Thread: Fish Creek, Thorne Arm

HarborDawg

Default Fish Creek, Thorne Arm

Hey folks, my brother and I will be at the Fish Creek USFS cabin in Thorne Arm south of Ketchikan this July. I think we have most everything covered, but we need some advice on Spot Shrimping.

It would be our first try, and we'd be dropping a pot from a small aluminum boat....no puller. Is this possible or are they too deep there? What bait is best? What tips can you give a couple novices to shrimping?

Any help you all could provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks

60 Fathoms is where you want to target spots. BTDT - not much fun pulling that much line by hand, especially if you have a string of 2 or 3 pots. It's legal to use Pink and Chums for bait in SE now.

I have fished Fish Creek probably close to 100 times over the 40 years, but have never shrimped in that area. I would guess they would be available but L.G. is right on the mark. The depths you would typically have to put your pots to be successful would be prohibitive to pull by hand.

HarborDawg

Thanks you guys. So no way if we are just looking for enough for dinner for a couple guys we could find them in shallower water?? Like 100' or less?

Quote Originally Posted by HarborDawg View Post
    Thanks you guys. So no way if we are just looking for enough for dinner for a couple guys we could find them in shallower water?? Like 100' or less?
    Anything is possible, but not typical. I have caught crabs in front of the cabin at about 60' so you could try that.