Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premium fuel recommended for the 600 etec motors?

Default Premium fuel recommended for the 600 etec motors?

Why do they recommend premium fuel? If that's the case......ouch! more money on top of an already expensive engine option in the skandics and tundras.

How much are we talking about over the life of the machine? I think most people look at a few pennies and say this stuff just to be saying this stuff. Just sayin'.

These machines are toys for 90 percent of urban folks, what will a few additional cents here and there hurt? For a machine that may see only 750-900 miles with the original owner over two years?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

It's a high performance engine so I am told. I run premium in my Yamaha 4 stroke even though it's not required. Just a few extra bucks IMO. Seems reasonable.

Is the compression ratio of the engine too high for 87 octane fuel? Increasing compression would make the motor put out a bit more power, but at the expense of running premium fuel. It's the only reason I could think of, but nobody knows why so I'm hoping someone will.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Is the compression ratio of the engine too high for 87 octane fuel? Increasing compression would make the motor put out a bit more power, but at the expense of running premium fuel. It's the only reason I could think of, but nobody knows why so I'm hoping someone will.
    you may be spending more by running 87 octane vs 92 octane. if the machine call for 92 then that is what you should run........

here,s a good read, some mention it could set off a [ Knock sensor] and go into a limp mode.
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....246&hl=premium fuel&st=0
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....&#entry3616173
    I would run what the book say,s to run... Same goes for the oil....Plenty seem to run reg.. with no problems..
    I mean come on, you pay,What 8000.00-12000.00 for a machine. No cheap stuff for me..with that kind of investment?
    Like the Kids, i used to know bought fancy Mag, tires rims, for there car.. And couldn,t affort to put gas in it....

No implication of running regular unleaded through an etec motor. I was simply curious if it was true. Many places in Alaska, premium fuel isn't available. I don't own an Etec powered Ski Doo. Thanks for those links SusitnaAK. I guess the 550 Fan would probably be a much cheaper initial price, and cheaper to run in a utility machine.

yeah, these guys on brand new 2012 arctic cats were passing through tanana from the yukon and they had to gas up, and the gas station here sells only 87 octane haha

Lol if you think premium fuel is expensive wait until you have to buy parts for that motor or do any kind of major service.. You can't even change an oil pump without hooking it up to a computer which only a dealer can do.

I have an Etec sled and ran regular gas on few occasions and didn't notice any difference.

My Yamaha 4-stroke and SkiDoo etec use pump regular and work great. As has every other machine I've ever owned. My primary gas station is the pump at the Deshka Landing. I carry 100ll in my truck and have tried that as well as all sorts of mixtures. Nothing works better than regular unleaded. An opinion validated with a radar gun and a race sled, too.

The new RMK recommends 91 octane but has a resistor that you swap if you can't get it or if you are stuck using ethanol. The swap is simply pulling a yellow plug off under the hood and moving it to the low octane/ethanol setting. On the low setting you can burn down to standard 87.

Interesting thing about octane ratings and people's belief regarding them. Common ideology is that the higher the better when that is frequently wrong. Octane is a measurement of the fuels resistance to detonation. This is needed in very high compression motors where the fuel becomes more susceptible to premature detonation or knocking. In reality we want a fuel that detonates easily at the correct time for maximum efficiency. Higher octane gas is a motor built for regular will probably do little you would notice but may actually cost you some horsepower.

I guess the 550 Fan would probably be a much cheaper initial price, and cheaper to run in a utility machine.
    Maybe a cheaper initial purpose, but the actual $/mile used might just be cheaper with the Etec. The 550 is a fuel sucking pig.

For Pure utility machine, Ski Doo,s SWT with the 550 motor was one of the best made..But as doug say,s it was a fuel hog.. 5-8 mpg.. They dropped that motor,couple yr,s ago.And went with v-800. gets twice the mileage..13-15mph mostly 12-13 working it..
    Now they redid whole thing, platform, and choices of motor is the 600 ace or 600 etec...We be watching that one see how it holds up.
    I know Doug likes his Cat, and friend mine has the Vk viking, Hellofa work machine on packed trail..Bit of a hand full in powder breaking trail..

I like my Cat, but I am not brand loyal. We have a Yamaha, three running Polari (three parts sleds), a Skidoo and an Arctic Cat I will openly admit that a 550 powered Skandic Superwide will break trail better than my Bearcat. I also think the best SWT's were the 500 powered ones. No Skandic is as comfortable as a Bearcat at the end of the day on a trail.

They recommend it for riders in every possible condition. You may not need it at Sea level burping around on trails but the next guy doing high marks at 5000 ft may need the higher octane. Not all airplanes need high octane but once sucking on marginal air at altitude or hot temps they need the higher octane. That's why they run on 100LL. During WWII, the octane was the limiting factor in aircraft engine design. I remember at the pump when they used to sell 130 for aircraft. Tetraethyl lead was added to boost the octane. It's toxicity was the reason it was phased out.

Lower compression ratios (8:1) don't need the higher octane but higher ratios (12:1 and up) definitely do. The octane allows an even/controlled combustion otherwise you will detonation destroying power. I thought I read somewhere where the eTec was 10.5:1 but I also read somewhere it was 12:1. You might need it on compression ratio alone.

Other factors other than compression ratio are ignition timing, air density, air/fuel ratio, barometric pressure (again, air density), outside air temp/intake air temp (the higher the temp, the less dense). Operating at the upper end of these envelopes and you will definitely need the higher octane.

I have a Yamaha Nytro. The compression ratio is 10.8 to 1. This big 4 stroke is ok running any pump gas (until I boost it) but your etec is two cylinders and runs hotter as well as leaner. Both factors in detonation. I'd probably stick with the higher octane.

frankiejames you know an aaron marks there in tanana?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Irondoggers run 87 octane>>>>>>>>>>>>The push for the higher octane comes from how lean thay are running them, but also remember here in Ak we do not run ethanol which really posed problems for many sleds in the lower 48 thus the need for many others to run the better stuff.

As far as cost difference goes, if you can afford to drop that kind of $ on a new e-tec, you should be able to buy the premium fuel to run it right? If the book says to run 91, then that's what you should run, if you can find it. If you can't, I wouldn't worry about it since the computer control system should be smart enough to keep it from blowing the engine. It is a high compression engine but the computer will retard the injection and spark if it detects bad or low octane fuel. If you are going somewhere that doesn't have 91, just bring a bottle of octane booster, or find some 100LL to mix with it. Warning: to much 100LL can leave lead deposits in the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    frankiejames you know an aaron marks there in tanana?
    yes i do, my dad bought his 06 switchback 600 from him last year, he was my 5th grade teacher, and arnold is my teacher today

tell him jake jefferson said hi if you could frankie!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast