Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Lift Jack

Default High Lift Jack

As a novice rider that has been stuck several times today - I would like to purchase a jack for my snowmachine. Does anybody make them in the valley? Thank you for your input.

A jack to do what???? Try a snobujee. the other thing you can try is get a good length of rope with a small strong hook, hook it thru the window on the the track and ease the throttle to pull yourself out. I do not recommend more the two or three wraps or rope.

I try at all costs to keep from lifting my sleds. Way to to much work for a full day of riding. Walking a short distance out front and packing the snow helps, pushing the snow out from under the front and packing it back towards the track helps. When you feel it going in, shut it down before you trench it helps. With a second rider have them grab the ski loop and give it a tug when applying the throttle ( this is where the snobungee works very well).

A high lift jack is not what you need. Experience and practice will have you up and running the deep stuff without to many problems soon. If you need someone to show you some tips let me know, as I am always up for a ride. Was actually looking for a partner today>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tomorrow my daughter and I are thinking about making a run to Skwentna for PIZZA!!!!!

I use a hi-lift jack out in my yard to break out the track when it gets frozen down or when I just want to run the track. But hi-lifts have no place out on the trail. However, a small snow shovel and a foldable come-along (and small bow saw) have gotten me out of some tough spots when riding backwoods solo.

Quote Originally Posted by AKOxTeam View Post
    As a novice rider that has been stuck several times today - I would like to purchase a jack for my snowmachine. Does anybody make them in the valley? Thank you for your input.
    Highlift Jacks are heavy and simply not needed for anything. I do however, use one out at my ice house to lift the house occasionally to stack extra sets of wooden blocks so the house won't freeze into the overflow.

A rope come along, a shovel, and a saw is all that is really needed. A snow bungee like other's have mentioned are a great thing to have when somebody is there to pull you out. I recently pulled two snowmachines out of a creek with a ratchet rope. One machine was in a tote sled, and the other was my Widetrak LX. I bet the weight of the whole load was over 1,200 lbs.

Keep the rope oiled and have 100 ft. of rope. The 1/2" ropes with a mantle and an outer sleeve work best and don't seem to abrade or fray apart like plain braided rope. I'd rather have a ratchet rope any day of the week over an electric winch that are bolted to the front of some of the newer Bearcats. Some folks on the forum recommended the Stanley Sharp Tooth saws. It's about the fastest cutting saw I've used.

The good thing about the ratchet rope is that its simple and allows for long pulls.

Attached Images Attached Images

I sure appreciate the ideas and input. I was looking for this type of light weight Jack to lift the back out of the powder and then push the back end over: http://www.powderjack.com/ I was hoping to support someone local and not pay the freight.

I will send you an email with the answer your looking for.

I can't send you a email could you email me?

Quote Originally Posted by AKOxTeam View Post
    I sure appreciate the ideas and input. I was looking for this type of light weight Jack to lift the back out of the powder and then push the back end over: http://www.powderjack.com/ I was hoping to support someone local and not pay the freight.
    Huh, interesting product. Amazingly enough really old machines had "kick stands" to raise the track.

I personally vote for a winch type device of one sort or another, as they allow forward movement. This is more important than upward movement IMO.

Rope come along is available at AIH.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

It's one of these things:

Shovel and snowshoes mo' betta on powder when you've bogged down.
    With no forward momentum you're just gonna get stuck again unless you have a trail ahead of you...

Neat idea but that will never lift your sled high enough to get it up out of a trench. Just pack the snow down in front of your sled and under the belly and skis then drive it out. If it is stuck really bad tilt it on its side and stomp snow down under neath the track so you have something the track can grab again instead of air. Another thing if your sled is leaning at an angle it will not get anywhere near the propulsion from the snow as it will sitting level.

Wonder what the capacity on that jack is?? That might be a nice way to jack a corner of a Jet Boat up to get it unstuck or to slide a piece of PVC or a Ball under it.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I will say neat idea.....the problem with that video is that the sled needs to be stuck 1st. If you watch when he starts back out it goes towards the same hole it came out of. A packed path 5 to 10 feet out in front of a sled and snow pushed down underneath it again will work wonders. When my daugther sticks her sled by time I get back to her she almost always has the snow packed under it and all I have to do is a ride by. When stuck real bad the worse I had to do is roll it, a couple of times I have laid them up on their side.

*********DO MAKE NOTE OF WHAT SIDE YOUR OIL TANK IS ON AND HOW FULL********** Always try to roll the sled to the side where the oil pickup is at this will elminate the possibility of oil in the line when you restart. Most Cats it was always better to go up on the left side....the '12's 2 stroke I am not sure, the new 4 stroke Cats do not matter as much as they are dry sump.

We use a snow bungee and a shovel most of the time we dig out one side of the sled and just roll it out of the hole this is powder or lite snow with a shorty windshield on a Skidoo summit. Stid I use my drift sock in the river to free up my jet boat but a hi jac and a board might work with a tidal problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Rope come along is available at AIH.

Music Man, Mariner, do you know the number of that rope ratchet at AIH? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Wonder what the capacity on that jack is?? That might be a nice way to jack a corner of a Jet Boat up to get it unstuck or to slide a piece of PVC or a Ball under it.

Steve
    Steve, I am sure you have seen these jacks, lots of capacity for lifting or pulling although limited. They come in 60" also. From AIH;

http://store.aihalaska.com/index.php...ducts_id=22494

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Steve, I am sure you have seen these jacks, lots of capacity for lifting or pulling although limited. They come in 60" also. From AIH;

http://store.aihalaska.com/index.php...ducts_id=22494
    Yes Sir I have one of those but it is HEAAVVVVVY. LOL

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

A shovel does wonders and would have been just as quick.

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast