Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handheld GPS, supply position to your Nav Computer ??

Default Handheld GPS, supply position to your Nav Computer ??

Just wondering, before I buy yet another Furuno GP-32, as a secondary backup GPS,
    (I'm primarily using it to drive the position for my Navigation Computer, and they're so reliable if everything else goes down, the GP 32 will do it all for ya)

But, I have to wonder, has anyone tried using one of the top of the line, Handheld GPS' to supply position to their laptop or other Navigation Computer Software?

Thinking the Delorme Earthmate PN60w is pretty highly repped in the industry,
    and not a lot more $$ than the GP-32, if I could plug/adapt it to my computer, I'd then basically,

get a handheld to take hunting, for almost free,....Not bad thinking, eh??
    Can I plug it in and send that signal somehow?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I've set that up for quite a few people in the past. I'm not familiar with that particular GPS and at this point I don't know what nav software you are using on your computer. If you are currently using a GP32 then you are using basic NMEA. Most any GPS will output that...handheld or mounted.

Thanks mac,
    I'm running a Nobeltec software system on a Dell (with XP) desktop in the wheelhouse,

Also have a Maptech sftwr set, that I could use as a backup, tho Nobeltec is my primary,
    and a laptop (w/windows seven ) if that makes any difference

how have you usually set them up? Which Handhelds I mean

i haven't messed around with the handhelds yet but figured they have a usb cord of somekind,
    Is there anything else i need to pick up the data to the computer, and is it more compatible with XP than Seven?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I push the Garmin gear out of my shop so that's generally what we use. With most of their models you can get the data/rs232 9pin cord (serial/power) and plug it into the same 9pin connector that you're more then likely using for your gp32. If it's a more modern version of Nobeltec = >8.0 then you can install the "Garmin connector" wish will let you use the standard usb cable that comes with them. Hook it up and Nobeltec can set it up. I would opt for the 'older' style simply because its the most widely used and would work with both your Nobeltec and your Maptech programs.

Thanks for the info mac, very helpful

One other question I have before diving into the idea,
    Is there an option for an external antennae on the handhelds, that you've used?

Would it be an issue, versus the Furuno GP-32 with antennae/reciever on the top of the house?

I imagine those handhelds have a pretty good reception, but if it was for Navigation,
    I wouldn't want to be having it coming in and out, the reception I mean

As a Garmin guy, what Garmin would you recommend for my application ??
    Where are you working by the way, your shop? I might give you a call

REALLY appreciate your input

I have an old hand held garmin etrex that I keep on the boat for emergencies, it gets fine reception laying on the dash.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

what will they think of next! wow come along ways since the apple IIe!
    Semper Fi!

Garmin 62 st linked to your computer would be SWEET!!!

I use a Garmin 76 handheld unit linked to my old Dell laptop, the handheld unit is mounted on the dash in the window and works as well as my roof mounted antenna running to the chartplotter. I am running the SeaClear software, it is free shareware that uses NOAA raster charts (also free from the NOAA website). It makes a nice backup unit to my chartplotter and is great for route planning. The handheld is linked to the laptop using the supplied Garmin USB cord. For the SeaClear software it also requires the use of the Garmin Spanner software. This software is a serial port emulator that may or may not be needed with other charting software packages. If any one has a laptop and is looking for a cheap setup I'd recommend SeaClear. Bit of a pain to setup & get everything talking, but works well once it's going.

I'm in Petersburg. If I were you I'd get the Garmin 78sc. It's a bulletproof unit...fully water proof and it floats. It does have an external antenna plug but you really won't need it. The antenna's in those things are pretty incredible. The 76sc comes preloaded with all of the US Marine Coastal maps. Then you get an $80.00 chip for it that you plug in to give you your Alaska Topo charts. In my boat I have an older 76sc. I have my marine charts on it and I have power running to it from my 12v system through the power/data cable. I love it. When I hit the beach I unplug the 76 and off I go into the woods with it. The 78 is the upgrade to what I have and has things I wish I had. Wireless communications with other Garmin devices, electronic compass....etc.

Default "Heavy Sighing," the Handheld Gps Blues

Man, I'm singing, or Excasperatedly, Sighing some SAD notes on my "Cool Idea"

Bought the Delorme PN-60, cause of a classic "In the store, at Cabelas,... Buy It Fever," Attack

Got a Great deal, I'm totally happy with the unit, really fun to learn, driving around so far, amazing device,...Until

I NEED it to send signal to my boat's wheelhouse computer,...Nope

NOT Recognizing the "New Hardware"

and I'm trying Everything I can think of,.....Any Ideas out there ??

I have the Delorme software all downloaded fine, everything works, new Nobeltec software,...all up and running

But No GPS Signal,...Arrrggghhhh

I do have a backup plotter, so am not totally freakin' ...but I really hoped this would work

Not that this will help you now, but I just purchased a new Garmin Montana was a 4 inch touch screen that rotates like an iphone. I loaded the Alaska Topo map set, Plat Alaska land owner mapset, US Streets and roads turn by turn navigation, and the BlueChart g2 Vision: Alaska Large Map set. The one handheld GPS will give me service in my truck giving me turn by turn voice with the car mount, boat, and on foot. I bought it for my upcoming 1200 mile Yukon run this fall.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Funny, that's why I referred to the Buy It Fever at Cabellas deal,...had a feeling,...had heard lots about Garmin

That should be a beauty for ya Steve,..they are Fantastic for road trips, will be really cool if you dial it in on the River Journey like that...
    and I kinda like the roating screen but am not so sure on the touch screen aspect, after having a phone like that for a while,....but I'll admit, it seems Primitive now, to have to use buttons

heh heh, i'm always sweeping my finger across the screen, then realizing, oh yeah, that doesn't do anything here,....

I'm actually really happy with the little Delorme PN60, is amazingly light, and "Beyond Me" in Tech Capacity

But I'll be VERY NOT Happy if I don't get this GPS thing working

Of course I waited to the last week to get into the Computer Navigation Software stuff,...(not so smart for low stress strategy)

So, will you actually plot out a trip like that, waypoints and all, for that turn-by-turn voice ? Or is that a streets and hiways thing?
    Seems like some serious work plotting that river
    Planning is Fun Tho

The turn by turn only works for the street nav part, but I have a track file for my Yukon trip, so load the track and follow the line.

Hope you get it working, I tried googling your issue and can't find much.

Wishing you light winds and calm seas.

Steve
    Founding Member

Might try digging around and asking here on their forum.

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=173998
    Founding Member

Thanks,..

Tracks are what I like to work with,...ya know they work

found this.....

It is possible to use the PN-60 as a GPS receiver in routing mode with a laptop that has Topo9 installed. Turn off 3D mode if the laptop is underpowered
    Founding Member

You may need to find a serial port emulator for the DeLorme. Most mapping software needs an nmea 0183 input that is typically transmitted to a serial port on your computer. If you are using a USB cable to connect the GPS to the computer you'll probably need the serial port emulator to get the signal to your mapping software. For my Garmin handheld I use the Garmin spanner software (free download) as a serial port emulator to get the signal into my SeaClear software. You might also check the baud rate setting on your handheld unit to make sure it matches the setting in your software.

I wired a serial connection out of my Garmin 545s plotter to feed the Chart Navigator Pro software on my laptop. The software has great 3D Contours of the bottom to help find good holes. I can also feed the software from my Garmin CS60 handheld that i carry as a backup. I can also run the 545 and the laptop/CS60 at the same time so i have redundant GPS signals. The chart navigator pro software can take plain nmea 183 input, or you can switch and use the Garmin USB input.

DSC_0197.jpg

AKBoatR

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    You may need to find a serial port emulator for the DeLorme. Most mapping software needs an nmea 0183 input that is typically transmitted to a serial port on your computer. If you are using a USB cable to connect the GPS to the computer you'll probably need the serial port emulator to get the signal to your mapping software. For my Garmin handheld I use the Garmin spanner software (free download) as a serial port emulator to get the signal into my SeaClear software. You might also check the baud rate setting on your handheld unit to make sure it matches the setting in your software.
    Thanks guys, so far, I think this may be my answer,...the Serial Port, for NMEA Input
    Unfortunately, I don't have one on the computer, not a big deal to attach one tho, and I do have room for it

I did get the Computer to recognize the PN-60, on the Topo 9 software (Delormes sftwr deal) so that's some progress
    took a combination of, "Searching for Device," off the Control panel, and in Settings on the device, "Connecting to Computer," and several jukes and jives on how to do that,...not fun, or easy, but I think I have that,...Yet

The Nobeltec System still does not pick up the NMEA signal, so I'm thinking it is the fact that it is not running thru a 9-pin Serial Port
    So, I'll be trying that today, wire up a 9-pin plug to USB adapter,...Hmmmm

Hope it works, seems to make sense, I'll let ya know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast