Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad tasting

Default Bad tasting

Have you ever had a mouth full and had to spit it out?I think the worst is a bad tasting duck ,I used to eat alot of them.Every year I would get one mostly malards that you just had to throw away, you just had to spit it out. I've had that same foul taste come from frog legs maybe one in 50.I have eaten bull elk that was really stong and deer that you could not get the gut taste out of it even though they were not gut shot. I have eaten a lot of tag soup in my years not a good meal. This falls long awaited goat tag has left the longest after taste to date.There is not any game out there I will not try once.Is there any game you will not eat again? I know....I got to get out of the house.

Wsahington politics is about the only game I won't eat. No wait.... Those guys were tamed by rich folks a long time ago.

The only animal I have tried that I did not care for was some mule deer my brother in law shot in Idaho. It was not a big rut buck either, just a small fork horn. I doubt I will ever try mule deer again, but then again, not too many of them to be found in AK. I have tasted some moose that wasn't near as good as others, but in general I like moose, except for liver. I have given liver from moose and blacktail a honest effort, it just doesn't do it for me,
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I think you need to attend: Field Processing 101 and if you already took it, take it again. I have eaten several Mt. Goats per year and never had a nibble of Mt. Goat that was not wonderful. Even ate one that had a (yellow and green) puss pocket 6" or 8" in diameter and 3" thick. Just cut out the puss pocket plus a inch and process.

Many hunters don't understand that you have to keep the lanolin from the hair from touching the meat. I don't know squat about frog legs or tag soup, but meat if "NOT" shot in the rut, is like food for/from the gods.

My grandfather used to tell me about eating woodchucks during the depression and how it was always a special sunday if he or his roommate got one to bake for a sunday dinner....5 years ago I shot a young one by the barn, no mites or nasty on him, thought "what the heck" started a fire and cooked up its tiny little backstraps with some salt and pepper. Tasted kind of fishy and chewy and won't be eating one of them again.

ergoman, 50+ years ago I used to sell whole woodchucks. .25 cents if head shot, .15 cents if center shot. I could make one dollar a day. Good wages back when .22 longs were .40 cents for a box of 50 and long rifles were .45 cents a box.

Interesting ideas and maybe some great recipes will pop up...

I remember as a kid, running the riverbottoms, living off of the land..just me and the dog making shelters out of whatever a young man could and always finding something with 4 legs to shoot for that nice quiet lunch or dinner in the swamp. I think I have about eaten everything that lives out there at one point or at least tried it while growing up hunting. The worst was a Mink me and dog pushed along a small slough.. I finally got a shot as it was getting dark...and knew it would go good with the can of pork and beans I had. Little sprinkle of salt and pepper stashed away in my uncle's ol' Vietnam butt pack... skewed on a stick across a little fire..sure smelled good. Maybe the musk glad..not sure..but that first bite was terrible..even my faithful friend just turned up his nose and turned in for the night...probably the first thing as a young hunter I had ever killed and didn't eat or at least try..lol

Grab the 22, buttpack, dog, couple of cans of pork and beans, a few strike anywhere matches and hit the woods for the weekend.
    Man, what great times those were then. Wish I had one of these Magnesium fire starters back then.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Duckhunter01:

You know how to live.

I betcha, the Dawgie loved it too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have had some so-so game meat over the years and some, really delicious as well...BUT...I have yet to taste anything as foul as a Bull Caribou in Rut. I don't think it is possible for someone to actually swallow it. The Gagging Reflex would prevent that from happening.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Most of the Hares here taste just like they smell while your cleaning them..And NO,they werent gut shot,all head shots. No gut sac opened on the meat either,very clean. They just have a odor and taste about them.

Default To each his own

People have different tastes.

Natives have all kinds of, what I would consider, bizarre tastes for things, such as fermented fish heads, seal flipper, etc.

I have known guys who liked moose but hated caribou and vica versa.

I have known people who had a taste for owl.

I met a woman cutting up a Dall porpoise who told me how much better it was than beluga.

Some folks won't eat rainbows; some think halibut is bland.

Some folks just like to kill or play with animals and aren't concerned with eating them. All different types of folks out there. After living in an Eskimo village for years, I learned to eat a lot of things I would never have dreamed of eating, and I ate them thankfully. Besides, my momma taught be not to be persnickety.

Salt water soaking, catsup and various marinades can make almost anything palatable.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Almost 34 years in Alaska (all 34 of my life, incognito res. plug) and here's my break-down of non-palatable (or barely if you live in the netherregions of our beautiful state and can't drive to the store) table fare:

Worst flavor:

1. Bull-caribou in da rut. Really doesn't taste good, and any road access dweller that tells you different is trying to justify the giant, blood-shot eyed bull that they just shot (that almost ran them over when they held up a plastic fred meyer bag looking for their breakfast.)

Toughest:

1. Large Billy Goat, any time o' year. How many of us have thought, "man this flavor is fantastic, but why the hell am I chewing the same piece after 20 minutes?" (great holiday diet plan)

**disclaimer: I've taken Field Processing 101, as well as the graduate level processing classes, and my conclusions are the same. We all have different tastes, so feel free to disagree- twon't matter to me.

I eat Beef because I hate Cows. At least its tasteing good.

Rut Caribou is sickening to smell, I will not eat it.

I'm a dark beer, black coffee, pickled and salted, Rougfurt Cheeze, Salami, Frozen fremeted Whitfish eggs and Seal oil,fermented Flippers and Tounge soup kinda guy
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Could you please tell me what fermented flippers taste like

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    The only animal I have tried that I did not care for was some mule deer my brother in law shot in Idaho. It was not a big rut buck either, just a small fork horn. I doubt I will ever try mule deer again
    Maybe it was of the blessed ones that has Chronic Wasting Disease. I shot one this year in Colorado that I had tested and it came back positive for the disease. All of the venison went into the landfill in Homer (as per the recommendation of the Colorado DOW).

Quote Originally Posted by LufkinMike View Post
    Could you please tell me what fermented flippers taste like
    I bet it's not much different than beaver tail. You might recall from previous conversations on here that a good many of us extoll the virtues of eating beaver, but given the opportunity, we'd all jump at the chance to eat seal flipper too, I'm sure. I got ahold of some beaver the other day that was on the verge of resembling fermented seal flipper, but I ate and savored it with genuine delight. You see, often it's not about the "good" taste with beaver or seal - but rather the experience of harvesting and preparing the animal for the table (or counter or stovetop or even right there on the floor).
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Shot 3 bull elk in New Mexico with archery tackle - couldn't stand it - thought maybe it was the area. rut whatever - so went to Montana and shot 3 on rifle hunts - young bulls post rut - same flavor - wife and I gave it all away - for whatever reason we just don't like elk!

Ducks are not my favorite however we like them sliced very thin, rolled in flower and seasoned then deep fried.
    Same with goose - also like goose jerky....
    Quail or dove - now thats some yummy eatin!

Merry Christmas fellow hunters!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The only thing worse than caribou in the rut is porcupine in the rut. Dang thats some awful stuff, still ate it though, cause if I shoot it iI eat it but the dog wouldn't even eat it.

I cooked some marten meat over a fire a couple days ago and it tasted like grouse done the same way. fox is good as long as you don't hit the glands when you skin it. I eat pretty much any small critter, and surprisingly Lemmings are pretty good. day old road oil possum are not, but I didn't kill it so I didn't eat it hehe.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter353 View Post
    I think the worst is a bad tasting duck ,I used to eat alot of them.Every year I would get one mostly malards that you just had to throw away, you just had to spit it out.

Mallards are known for gorging themselves on salmon eggs and rotting salmon flesh.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

A large mulie from Wyoming. He was rutted up pretty good and the meat was so strong we couldn't eat it. It smelled and tasted like sagebrush. The other three we shot on that trip were just fine. Never had that happen before or since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast