Thread: Free: Survival course for children and parent. "IDEA"

Default Free: Survival course for children and parent. "IDEA"

OK, I know that 98.326% of the members here are nine feet tall, bullet-proof, and have chest hair like a steel-wool factory. So this ain't for you. I would think there might be one or two parents who did not have a father, or might want to learn basic survival skills with their child.

This would not be some para-military thing, but a family weekend event. I am thinking maybe six or eight adult forum members, and their children (maybe up to 12 or 15 children total).

I would NOT be the teacher, but each parent would be assigned a subject: Debris shelters, Water, travel over ice/falling through ice, fire building skills, animal tracks, etc. the children would love the experience and the parents would have to learn one subject.

I really don't know why this is not taught in the school system.

This would NOT be even remotely about making money, but children learning, and creating an appetite for more survival knowledge, in a fun environment.

So, is there a need........and are there members willing to create it. This would not be a commercial enterprise. I envision this like the AGCA "Children's Shoot" at Birchwood.

If the basic outline could be created, it could be handed to Churches, private schools, clubs.

OK, the phone rang just as I hit the post button: I was wanting to request that some nice lady might also post this or a link in the Ladies only section.

Isn't there a place in the Anchorage area that teaches these skills?
    Not sure about kids though. And certainly not free I would guess. They were in Alaska or fish Alaska magazine awhile back if memory serves me right.
    http://www.survivaltraining.com/index-2.html
    It would make for a fun church or other group outing to do it your way though.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The problem is most "Real" men don't need any training, and sadly several "Real" men drown or freeze to death on snow machine trips, and are sure most problems can be solved with enough booze and a leatherman tool. Of course a "Real" man sure as hell ain't going to be seen in some $800.00 a day survival school. So I was thinking gear it toward the children, and the adults would learn through osmosis. Note: "Real" men don't do osmosis.

LOL. Your comments about "real men" are true enough that avalanche expert Doug Fessler commented that if a man wants to stay alive in the mountains in the winter he should take a good woman- and listen to her! As a woman, I've observed many times that men have a much higher threshold for risk (or maybe they aren't as aware of it) than most women.

I think it might be fun to do something like this some time. Outdoors survival is one of my favorite things to learn about- I enjoy reading the books, watching the tv shows, and most of all going out and learning.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

My wife and I don't have any kids, but I am an Advanced Nurse Practitioner and have taught martial arts for a long time- if I can be of any assistance with any portion of the classes I would be happy to help. Teaching some simple and effective self defense, or first aid, or if you just need someone on standby for any injuries- just let me know.

BEE

If you want to learn how to survive in the winter why wait for someone to tell you. Start with reading The Basic Essentials of Hypothermia by William W Forgey and AMC Winter Camping By Stephen Gorman is a good starting book. Build a QUIN-ZHEE snow shelter in your back yard all you need is a shovel and snow. Spend the night in your QUIN-ZHEE and I guarantee you will be a wiser person in the morning. After you have perfected your Quin-zee go to Eureka where the snow is dry and test your skills.
    Next try building a shelter with little or no snow and spend the night.

Surviving is not just about a shelter itís only the first step in learning how to stay alive and keep all your fingers and tows.

hands down the best 2 books I know of are "how to stay alive in the woods" by bradford ainger, and Survival wisdom and knowhow, its a biig green book, and it had more pictures and is easier to read. but the other one is better for extreme detail and it covers all the different aspects, as it is like a 500 page book.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.