Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big lake burbs at night

Default Big lake burbs at night

I havent fished for burbot on big lake yet so i figured I would give it a shot. I want to get out there between 10 or 11 at night. So what lure would you guys recommend?

cheese seems to be pretty popular but I've never tried it.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I recommend a lead head glow in the dark halibut jig. the jig i prefer has an 8" glow body and I have done well with it.

do not use bait as you could get fined as bait is not allowed. bait is allowed however if fishing for pike between the hours of 8am-5pm and is specific on the type of bait used and must be whole. check the regs if you have any ?'s

Thanks guys! I always make sure to check the regs before I hit up a new lake or fish it for the first time that year. I appreciate the advice on the lures. Anymore would be much appreciated.

A big chunk of cut bait would work the best!

Quote Originally Posted by jksteve89 View Post
    I havent fished for burbot on big lake yet so i figured I would give it a shot. I want to get out there between 10 or 11 at night. So what lure would you guys recommend?

Unfortunately, a big chunk of cut bait is not currently allowed.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    A big chunk of cut bait would work the best!
    Trust me if it was allowed I wouldn't be asking this lure question! As I have had great success on other lakes with herring.

Sorry I didn't think about you being on big lake, A jig is about your only option I'd put out one line that has a small, say 1/16 ounce jig(rubber) and another one with a bigger rubber jig, I would think rubber would be more natural to a burbots mouth/whiskers, I have never fished for burbot but catfish, form my experience were that way, back in oregon, but thats in oregon....You never know, I think you are allowed 5 lines so you might wanna try a few of them. Have you fished for burbot before? I mean with bait and such?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Sorry I didn't think about you being on big lake, A jig is about your only option I'd put out one line that has a small, say 1/16 ounce jig(rubber) and another one with a bigger rubber jig, I would think rubber would be more natural to a burbots mouth/whiskers, I have never fished for burbot but catfish, form my experience were that way, back in oregon, but thats in oregon....You never know, I think you are allowed 5 lines so you might wanna try a few of them. Have you fished for burbot before? I mean with bait and such?
    Only if you are targeting pike.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

So i went to big lake last night and had no luck. I was fishing on the east wayside. I was hoping that may be you guys could point me in the right direction.

I got this big one at 11:30 PM, April 28, last Spring, in less than ten feet of water. Not Big Lake, Lake Laberge over here, but burbot are burbot in every lake I have fished them in after dark.

Five inch, glow in the dark jig on six pound test line.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner Ted View Post
    I got this big one at 11:30 PM, April 28, last Spring, in less than ten feet of water. Not Big Lake, Lake Laberge over here, but burbot are burbot in every lake I have fished them in after dark.

Five inch, glow in the dark jig on six pound test line.

Ted
    I am very jealous

So i went to big lake last night and had no luck. I was fishing on the east wayside. I was hoping that may be you guys could point me in the right direction.
    How deep were you fishing?I like to find good drop offs and bounce off the bottom from approx. 25-40 ft deepBig lake is exactly that- a fairly large lake and has many places to drop a line and be successful. Take a look at a bathymetric map of big lake and you will see many locations to try. I "recharge" my lure with a bright light frequently. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by komocazie74 View Post
    How deep were you fishing?I like to find good drop offs and bounce off the bottom from approx. 25-40 ft deepBig lake is exactly that- a fairly large lake and has many places to drop a line and be successful. Take a look at a bathymetric map of big lake and you will see many locations to try. I "recharge" my lure with a bright light frequently. Hope this helps
    I was fishing in about ten feet of water. I thought this would be a good depth since I was there from 9-12. I was using a glow krazy kenai thunder lure that glows orange.

i have done well on big lake after a stiff learning curve. tried all the deep and cold, dark and feb-march season. bait, when a person could. found 0. but one day fishing for rainbows or char, 10 ft deep 50 off the point straight out from the klondike boat ramp, a buddy and i hit the jackpot. first line through the hole was hooked up before it hit the bottom. 30 min. later we each had our limit and lost count of how many we put back. chrome crocodile with clear prisom tape. good luck.

I am very jealous
    I was fishing in about ten feet of water. I thought this would be a good depth since I was there from 9-12. I was using a glow krazy kenai thunder lure that glows orange.
    No need to be jealous. Just head out there a few more times and try some shallow water in some other places. That's where they are after dark, and can be caught in as little as two feet of water under the ice. My experience has also been that bigger lures work best at night. My buddy uses a six inch lake trout spoon.

Don't give up. You will find them!

Ted

Fishing any part of big lake in less than 10 feet of water between 11pm and 3 am with a glow in the dark jig and a half oz lead head will catch burbot from now till breakup ( don't fish after the season closes BTW )

The channel in front of the old marina is a paticular hotspot keep dropping that jig right down in the muck a burbot knows muddy smelling water means dinner and they like to hold in the current there by the outlet more and more as they get closer to spawning.

Do the burbot bite well all winter long? Heard or read somewhere that they go off the bite in mid winter when they spawn or something. Will have to give Big Lake a try. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Was out there all day long last weekend and not one bite!

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Do the burbot bite well all winter long? Heard or read somewhere that they go off the bite in mid winter when they spawn or something. Will have to give Big Lake a try. Sounds like a lot of fun.
    Exact opposite they tend to be more aggressive (defensive) during the spawn, but you have to locate them they will tend to swarm together because of the type of spawning they do. Which intails more holes and searching to find the nest. Drill holes in the areas which look good and if you dont have a bite in 15 min move, but you might not have to move far many times i have seen a 10ft move the difference between 10 burb and none. Keep in mind they are not searching for food so bait is usually not the factor. if you pick up a couple drill four different directions and fish each until your production increases then keep moving in that direction until production slows once youve found a hole mark it burbot are fish of habit and they tend to use the same area every year within 100' or so. Not sure if it is the structure or type of bottom or familiar area. Every lake is different, for the spawn, and every year time period is crucial you could fish your honey hole one week with nothin and come back the next week and fish the same hole and catch 30. Depending on the spawn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast