Thread: Avalanche conditions near Bird Creek or Eagle River?

Default Avalanche conditions near Bird Creek or Eagle River?

I'm either going to go hiking and snowboarding in the South Fork Eagle River valley or riding out at Bird Creek. I cant quite decide what to do yet, because I'm bringing a newbie guy from out of state with me. Trying to find avalanche assessment of either places. The Alaska Avalanche center and Chugach state park offices dont do assessment of the park. Anyone been out there or have a better resource? Thank you, Andrew.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    I'm either going to go hiking and snowboarding in the South Fork Eagle River valley or riding out at Bird Creek. I cant quite decide what to do yet, because I'm bringing a newbie guy from out of state with me. Trying to find avalanche assessment of either places. The Alaska Avalanche center and Chugach state park offices dont do assessment of the park. Anyone been out there or have a better resource? Thank you, Andrew.
    "...and if you don't have a beacon, sell your snowboard and buy one."

Buy beacons, it's sensible.

One of the rules you learn in an avalanche course is to stay off a mountain for 24 hours after a snow storm. If the snow is as fine and dry as it is in west Anchorage the mountains are going to be deadly. If you have never taken an avalanche course you should it could save your life or a friends.

This is for the Turnagain area only. http://www.cnfaic.org/advisories/current.php?id=

Quote Originally Posted by sterlingsurfer View Post
    Buy beacons, it's sensible.
    Shouldn't need to, but it must be stated that beacons don't save you from avalanches. Especially if you're going out back with a "newbie guy". If he gets hit, you might be able to find him. If you get hit, he won't know what to do about it, being a "newbie". Often times, beacons are touted as the end-all, save-all of going out back. Unless accompanied by a small group (or more) who are all equipped with the training to use them and the tools to probe and dig, beacons are worthless and can give one a false sense of security to go where they shouldn't be.

Learn to read the terrain and evaluate the snow conditions yourself and in real time. Then you don't need to worry about what the park service says. You'll be able to look around you and say, "let's go somewhere else today".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Shouldn't need to, but it must be stated that beacons don't save you from avalanches. Especially if you're going out back with a "newbie guy". If he gets hit, you might be able to find him. If you get hit, he won't know what to do about it, being a "newbie". Often times, beacons are touted as the end-all, save-all of going out back. Unless accompanied by a small group (or more) who are all equipped with the training to use them and the tools to probe and dig, beacons are worthless and can give one a false sense of security to go where they shouldn't be.

Learn to read the terrain and evaluate the snow conditions yourself and in real time. Then you don't need to worry about what the park service says. You'll be able to look around you and say, "let's go somewhere else today".
    Agreed. Very well put. I didn't mean to suggest that beacons would save them. I was just attempting to say in a shorthanded way that folks heading into the backcountry need to take responsibility for themselves rather than relying on forecasts and forums...

Eagle River got hit with 15" of snow last night. You might want to avoid the slopes in Eagle River until they've had time to settle.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post

And don't forget to bring your beacon, probe and shovel. Ever. If you don't have a shovel you can borrow mine cause I'd rather you have it than me.
    If anything is going to happen, it'll happen out there.