Thread: Can i lap rifle lugs

Default Can i lap rifle lugs

I would like to know if a person could lap there own bolt and receiver lugs without pulling the barrel off the receiver.
    I have a Model 70's that i would like polish the lugs on to get 100% contact.

Realize everyone has their own take on lug work, but would like to be able to do this for my own satisfacton.
    Possible someone out there has acomplished this task.
    Would be greatful for any help..
    Thanks
    Furbearer

It is very easy. When I owned a TV thingie, I would just lap the lugs while watching TV. I use "Gunslick". Rember to tape the bolt handle & for sure super clean the bolt and reciever. You don't even need to revove the stock. If you don't remove the compound, it will continue to lap.

Quote Originally Posted by furbearer View Post

I would like to know if a person could lap there own bolt and receiver lugs without pulling the barrel off the receiver.

Realize everyone has their own take on lug work, but would like to be able to do this for my own satisfacton.
    Thanks
    Furbearer

Thanks
    Furbearer
    The answer is yes you can lap your rifle lugs, but there is a possibility that you can alter the headspace to an unsafe condition so you need to be careful. Also, you do not want 100% lug contact. Anything approaching 75% is better than more IME.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Yes you can, as 1COR has explained, but like he said, go slow and don't over-do it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Well i should have asked this before..How can i lap bolt and receiver lugs without removing barrel??
    Could someone that has sucesfully acomplished this please explain the process.
    Thanks for your help..
    Furbearer

Well i should have asked this before..How can i lap bolt and receiver lugs without removing barrel??
    Could someone that has sucesfully acomplished this please explain the process.
    Thanks for your help..
    Furbearer
    this is a simple operation with a product called JB PASTE this grey pasty product was introduced to me at sniper school by a famous barrel maker. boots obermeyer.
    the technique is simple. apply jb to your lugs and bolt body, and work the bolt full open to full closed. repeat this operation for 15-20 min. ( i do it while watching gunblast video's ). when you have completed this cycle, simply clean bolt and action. you will see a change in the fit and glide in your bolt. it will be a huge improvement over a rough bolt or bolt race. if necessary this proceedure may be repeated, as you are not removing metal.
    after finishing the process and cleaning bolt and action ( easy ) i apply fp 10 or a similar light lube.

this exersize works on most any action and will really show improvement over the stock weapon. good luck.
    happy trails.
    jh

I'm not sure JB is really abrasive enough to do serious lapping work. At least not over 15-20 minutes time. You really need actual fine lapping compound. One thing however, to be safe, once complete, you should check the headspace with a set of go-no-go headspace gauges.

Midwayusa has lots of informative videos on youtube. This one covers how to do it with the barrel off, but with the barrel on you would just use hand pressure on the lugs instead of a spring plunger set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cor-K6bZpZ0