Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth touching a pistol - Illegal?

Default Youth touching a pistol - Illegal?

What is your take:

I was in a local store today with intention of letting my daughter handle a small framed revolver and a small automatic trying to get some idea of which fit her better. She has put in her request for her graduation present and I need to narrow the choices down. I requested to see a small framed Smith & Wesson - the sales dude handed it to me and when I gave it to my daughter to see how it fit her hand the he said how old is she and snatched it from her hand. He went on then to berate me in an aggressive tone of voice saying I was breaking the law by letting her touch a pistol since she was under 21. When I tried to tell him I believed he was mistaken and new for a fact it wasn't illegal for her to touch a gun he became more aggressive and belligerent.

Having my daughter with me I simply left without letting him know where I thought he should put the pistol.

Any insight on this - I certainly have never had this happen before and she has fondled a lot of firearms in various stores.

I would also be interested in any recommendations on which small hand gun you prefer as well.

My wife is 5'3" and loves her Kimber compact 1911. Not a cheap 🔫 but if she got reeeaaalllyyy good grades maybe.

As for the counter jockey, not all folks actually know what they are doing though they may still get paid for it...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My wife is 5'3" and loves her Kimber compact 1911. Not a cheap 🔫 but if she got reeeaaalllyyy good grades maybe.

As for the counter jockey, not all folks actually know what they are doing though they may still get paid for it...
    Thanks Lujon, I will put the Kimber on my small list of pistols to look at. She has definitely earned it.

How sad. Obviously the dork behind the counter is not familiar with state or Federal firearm laws. One of his friends probably told him what the laws are. Bad source. Ask for his supervisor and ask that dork to show you in writing where it is illegal in law. He won't be able to do it. And then explain your experience to him as well. Dorks need to be expelled.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

RR, not sure how old/small her hands are but these worked well for my wife and daughter..
    Ruger 4in 22 LR semi auto, new ones are the MKIII4.
    I have had both my wife, and daughter, use the Ruger and both made some dangerous mistakes at first - make sure you REALLY make them understand it will be ready to go after firing each round - a lot of novices just don't get how easy it is to fire a following round from any auto pistol and most shooters keep their fingers on, or near, the trigger after firing the first.
    For revolvers I had a S&W mod 34 ( kit gun it was called - 4in BBL I think) that was very nice and also the S&W mod 63,
    (a 3in bbl) is very friendly for smaller hands...
    Next time you enter a gun shop with your girl you might start the conversation stating you are looking for a firearm to share with your daughter that has gun experience to set the stage - may help some???
    Good Luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

A little more info on what I am looking for -

My daughter is proficient with a hand gun - She has a couple versions of the Ruger MKIII she uses for regular shooting and has experience shooting several of my handguns as well, Colt 45 auto, Smith 9mm auto, Ruger Super Blackhawk, Colt Trooper 357 and a few more.

We are looking for a more of a smaller framed handgun in a big enough caliber to offer protection while still being small enough to be used as a conceal carry if the need arises. She rides horses a lot and at this time protection while riding will be the primary use.

My wife really shined to the Sig 230/232 as well as K frame smiths with the wood grips.

Counter-guy is obviously looking for a new job...you should talk to his boss and help him find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    RR,
    Next time you enter a gun shop with your girl you might start the conversation stating you are looking for a firearm to share with your daughter that has gun experience to set the stage - may help some???
    Good Luck!
    Thanks for the reply Smokey,
    I was in the same shop the week before by myself and the attendant at that time suggested I bring her in and let her see which one fit her better. I told the dude that today but he had his own agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    My wife really shined to the Sig 230/232 as well as K frame smiths with the wood grips.

Counter-guy is obviously looking for a new job...you should talk to his boss and help him find one.
    Thanks for the input on the Sig

I did call the store manager and had a long talk with him - He assured me he was going to have a chat with the attendant and his perception of the law. Not the first bad experience in that store but they tend to have the biggest firearm selection to look at.

Likely the same store where I have received unsolicited patently false statements regarding Alaska fishing regulations. Just kids who don't know any better than to take hearsay from an equally ignorant peer and repeat it to the customer. A few words of guidance from their manager should help them along.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

There is a law on the books regulating kids under 18 and their having firearms in their possession, but I don't know which firearms in which situations are prohibited.

But for sure, while right in front of Dad, there is NO law saying she can't hold it, or even (if done safely of course) fire it for that matter. Send that clerk back to school.

RR, the Ruger P345PR is a pretty decent big cal/small gun - 8 shot 45 for smaller hands.
    Springfield Arms Sub-Compact 3" XD - 10 round 40 cal - maybe a fit?
    HK makes USP Compact 9mm,40 S&W, and 45ACP if ya want to drop a little more coin...
    Glock mod 36 - 6 rounds 45ACP maybe???
    Those are all I can think of that I have played with....Good Luck!

OH the Ruger SP101 revolver in 357 might be a decent gun - only 2 1/4in bbl though... Grips should be good for smaller hand.
    I have an old Speed Six that has a small grip if you can find one in 357....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

i had that same thing happen when i went into a certain sports store that might and might not have been in the same parking lot as target in wasilla. I asked to look at a henry lever action 22 Mag and he said no I couldn't hold it cause I wasn't 18, so I asked if I brought my mom back with me to look at it with me could I look at it, and he said no he couldn't even take it out of the shelf cause he knew the gun would be for me and I am under 18. for one, I figured worst casesinario he would hold the gun and let me "look but not touch" like most people do. but he said he wasn't my legal guardian and he couldn't.....yet I can hunt with that gun I can't hold or look at or buy ammo for, and I couldn't have my parents buy it for me cause thats ileagel too, buying for a minor or what not. but by golly I can hunt.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

My wife really likes her M&P 9mm, 1911, and a 4" 686.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    What is your take:

He went on then to berate me in an aggressive tone of voice saying I was breaking the law by letting her touch a pistol since she was under 21.

Any insight on this - I certainly have never had this happen before and she has fondled a lot of firearms in various stores.
    Under 21 was his comment? Over 18 is old enough to die for our country but you can't touch a firearm, I think not.

If a minor grabs an unlocked firearm that you left laying around and kills someone you would be liable but that wasn't the case in your story.

The clerk was a moron.

Go somewhere else to buy the sidearm then go back to the store that had the moron. When they come to you just tell them you bought the firearm at a store with more informed, intelligent, professional and mature people.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

The sales monkey is full of crap.
    Now what ?

Amazing how every store has different laws they make up! I bought my son a 870 for Christmas and they knew it was for him and had no problem with it, and my boy is only 13. How does that make since when other store refuse to sell you a firearm if they know its for a kid? I guess some store want your buisness and others don't.

Sorry to hear about the salesman. You would think more firearm stores would do a better job of training their people. The costs of training is minimal compared to the loss of sales.

My wife has very small hands and absolutely loves her Glock 27 in 40 S&W.

Justa thought!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

My understanding of the 'law' in this respect is from a well versed Gun counter manager. If over 18 they can hand you a rifle, over 21 they can hand you a handgun. You can then hand the gun to the minor as their guardian to try for size. Just like ownership, I can buy my kid (10) a gun, but I am still the 'owner' until he reaches legal age. For the most part this works (or should work) in the way we most know; 'I want to buy a gun for my kid', clerk selects gun and hands straight to kid to try for size.
    FWIW my young kid loves firing the Ruger SP101.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast