Thread: Muskox broadhead

Default Muskox broadhead

I was fortunate enough to draw a tag for muskox this year. I'll be traveling up to Shishmaref in late February. In talking with some of my archery friends, it was suggested that a two-bladed broadhead might be more effective to use for muskox due to their thick haircoat.

I generally use Slick Tricks and have been very satisfied with their performance. I shot a moose this week and she only went 40 yards with a single arrow.

What are you thoughts?

tim

Stick with your slick tricks. My bull died in seconds using Gold Tips with 125 grain slicks. The transporter said he couldn't believe how fast he expired after after being shot. I hit the scapula on the far side, so I didn't get a full pass through, but it cut through the hide with ease.

I used a 125 grain G5 Striker and my 60# bowtech commander for mine. Hit behind the last rib angling forward and pretty much destroyed the off side shoulder. The ox went about 45 yards and piled up.
    Your slick tricks should work great.

I also like the SlickTricks but I would use Magnus Stinger SS 125 grain broadheads. They are pretty much the same as the G5's.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks for your advice. I was considering the Magnus Stingers vs the Slick Tricks. Maybe I will get some and try them out. I don't think I would go wrong with either choice.

Shot my bull this spring on Nelson Island with a 100 grain slick trick out of a 70lbs bowtech @ 25 yards. Went about 50 feet and lasted about 30 seconds. We got three that day and they did not seem all that tough to put down. Either broadhead would work just fine though. Hardest part is picking out the biggest bull and waiting for it to get clear. Also, take some extra arrows and broadheads for arctic foxes.

And good luck! Take lots of before and after the shot pictures, pictures of the village, riding around looking for them, etc. It is a great adventure!
    Last edited by Arrow1; 12-29-2011 at 10:58. Reason: spelling

Thanks for the advice. I shoot a Diamond Liberty at 60# and use 125 gr slick tricks. I look at this hunt as a once in a lifetime opportunity so plan to take lots of pictures, although that is easier said than done. I've worked the Iditarod four times as a trail veterinarian but always end up working so much that I don't take time to document the experiences sufficiently. I'll try to do better this time on my muskox adventure.

I took a bull on Nunivak Is, fall 2010. I shoot a Diamond Stud at 69# w/ Beman ICS Hunters 340. Tipped w/ 100 gr 3 blade Muzzys. At 17 yards & I was not very impressed w/ penetration (bearly more than half of my 29.5 in arrow). However, it died quickly, just like any other lung shot animal (& ran towards the boat as a bonus). I have had complete penetration on quartering shots on
    more than 1 'bou w/ this setup. Don't know if I hit bone on the ox, or if I just needed a heavier rig. Suspect the hair & hide may have plyed a factor too. As always, shot placement will go alot further than splitting hairs over a few grains of weight.
    IMO muskox is the best tasting meat I have ever tried, even better than sheep if you can believe it. Enjoy, they are cool animals.