couple squirrels with victor rat traps and only one uf them died, the other pulled out....or maybe my dog got to it before me.....Hmmm....Ok, negative on my first post, cause I remembered that I didn't see my dog for a while after that....
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

A cpl years ago I started to notice a smell in our house like a dead mouse. Got worse and I fianlly traced it to my basement chimney door. Opened it and found feathers but no birds and odor got stronger - checked again and the gas water heater was right next to the chimney hole and the exhaust ran up the same shaft. Started tapping on the pipe that hangs over the water heater vent and more feathers - started to take it apart and 2 starlings fell out well pickled - then the smell got worse and I saw fur - squirrel fur - shined light in and there was a charred squirrel head lookin at me - grabbed its ear with my leatherman and pulled - 1/2 half of a very rotten squirrel came out and the absolute worst, nasty, puky smelling odor hit me - I had to wrap a towel around my face and rub Vicks up my nose before I could stand to remove the rest of the pipe and haul it all out! Apparently upon later inspection the squirrels had chewd a hole in the tin chimney guard allowing the birds in - for some reason the squirrel came in too - maybe fell and the gas exhaust pipe looked like a route out for them - I guess they crawled in and died from fumes - what a nasty mess to deal with!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Wow Smokey, appreciate the story and have hilarious mental images of this experience!