Thread: Question on Salmon

Default Question on Salmon

This is just for my personal curiosity.

Why are Kings limited to 1 a day ?

Which species of salmon is most/least abundant ?

Which is your favorite to eat ?
    Alaska bound !

I answer part one for you just to make people think Um!

Several Reasons - Starting with least abundant, limit resource for several reasons to include over fishing, decreasing genetics, by catch in the ocean, illegal harvest on the high seas in some locations, massive crowds on most rivers with reasonable access which in turn when you equate a total potential return of 7000-10,000 fish and you have 2-3,000.00 people per weekend trying to harvest them you have to limit the available harvest of the intended target.

Simply put not enough to go around my friend.

Let the bullets fly eh.

BMR

Kings are the least abundant, which probably is the reason why they are limitted to 1 per day. Plus there is a seasonal limit of 5 in the Cook Inlet.

I am guessing, but I would say the most abundant are the Pinks.

My personal favorite for eating are Copper River Reds followed by Silvers
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Kings are the least abundant..............for most abundant, I would have to say either pinks. My favorite fish to eat........halibut, or ling.

Kings limited to one a day because they are arguably the most prized salmon species in Alaska and even one of the most prized fish in all of the world. Most of the sportfishing for kings occurs in rivers where fish are more stressed and easier to catch due to limited space to swim. Basically more people trying to catch them than kings available. The only fisheries with liberal kings limits are the ocean trolling fisheries because they are catching feeder kings and not spawning kings.

Pinks are most abundant due to comm. hatcheries that raise and release millions and millions of them. If it wasn't for hatchery pinks and hatchery dogs, red salmon would probably be the most abundant salmon and in my opinion and many others the most tasty salmon to eat (besides maybe a fresh ocean feeder king).

Favorite to eat is halibut and ling cod, can't beat those. Ocean king and red salmon are the favorites in the salmon category.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    Kings limited to one a day because they are arguably the most prized salmon species in Alaska and even one of the most prized fish in all of the world. Most of the sportfishing for kings occurs in rivers where fish are more stressed and easier to catch due to limited space to swim. Basically more people trying to catch them than kings available. The only fisheries with liberal kings limits are the ocean trolling fisheries because they are catching feeder kings and not spawning kings.

Pinks are most abundant due to comm. hatcheries that raise and release millions and millions of them. If it wasn't for hatchery pinks and hatchery dogs, red salmon would probably be the most abundant salmon and in my opinion and many others the most tasty salmon to eat (besides maybe a fresh ocean feeder king).

Favorite to eat is halibut and ling cod, can't beat those. Ocean king and red salmon are the favorites in the salmon category.
    I didn't know what a Ling Cod was, so looked it up and have to say these suckers get to a nice size http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icND-gu1fj0 . I think this was caught off Kodiak .
    Alaska bound !

Kings are the least abundant and reds are the most tasty treat, but then I did have a ocean caught pink that tasted pretty darn good too!

I know you guys take your fishing seriously but this is just o much lol !

JulyLR5lowres.jpg
    Alaska bound !