Thread: Video: Fallen Tree Provides Feast for Moose

Smile Video: Fallen Tree Provides Feast for Moose

After a wind storm knocked down the only tree in my front yard earlier this month, I got some help cleaning up the mess when a moose and her two calves showed up to enjoy the feast. They hung around for several hours and devoured the berries still clinging to the branches.

Since I was busy hauling debris behind the house, I did not notice them initially. Fortunately, my neighbor alerted me to their presence as I made a return trip to the front yard. I managed to slip away peacefully and view the activity from indoors. Needless to say, the clean-up project was put on hold for the remainder of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENvFC...1&feature=plcp

Arrow Photos of Tree Damage

Here's what 120 mile-per-hour wind gusts can do to a mature tree on the Lower Hillside in Anchorage.

I figure Santa brought an early gift this year -- firewood! Just wish he would have included a chainsaw.

1c - Tree Damage.jpg2c - Tree Damage.jpg.

Arrow More Photos of Tree Damage

The wind snapped it like a twig...

No doubt the moose will be disappointed to learn that one of their favorite dining spots is no longer available.

Attachment 55930Attachment 55931

FYI, one of the common names for those trees (Prunus padus, mayday tree) is "chokecherry" for a reason. Most of the year they are not toxic. But on occasion they can be. I am not necessarily opposed to the trees, but they aren't entirely benign, and some people do have it out for them...though I suspect they will not be banned, their use is tending to be discouraged, especially in Anchorage where they are beginning to naturalize and becoming more common than willow and alder in some places.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...01&issue_id=96

there are other articles from last spring by the local newsbots too. just thought you might be interested to know.

Dang, now I have to figure out what I have in the yard. Love my trees but they sound like they may be of this species. I will check em out this spring and may cut them down if they are. With all the birds that come in and eat the berries who knows how far they can spread!

Thumbs up Informative and Educational

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    FYI, one of the common names for those trees (Prunus padus, mayday tree) is "chokecherry" for a reason. Most of the year they are not toxic. But on occasion they can be. I am not necessarily opposed to the trees, but they aren't entirely benign, and some people do have it out for them...though I suspect they will not be banned, their use is tending to be discouraged, especially in Anchorage where they are beginning to naturalize and becoming more common than willow and alder in some places.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...01&issue_id=96

there are other articles from last spring by the local newsbots too. just thought you might be interested to know.
    Now, I know the species. At least there's one less chokecherry in the municipality now.

My neighborhood was established in the mid-1980s and many of the homes have this tree in their yard. The berries attract flocks of waxwings in the fall and lots of moose in the winter. It's quite a sight!