Thread: Thompson Arms.....G2 or Encore, pro & con...???

Default Thompson Arms.....G2 or Encore, pro & con...???

What are the advantages of one over the other.....G2 or the Encore....????

COntender....smaller and lighter and takes less powerfull rounds to include rim fire. Encore is a bit heavier but wil take most any cartridge as long as it is centerfire. You probably need one of each!!! Both make fine, very versatile guns.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

This would be for a handgun configuration. Was there an issue with the original reciever that triggered the "G2".....?

Old Contender barrels will fit the G2 but G2 barrels will not fit the old frame.....neither rifle or pistol. G2 frame is the way to go then you can use all barrels.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    This would be for a handgun configuration. Was there an issue with the original reciever that triggered the "G2".....?
    Never heard of any "problem" with the Gen1 contenders. I'm guessing it had to do with the bean counters and lawyers, but that's just me. If I was going to get a contender, I like the looks of the Gen 1 stuff best. I think I still have 4 of those frames. I have 1 Encore. Son-in-law has a G2. I like them all. The Gen 1's probably had more quirks, like the early ones weren't easy open.

I have a Contender in 30/30, .44 mag., .357 Maximum and .445 Supermag. If you need anything more powerful than the .445, you should probably be hunting with a gernade launcher. The Contender has never failed me.

I also have a Encore but have not shot it that much. I just bought a .35 Whelen barrel for it and have a 7mm/08 pistol barrel for it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The Encore 7mm/08 pistol is awesome!! I have 15" and it shoots like a rifle and the 140 grain kills like Thor. I bought a 30 Herret barrel for cheap and I reamed it to .30-30 AI and it is a keeper too. you can do so much with these guns.