Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W QC Not Too Good (Sleeping On The Job)

Default S&W QC Not Too Good (Sleeping On The Job)

Found this posted here; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=137406
    The cylinder has 6 chambers and 7 flutes

Stole this picture from another forum.

Thought a few folks here might get a kick out of it.

Still better than a Taurus.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Or my Ruger Redhawk! Look at the quality of the fit and finish - I don't see a single tool mark or rough surface. I bet you could shoot the gun for a lifetime and never have an issue with it.

What is the story with the picture - or is it a photo-shoped creation or ??

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Still better than a Taurus.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Or my Ruger Redhawk! Look at the quality of the fit and finish - I don't see a single tool mark or rough surface. I bet you could shoot the gun for a lifetime and never have an issue with it.

What is the story with the picture - or is it a photo-shoped creation or ??

A useless cylinder and you call that good... Read the thread that I linked

How about a picture of the Ruger

Looks like this is the original posting: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=632524
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default Details

The cylinder apparently wasn't useless - it had all the signs of being sucessfully fired. The gun did show the normal S&W attention to fit and finish - no machine or casting marks etc., surfaces were flat or cylindrical, and corners were crisp and straight.

I read the whole thread - did you? No one even knows if the photo is real or not. Do you have any details or information other than the referenced thread? If it were a picture of Ruger would you accept it as genuine?

If Santa brings me a new camera that can do macro photos I'll post some pictures of my Redhawk here. In the meantime I'll see if I can blow some up and get some decent detail.

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    A useless cylinder and you call that good... Read the thread that I linked

How about a picture of the Ruger
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I read the whole thread - did you? No one even knows if the photo is real or not. Do you have any details or information other than the referenced thread?
    Valid questions, all, and not my argument. But, the link I posted makes it look pretty legit. I'm curious to follow it now, to see the outcome.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Valid questions, all, and not my argument. But, the link I posted makes it look pretty legit. I'm curious to follow it now, to see the outcome.

Exactly............

Default More info

Your link provides more info indeed - thanks!

Look like S&W screwed one up and filled the Rugerites with glee. Of course the fact that has S&W probably make a 1000 times more DA revolvers than Ruger isn't factored into the quality issue.

I've sent one of the many S&W I've owned back to the factory because a roll pin fell out - either the pin ws too small or the hole too big but S&W fixed it right up. I've bought one Ruger DA and I'm having to send it back because the barrel is screwed up in several ways. Guess which brand I'm betting my money and life on?

Seems as though a cylinder for a 6 shot 686 got fluted for a 686-plus 7 shot. Like was mentioned, looks like it fires just fine with the burn marks on the front of the cylinder. Doesn't look "useless" at all to me. But I'm sure that if the owner wanted to, he could call S&W and they would have it back to him at no charge in a week or two.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Look like S&W screwed one up and filled the Rugerites with glee. Of course the fact that has S&W probably make a 1000 times more DA revolvers than Ruger isn't factored into the quality issue.

I've sent one of the many S&W I've owned back to the factory because a roll pin fell out - either the pin ws too small or the hole too big but S&W fixed it right up. I've bought one Ruger DA and I'm having to send it back because the barrel is screwed up in several ways. Guess which brand I'm betting my money and life on?

tvfinak, here is a picture of the forcing cones in my 2 M-29-2 revolvers

The one with the humongous funnel for a forcing cone is anywhere from 50 to 80 FPS slower (depending on the ammo) than the other one on the same day with the same ammo when shooting them over a chrono

By the way it isn't difficult to take a picture of something that one owns and post it, after all a picture is worth a thousand words

WOW! more dogs from S&W WHO'D A THUNK IT

JWP, since your S&W 29 sucks so badly, I'll relieve you of it for 50.00!

The one parts fall out of???

Sorry, couldn`t resist.

IMO all guns may have flaws so I`m not brand partial...I find one I like and run it...but only until it fails to do what it`s supposed to. No animal out there minds fit and finish. I will say I really enjoyed the DW`s in 445...did everything an AK revolver should and very accurate at long ranges.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Default Wanta trade?

I'll trade you a Redhawk or SuperRedhawk 44 Mag for one of them S&W dogs since they are no good. In fact - I'll even trade you out of both of them. In fact - I'm sure you will find plenty of people that will trade you a Ruger for a S&W - wanta bet?

But at least the forcing cones on yours are centered. Mine is off center as is the crown. And the cylinder gap is also too wide on one side - apparently the barrel breech isnpt square.

Pictures are indeed easy with the right camera- my Nikon Coolpx S630 won't focus closely. What camera do you use - you seem to get good close ups.

However I think I got a few useable pictures of the Redhawk - I'll post them in a seperate post if I can figure out how - I haven't used that feature before since most people take me at my word.

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    tvfinak, here is a picture of the forcing cones in my 2 M-29-2 revolvers

The one with the humongous funnel for a forcing cone is anywhere from 50 to 80 FPS slower (depending on the ammo) than the other one on the same day with the same ammo when shooting them over a chrono

By the way it isn't difficult to take a picture of something that one owns and post it, after all a picture is worth a thousand words

WOW! more dogs from S&W WHO'D A THUNK IT

Speaking of pictures - have you seen this one?

Obviously, the scope was simply too heavy for that gun.
    Speaking of pictures - have you seen this one?

#Resist

And yet another from the forum that only deals with Rugers. This is earlier this year the first time a brand new gun was taken out and shot.

I've sent my two most recent Smiths back to them. One arrived with no firing pin. The other got through their inspections with no screw in the grips. Tell me all about factory test firing.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've sent my two most recent Smiths back to them. One arrived with no firing pin. The other got through their inspections with no screw in the grips. Tell me all about factory test firing.

exactly. I have a 629 Classic sitting here beside me as I type and the barrel cylinder gap is .011 thousanths for all but one cylinder. IMHO .006" is too much and .003 to .004 is where they should fall

tvfinak, it is time for you to stop the insanity

Obviously, the scope was simply too heavy for that gun.

Exactly why the SRH was introduce, inorder to mount the scope on the frame

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast