Thread: Binocular Covers

Default Binocular Covers

i recently picked up an old pair of Hensoldt Wetzlar binoculars, these are German military issue from WWII. The glass is pretty incredible even though they are 50 plus years old. They are missing the original eyecup and objective rubber covers. I plan on hunting with these binos. Anybody have some good ideas for making some kind of covers for the exterior glass to keep out the elements? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a Merry Christmas.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Merry Christmas Swede. Not sure how a guy might go about making them. Not sure exactly which model you have either, but there's lots of HW bino's on FleBay. Some of the sellers are in Germany. It might be a good place to start. Good luck.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Merry Christmas Swede. Not sure how a guy might go about making them. Not sure exactly which model you have either, but there's lots of HW bino's on FleBay. Some of the sellers are in Germany. It might be a good place to start. Good luck.
    Thanks for the idea. after Christmas when things slow down a bit I think I will start experimenting. I'm thinking maybe some rubber inner tube or neoprene might work.

I have make scope covers out of neoprene and leather shoe laces. Make the covers large enough to stretch and connect with shoelace and also attach to the bino's so you don't drop them. If the old waders are large enough you can just cut a section of leg to fit over both ends tightly. Good luck and post photos of what you come up with..

Have you though of using a chest pack instead. I tried several ways of carrying and trying to keep my binos dry and handy and finally discover the Bino chest pack. I have been using one for several years now and find that it works great. I find on need for using the original lens covers or neck strap. It also hold other needed items and it keeps my lens dry and fog free. About everyone I hunt with has started using one.

http://www.alaskaguidecreations.com/binopack.htm

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have to agree with Stid on this. I got one just about the same time he did. Handy little piece of equiptment. Though just be aware after a long day in the rain they do get saturated. A simple waterproofing spray on helps a lot with this though. Then again every other system I have tried in the rain will either get wet for fogged up too so pick your poison.

The chest pack looks like a good option, is looks to be rather bulky though. And George, your idea sounds pretty good with the neoprene and laces. I'll have to see if I can find a piece of neoprene and get something to work. Thanks for all your ideas, keep em coming.

Take a piece of good heavy fleece and cut it large enough to cover the binos. Sew a piece of elastic around the edge to create a pocket that can stretch over the binos. Spray it with a water repellant spray. It can be attached to the bino strap with a small loop or sew an elastic band that will go around the body to keep it snug when crawling. Very quite. Can be used under or outside your coat. Bass Pro Shop sells something like this for around $20.00 that works oh so good.

I cut a couple slots for the neck strap into a piece of gold tanned deer skin, it flips over the lens when protecting the bino, then just flips back when I want to use the binos.

I have a pair of Pentax DCFWP 8x32 Binos and I got Butler creek scope covers for the lenses. This doesn't help you for making your own, but I'm happy with the BC covers. I have a strap mounted cover that slides on the straps and keeps the cups dry and clean when around my neck. I do like the chest system. Good luck. Show us what you come up with.
    Follow me...................

I have a pair of those binos, GREAT glass for how old they are, I really like mine.

I'm going to also agree with the pouch. I have the clean eyes covers on my nice binos http://tangooutdoorgear.com/products.php and then a crooked horn bino strap. Next time I'm going with a pouch. YOu can certainly make a pouch yourself if you have a sewing machine.

tire inner tube...cut in 3" rings and make them look like super wide and big rubber bands, stretch over the lens, front to back. use two and attach to one another with cord or rawhide.