Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 100yd 45 Colt revolver test

Default 100yd 45 Colt revolver test

Well, so I see pics from guys like 44man and others and hear talk of guys who are shooting beer cans at 100yds or 1" groups, etc. with revolvers. I've never spent much time shooting past 50-70yds. Today I spent some time shooting at 100yds with my SBH BisHunter 45 Colt. 2x Weaver, resting forearms on the bench, no sand bags or any part of the gun on a rest. Loads were my 255gr plinkers over 8.5gr Uniique and my hunting loads with the 355wfn over 21.5 H110. I put these two targets one above the other after shooting at some other stuff to see if could even hit anything at that range. Anyway, bottom target are the 255ers, I was aiming at the top bullseye. Top target is the 355ers, I was aiming at the bullseye...well, as best as I could! With the 2x scope at 100yds it's not much more than a reddish dot, I was surprised I could even see it actually! I'm pleasantly surprised. I'll have to keep working on this. Maybe I can settle down, concentrate and get em all closer together. It was cold, 6 above and breezy. I can't remember if I shot 5 or 6rnd groups here. Anyway, I suspect the gun can do better if I can. I'm gonna have some fun finding out.

Now I can see how guys can shoot cloverleafs at 100yds+. I can't help but wonder what I could do with 4X scope. Whether it would make that much difference or just magnify my shake more. I'll stick with my 2x though. Pretty amazing what a revolver can do if a guy just tries it. Especially with a big fat heavy blunt nose boolit.

Man I love this gun.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I'm with you Snyd. I read some of the things guys say they do with their revolvers at 100 yds and I'm skeptical to say the least. But I realize many of these guys have been shooting revolvers longer than I've been alive so I give them the benefit of the doubt.

I shot my 4 5/8" Bisley 45lc at longer ranger for the first time a month or so ago and was pleasantly surprised to find I was able to shoot about a 6" group at 85 yds with the Bowen Rough Country open sights. This was with wrists rested on the bench. I know that could be improved upon with practice, but I swear I don't see how anyone could shoot little 1-2" groups off hand with open sights at 100 yds.

Nice shooting.

Snyd:

I think your groups are great! I certainly would not want to be on the wrong end of the scope.

I have seen some amazing handgun shots including a coke bottle hit with a Mod 29 6 inch with open sights at 100 yards (took about 8 shots to finally hit it but still a great shot by my brother), but for me the best I have done is about 1.5" at 50 yards with a SR .44 shooting Garretts and using a Leupold 2x. I have shot some TC's at 100 yards but not much more accurate (for me) and as you mentioned the stronger scope just made my wobble worse.

I've shot heavy loads @ 100 yds, my groups with my wrists rested are a little bigger than that with open sights. Could keep them on a paper plate easily enough, but an apple would probably have a 50% chance if I had a cylinder full... Never tried with a scope.

That's impressive especially having not tried it before and it's definitely minute-of-moose heart.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    That's impressive especially having not tried it before and it's definitely minute-of-moose heart.
    Ya well I missed the moose in the woods last fall shooting at 100yds but is was offhand in the heat of the moment. Maybe next year!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Starting early

I'm sure you will do better next year- you can never start practicing too early. I've always been amazed at all the people down at the range the day before the season starts.

If you get another higher powered scope consider one with a parallex adjustment. Pistols are shot at all sorts of ranges from 25 ft. to 150 yds or so and parallex can become an isuue at close ranges.

I had my 629 scoped years ago. I couldn't shoot it that well but one of the shooters at the club could keep the shots in a ragged hole at 50 yds. Never tired it a 100 yds however.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Ya well I missed the moose in the woods last fall shooting at 100yds but is was offhand in the heat of the moment. Maybe next year!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

That's some nice shooting Snyd. Wish I would have thought more of it. I thought a couple times about taking the .45 colt out today too, but ended up playing with the son and grandson instead. Main reason I only had some real heavy loads... Wanted some more mid-weight stuff before I go out. :-)

Yes indeed, very good for wrist rest only.
    I admit I can only shoot good with bags or from Creemore, only way I can hold still!
    I really like to see fellas shoot good and more should try long ranges if just for fun because you can do it.
    Nice job Snyd, you made me all smiles.

I dont usually shoot paper at 100ys with the handguns, its to depressing when I check the target. Instead, I have and 8 inch steel plate that makes a nice ding when I hit it. I can connect with about half the rounds in the magof the MkII or 10mm most of the time. My biggest problem is seeing the target over the sights.

Snyd, well done!

Not bad at all with a field type rest. Your group is probably better than most can do. Put a 8X scope on your SBH and youíll see the reason for the spaces between the holes

Good shootin!!

I used to have a Leupold 2x on my 8" heavy barrel Dan Wesson 44 mag and it wouldn't shoot any better than that...usually 6" at 100 yds off a rest. Now, I have a 2-8x Weaver on my 15" 7mm/08 Encore pistol and it will shoot inside 2" at 100 all the time, sometimes better. JoeJ is right....magnification makes all the difference. It's a better shot than me who can do 1" at 100 yds consistantly.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I can see where magnification and a solid rest could help tighten groups. I probably won't go there. Instead I'll get a 8" or so steel plate and work on accuracy at various field positions. I've got a target with 3, 4inch plates and I can hit those no prob at 50yds from various field positions. A little tricky standing off hand. Especially if the hearts a pumpin. I wonder what kind of penetration that 355er has at 100yds. Any of you guys have first hand experience with heavy boolits at 100yds that came out of the barrel at 1200ish?

Sounds like a freight train to me!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

You and the gun appear capable of great accuracy. Many such groups are shot weekly at 200 meters knocking rams off rails in IHMSA standing production pistol class using factory open sights. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Altough I'm quite sure bullet weights are reduced thyereby reducing recoil levels somewhat.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Weren't you shooting a Super Redhawk .454 Casull at one time?

The issue you're getting with your groups might be a function of single-action locktime. Not familiar with that handgun, looks very fine indeed. I've bought some Starline Colt brass to shoot heavy loads in my SRH. I cast a 346gr Lyman bullet and get fine accuracy. Tougher than either Hornady XTP or XTP Mag bullets that I've tried. A max load in Colt cases and using the extra chamber room to seat bullet further out should yield about what I am looking for, better double-action managability.

Can recommend the Nikon 2.5-8x Monarch for quality and toughness, but none of the pistol scopes over 4x are very usable offhand or in fast reaction. The bigger objectives do gather more light at all magnifications so that is a plus. Have never seen a pistol scope with parallax adjustment, maybe some of the super-high mag Burris' have this for the singleshot competition market, but never seen a compact hunting scope with it.

If you have a Casull cylinder to use, there might be some pointed silhouette type bullets or a custom mold you could order in .454 diameter and shoot longer bullets with more favorable BC. Something I've been pondering.

Happy holidays to all and happy shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post

The issue you're getting with your groups might be a function of single-action locktime. Not familiar with that handgun, looks very fine indeed. I've bought some Starline Colt brass to shoot heavy loads in my SRH. I cast a 346gr Lyman bullet and get fine accuracy. Tougher than either Hornady XTP or XTP Mag bullets that I've tried. A max load in Colt cases and using the extra chamber room to seat bullet further out should yield about what I am looking for, better double-action managability.

Can recommend the Nikon 2.5-8x Monarch for quality and toughness, but none of the pistol scopes over 4x are very usable offhand or in fast reaction. The bigger objectives do gather more light at all magnifications so that is a plus. Have never seen a pistol scope with parallax adjustment, maybe some of the super-high mag Burris' have this for the singleshot competition market, but never seen a compact hunting scope with it.

If you have a Casull cylinder to use, there might be some pointed silhouette type bullets or a custom mold you could order in .454 diameter and shoot longer bullets with more favorable BC. Something I've been pondering.

I do have a 454 but it's a 4" Redhawk 45 Colt that I converted to 454 with a SRH 454 cylinder. This gun is a Super BlackHawk Hunter chambered in 45 Colt. They made about 600 in regular grip frame and about 300 with the Bisley grip frame. They still make it in 44mag. Maybe if I come across a deal on a variable scope I'll pick it up for kicks. But I really like this one. It seem like it was made for the SBH. It's a hunting rig.

I reamed the cylinders to .4525, they were a little tight. Bore is .451. I also cut the forcing cone to 11degrees. the 355 wfn's I cast from a custom LBT mould. I've also got a Lyman 452651 dual crimp groove that drops at about 340 with ww's. It's more of a rnfp. I have'nt messed with it much other than loading for my 454 Puma levergun. It's never dropped .452, even after sending it back to Lyman and they supposedly fixed it. Here;s a pic of the 355er on the left that I shot the above groups with. 360gr Cast Performance is on the right. I'm still amazed at how good this "almost wadcutter" flys. I push it out of my 4inch 454 Redhawk at 1300fps and have shot 3rnd cloverleafs at 25yds.

Default Pistol scope with parallex adjustment

I've got a Burris 3X with parallex adjustment on the objective lense. It is about the same size as the rest of the compact pistol scopes except the front end has slightly larger in diameter. Don't know if it is still made or not. Can't recall when and where I got it but I picked it up after I noticed all the parallex in my other scopes at closer ranges.

It is on a T/C Contender barrel now but I may take it off and put it on my .460.

And- MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast