Thread: How To Clean Stock

Default How To Clean Stock

I just purchased an older marlin 39a golden, nothing collector grade just a good shooter. The stock doesn't have a shinny sealer and is just real grimy. I have stripped the finish and refinished stocks before, but on this one I don't want it to look like a shinny new stock so I think a good cleaning would be fine. I wasn't sure if I should use something like murphies wood soap or what. Then maybe stock sheen and conditioner or wax or some other protector? Has anyone done something like this or should i just do the full refinish?

Clear varathane, 2 or 3 coats with light sanding between coats. Let it dry thoroughly before sanding.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    I have stripped the finish and refinished stocks before, but on this one I don't want it to look like a shinny new stock
    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Clear varathane, 2 or 3 coats with light sanding between coats. Let it dry thoroughly before sanding.
    Wouldn't clear varathane result in a shiny new looking stock? Is there perhaps an oil product you would recommend that doesn't result in the 'coated in plastic' look?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Light sanding with 800 grit will knock off the "shine". Varathane is more moisture resistant than Tru-oil and the other oil finishes, although they do have a more traditional look. Any good wood finish will do, just avoid waxes and such, as they will prevent other finishes from adhering and can be a beggar to remove.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I recommend a product called Restor A Finish by Howard. It comes in various shades, and doesn't remove the old finish. It works in correlation with fine steel wool to soften the old finish and redistribute it along with the new medium.

I've also used coarse steel wool on an old finish and then applied a 60/40 combination of Watco Danish Oil and stain (of the same shade as is already on the stock). Works well, and you can leave it dull, or use fine steel wool between coats to get a semi-gloss or even gloss finish. This is a very durable and traditional finish and easy to maintain in the field by rubbing with Old English furniture oil.

Purists just use BLO on their older (especially milsurp) rifles.

If its grimey then wash it down with paint thinner and scrub it with a brush first. And do NOT use BLO, it isn't waterproof and won't seal the pores of the wood.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...