Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July Halibut charter in Seward....any advice.

Default July Halibut charter in Seward....any advice.

Hey guys,

I've done some research on charters in Seward and just can't pick one out. So...can anybody recommend one over the other? There will be 6-9 of us and we are looking to book the boat for the day. Thanks for the help.

Ryan

I would recommend Cracker Jack or Pro-Fish-n-Sea. A++ operations and you won't be disappointed.

I also HIGHLY recommend Pro-Fish-n-Sea. If you can, ask for Steve. I won't fish with anybody else.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Copy all....thanks a ton

We have had a couple of great charters through Saltwater Safari. They have always put us on the fish.

Be aware this forum does not allow negative posts about any business by name.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Most all charters are good, if not they aren't in business long. What to keep in mind is if your going to share a boat then skippers need to catch fish, even if chickens, so keep that in mind. If you want to go after larger fish, book the boat, but remember no captain can guarantee you'll catch big ones. Also another good thing to do is be up front with the captains when you book and again when you show up.

I also endorse the skippers mentioned.
    Tony

Sorry to hijack the thread, but has anyone fished with Glacier Fishing in Seward? They look like they have a nice boat, but haven't ever read anything about them. I'd like to book a combo ling/halibut charter in Aug.

He fishes off the same dock as I, and i usually see him cleaning fish, but I personally haven't fished with him.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinswede View Post
    Sorry to hijacks he same dock as I, h the thread, but has anyone fished with Glacier Fishing in Seward? They look like they have a nice boat, but haven't ever read anything about them. I'd like to book a combo ling/halibut charter in Aug.
    Tony

J dock Ask for Chris as a captain. Might pay a few extra dollars but well worth it

Ended up booking a day with Just in time, and Seward Fish Co, both for combos. Both sound like fun guys to fish with, hope I made good choices. Profish and Crackerjack were booked.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinswede View Post
    Ended up booking a day with Just in time, and Seward Fish Co, both for combos. Both sound like fun guys to fish with, hope I made good choices. Profish and Crackerjack were booked.
    Another good choice, I think you'll be pleased. Good luck.
    Tony

DON"T go with Saltwater Safari, they ripped me off in 2009. I will never recommend them and will do my best to make sure no one else gets ripped off.

We went with Captain Bob Stumf ( I think thats how ya spell it )

Went out for 2 days. Caught wife & i each a limit of halibut the first day & 3 of us caught or limits of NICE halibut & on top of that 3 Sharks . One was 6 1/2 footer 350lbs.

Bob has a small building next to the general store in Ninilchick.

I will go with them every year if I can. GREAT PEOPLE !!

Last August, we went with Miller's out of Miller's Landing. We caught limits of halibut. Also caught rockfish, yelloweye, lingcod. Had a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Most all charters are good, if not they aren't in business long. What to keep in mind is if your going to share a boat then skippers need to catch fish, even if chickens, so keep that in mind. If you want to go after larger fish, book the boat, but remember no captain can guarantee you'll catch big ones. Also another good thing to do is be up front with the captains when you book and again when you show up.

I also endorse the skippers mentioned.
    I would have to disagree with the first part of this statement. Crappy charter outfits can stay in business for a long time. The OP had 6-9 people, so a couple of the boats mentioned are out because they have 6 person maximums. If you've got 9 people you won't get the whole boat to yourselves because they tend to shoot for 6 or 12 people depending on the boat size. I wouldn't go with any boat that holds more than 12 people. There is good advice in this thread and there is also bad advice so my advice to you is to not listen to anything anyone says on here about charters. AK is a small state and people could be just trying to steer some business to their friends. The idea of paying extra for a premium captain/trip will only have you thinking that you are owed something (usually bigger fish) as you pull away from the dock. Bad idea. Also, paying too little for a charter just reinforces the old saying 'you get what you pay for.' If you're paying 75-100 less for your charter than the average price then you and your 8 friends will probably be fishing alongside 20 others...Check the tides on the days youre considering for your trip- are you going to have problems getting your bait on the bottom with a ripping current and tons of other fishermen on board....or will your captain just be taking you to a chicken patch that day with no current and 200 dogfish? Lots to consider. My advice is to approach it with an open mind, dont be greedy, and you'll more than likely catch fish. Keep in mind the average size halibut landed these days is between 10-11 lbs.

You will have a great time with Randy on the Rogue. He is way fun to fish with and catches lots of fish!! His deckhand is great as well.

advise them to read reviews on charters.

Good to hear, its tough to weed through all the charters in Seward. Chatting with him on the phone, Randy sounded like he really enjoys putting people on fish and having a good time. Cant wait!!!!

I have been out with a few from Seward and hands down recommend Swelltime http://swelltimecharters.com/boat-tackle.html he is not the cheapest but he is the best I have fished with out of there. I think he can only run 6 packs.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast