Thread: Kenai sockeye

Default Kenai sockeye

I will be in the Kenai area the second week of June. Where is a good site to camp and fish for sockeye on the Kenai?

Swiftwater Park in Soldotna is a definite option.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default June Sockeye

The June Sockeye fishing is just starting to catch on on the lower/middle river. As far as I could tell, Swiftwater was the only place that folks could consistently catch fish... and very slow at that... So, I agree, Swiftwater Park is likely your best spot. The one BIG unknown is what areas will support bank fishing due to the ice/flood disaster this year.

Good luck

I have far better luck on the Russian than the Kenai in mis-June. If you hike upstream 2-3 miles from the Russian River Campground you can largely escape the crowds and enjoy some clearwater sight casting for sockeye instead of the blind flipping common to the Kenai. Additionally, the early run doesn't have as many fish at that early date, so fishing them in a smaller river (the Russian) seems to up the odds a bit. But hey, that's just my personal preference. Can't wait until June 11th!

-Brian

definately don't go to the russian there are definately no kings there that time of year you should stay on the lower river
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.