Thread: black river/oshetna river

Default black river/oshetna river

Is the Black River drainage off the Big O accessible with ATV's? If so, up to what approxiamate elevation. I was told you can go all the way to Black Lake, kinda find that hard to believe.

Thanks

It not hard to get to the Black Rv. by ATV, getting across the Black is the problem. It take a big rig to get across the river.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    It not hard to get to the Black Rv. by ATV, getting across the Black is the problem. It take a big rig to get across the river.
    Rutting Moose is right, but even in rainy years, getting from the mouth of the Little Oshetna River to the Black River (down the Oshetna) can be too deep for atvs.

There's a trail going up to the base of Twin Hills. It peters out once you get up the side and onto a semi-plateau. I've never gone much beyond that from there, but it looks pretty open.

Anybody try to get to the Black River that way?

I haven't been to the Black but I do a lot of atv riding in Eureka. Most years my partners and I are the first ones in that area by atv because we have our machines snorkled and set up good for water and river crossings. The earlist we made it to the Big O was april 17, three years ago. We don't cross those rivers if it looks like sure death but were good at getting all the water out and getting the machine running again after they tumble down a river. If we have the right angle and the current isn't extreme and and there's a good haul out spot on the other side of the river, we're able float deep water crossings. Most atvers won't even attempt the the crossings we make. It's just something we like to do. Water_Gremlin knows what I'm talking about. His rig is set up. We've left everyone sitting on the other bank saying 'No way" a few times.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    ....The earlist we made it to the Big O was april 17, three years ago......
    That's pretty impressive. I tried it in a swampbuggy on Memorial Day weekend one year when we had an early spring, and the snow was still two feet deep on Monument.

Crooked Creek and the Little Nelchina were a piece of cake to cross.

They were still froze up solid enough for my 5,000 lb rig to drive right across..............

April 17 is impressive for a wheeler since we usually go bear hunting back there at the end of the month on snowmachines. Nothing like water skipping with the widetrack and a sled full of gas!

Default Little Nelchina

So if you crossed IT with two feet on Monument, how far did you make it?
    That's pretty impressive. Buggy's vs ATVs=Tortoise vs Hare
    BTW, three years ago I had my 2004 F250 to the little O. It was a dry year.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    So if you crossed IT with two feet on Monument, how far did you make it?
    I didn't try to go down the north face of Monument. I turned around, went back to 4 Corners, and turned east. I got to the Little Nelchina, crossed, and got to Tyone Creek.

That's pretty impressive. Buggy's vs ATVs=Tortoise vs Hare
    I like carrying gear for longer hauls. ATVs don't cut it in that regard.

BTW, three years ago I had my 2004 F250 to the little O. It was a dry year.
    What month?

In mid summer (late June?), it can be a real easy run.

Default Eureka

Nice to get to Little Tyone then. I wondered how you would get down and up Mon in the snow.
    I, too, am used to carrying gear in the crew cab--I sleep in the back seat when I'm alone. Whether Ninilchik, Haulroad, Petersville, Nabesna... I just can't afford a buggy yet.
    When I went to Little O it was late in the year and dry--by my truck was brand new and I had never been anywhere back there. No GPS and no maps and alone.
    It was pretty fun. I went via Monument and Horsepasture. I went again a little past the L. Tyone but that was slower. I carried a boat anchor in case but have never used it.
    I had to buy an ATV cause it was cheaper. Now I miss the warm,dry cab. lol

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    Nice to get to Little Tyone then. I wondered how you would get down and up Mon in the snow.
    I, too, am used to carrying gear in the crew cab--I sleep in the back seat when I'm alone. Whether Ninilchik, Haulroad, Petersville, Nabesna... I just can't afford a buggy yet.
    When I went to Little O it was late in the year and dry--by my truck was brand new and I had never been anywhere back there. No GPS and no maps and alone.
    It was pretty fun. I went via Monument and Horsepasture. I went again a little past the L. Tyone but that was slower. I carried a boat anchor in case but have never used it.
    I had to buy an ATV cause it was cheaper. Now I miss the warm,dry cab. lol
    That is among my most favorite country in Alaska. It's beautiful, and you can see forever. Lots of memories.

I went from buggy to atv (in 1985; had one of the first 4x4 atvs around) then back to a buggy by 1988.

Like you point out, the cab, creek fording ability, and gear carrying ability was missed!

In accordance with the Board's recent dictates regarding the 1500 lb upper limit on off road vehicles, the 50+ year history of buggies is nearly over.

Access is being killed a death of a million small cuts............