Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OTC vs draw permit

Default OTC vs draw permit

If you draw a moose tag can you use that tag only for that hunt or is it ok to use for an otc hunt, or lessor animal? For example say you have drawn a moose tag and your unit borders an otc area can you hunt the otc area?

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    If you draw a moose tag can you use that tag only for that hunt or is it ok to use for an otc hunt, or lessor animal? For example say you have drawn a moose tag and your unit borders an otc area can you hunt the otc area?
    If you are referring to a drawing permit, it can only be used for the specific hunt it was drawn for. If you want the ability to hunt moose in other areas, you either have to have a permit for that specific are or have a regular harvest tag. Please note that harvest tags are still subject to restrictions specific to the area you are hunting. If you are a non-resident, I think there is some provision regarding a harvest tag being legal for "lesser" game, but I don't know the details about that.

All OTC hunts are still open to you via a Harvest Ticket. All a drawn permit does for you is open additional options in a specific area to harvest an animal that is NOT available OTC.

On another issue, how does a drawn permit impact the ability to hunt the same species statewide when more liberal bag limits exist elsewhere? For instance, say I draw DC001-Kenai Caribou and am fortunate enough to harvest my caribou opening weekend. Later in the month can I take my bow and head up to the Haul Rd for some additional bou hunting? Does my DC-001 permit become null and void if I hunt the Haul Rd first and have already killed one caribou on the year?

yes.... well sort of... well most of the time...

DC001 must be harvested first then off to the slope and catch the bag limit up there LESS the one you already harvested. (bag limit of 10 up north means you can harvest 9)

Black Bear and Deer are the worst. You must go in order of most restrictive to least restrictive. You can harvest a 14C blackie then go get 2 more in a 3 bear/year area. You CAN'T harvest any bears in a 3 or more bear area then go and harvest a 14C bear. Same goes for deer in PWS/POW/Kodiak etc

Clear as mud now?

OK, lets make it EVEN WORSE!! If you sign up and hunt Tier II caribou out of the nelchina herd then you can't harvest any caribou (or moose for that matter) anywhere else in the state and neither can your family . No registration winter moose registration hunts no nothing. I actually found it a bit odd that they didn't remove that restriction after the Tier II season is closed by EO. But, I guess it is a win for those of us who don't participate in the subsistence shell game.

How about if you get drawn for a unit 13 draw permit ( not the teir). Can you get a caribou in unit 13 then later go up to the slope and get your limit minus one?

I might be a tad confused... if I draw a 20B antlerless permit, am I also eligible to hunt bull moose in 20B under harvest ticket regulations or am I locked into only hunting an antlerless moose? By also, I mean hunting either at the same time - I don't mean that two moose would get shot.

Similarly, how does drawing a permit and filling the tag affect a registration hunt? Could I draw DC001 and shoot a caribou and then hunt the Fortymile registration hunt later?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Some antlerless hunts state that you can only harvest an antlerless moose in that unit. It will be noted in the supplement if that is the case.

No you cannot harvest a DC001 bou and a 40mile registration bou in the same year. You can harvest either tag but not both. You also cannot harvest a dalton highway bou then hunt either DC001 or 40 mile. Every animal harvested anywhere in the state counts toward your bag limit for that species. If you harvest your limit in one unit you can go to another unit with a HIGHER limit and kill additional animals up to that limit. So 1 black bear in 14C then go to unit 13 and kill 2 more to max at the unit 13 limit of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    How about if you get drawn for a unit 13 draw permit ( not the teir). Can you get a caribou in unit 13 then later go up to the slope and get your limit minus one?
    Yes, exactly correct.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I might be a tad confused... if I draw a 20B antlerless permit, am I also eligible to hunt bull moose in 20B under harvest ticket regulations or am I locked into only hunting an antlerless moose? By also, I mean hunting either at the same time - I don't mean that two moose would get shot.

Similarly, how does drawing a permit and filling the tag affect a registration hunt? Could I draw DC001 and shoot a caribou and then hunt the Fortymile registration hunt later?
    It is pretty clearly explained on page 16 of the big game hunting regulations under "bag limits". Here is a link directly to them: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...fs/general.pdf

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    My understanding is that most of the antlerless moose tags you can't hunt a harvest ticket in the same unit. I think you can use a harvest ticket on a bull anywhere but the unit for which you drew the antlerless tag. Is that right, Lujon?

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    My understanding is that most of the antlerless moose tags you can't hunt a harvest ticket in the same unit. I think you can use a harvest ticket on a bull anywhere but the unit for which you drew the antlerless tag. Is that right, Lujon?
    It is only that way in a select number of locations. It is clearly stated in the permit hunt supplement when you apply under the column for "Additional Requirements and Information" on the right of the permit listing. Unit 20B is an example of this. There are a number of antlerless permits listed that do not have those limitations.

Lets say I draw a koyukuk moose tag can I use that tag and hunt otc moose (bull)? I can only kill one moose I know that. Reason I ask is one tag I am applying for borders an otc area so I am curious if I have to watch the border.

Lets say I draw a koyukuk moose tag can I use that tag and hunt otc moose (bull)? I can only kill one moose I know that. Reason I ask is one tag I am applying for borders an otc area so I am curious if I have to watch the border.
    No. There is no such thing as a "draw tag". There are drawing permits and harvest tags. They are different. If you get the permit in a drawing such as the one that entries are due by the end of the year, it is ONLY good for the specific area described on the permit. It can not be used anywhere else. You will want to also get a harvest tag and you can hunt under that if it is a legal area and for an animal that is legal to hunt under the conditions of that harvest tag. While you can have both a drawing permit and a harvest tag, you can only fill one or the other as per the description listed under "Bag Limits" on page 16 of the regs.

I wanted to bring this back up (see my other thread called "Am I legal?"). I drew a DC827 bou permit, I went online and bought the locking tag, which was just a "general" locking tag (my term for it) so, it seems to me, like I could go hunt caribou anywhere legal (over the counter tags) OR hunt DC827. I am asking because I am nervous I got the wrong thing. I will confirm with G&F

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I wanted to bring this back up (see my other thread called "Am I legal?"). I drew a DC827 bou permit, I went online and bought the locking tag, which was just a "general" locking tag (my term for it) so, it seems to me, like I could go hunt caribou anywhere legal (over the counter tags) OR hunt DC827. I am asking because I am nervous I got the wrong thing. I will confirm with G&F
    DON your correct in one aspect.. that as a non resident you have the locking tag.. and a HARVEST permit...

YOU can take that locking tag with a Havest tag (overthe counter) and use it on the haul road if you like, or in the 4o mile if you like...

the key is you must have BOTH harvest and locking tag in possession. for each species you wish to hunt..

the DC827 harvest permit allows you to hunt the Delta herd. and is the only piece that give you permission.. the DC827 does not have its OWN locking tag associated with it.. a caribou lock is a caribou lock.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    It is only that way in a select number of locations. It is clearly stated in the permit hunt supplement when you apply under the column for "Additional Requirements and Information" on the right of the permit listing. Unit 20B is an example of this. There are a number of antlerless permits listed that do not have those limitations.
    Right on. I see that in the event you have DM 788, DM786 or DM 789 which are for antlerless moose in the Fbks Management Area, the draw supplement specifically states you cannot hunt or take an antlered bull in the Fbks Management Area....however, there is no such restriction listed for the other antlerless permits in 20B. That being the case, it appears that while you are hunting 20B with a valid antlerless tag in your pocket, you can legally take an antlered bull in that area provided you have a HT in your pocket as well.

Am I misunderstanding this? I thought the regs state a hunter can bag/possess only one moose per year.

So, if you have an antlerless permit, you may not bag a bull under the general season harvest ticket, unless:
    1. You hunt the early season antlerless and are unsuccessful.
    2. The antlerless season overlaps the general season and you shoot a bull instead of a cow . . . using the harvest tag in lieu of the permit.
    3. Prior to the late antlerless season, you bag that trophy bull. At this point, I don't believe one can hunt for a cow too.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticNorseman View Post
    Am I misunderstanding this? I thought the regs state a hunter can bag/possess only one moose per year.

So, if you have an antlerless permit, you may not bag a bull under the general season harvest ticket, unless:
    2. The antlerless season overlaps the general season and you shoot a bull instead of a cow . . . using the harvest tag in lieu of the permit.
    3. Prior to the late antlerless season, you bag that trophy bull. At this point, I don't believe one can hunt for a cow too.
    Correct, you can use the HT in lieu of the DM permit. One moose per year.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticNorseman View Post

All the above is TRUE. The only way that i KNOW you can legaly take TWO moose in one year is by banging a moose the above way, and then getting a "RM" hunt which is REGISTRATION MANAGEMENT. You could legally kill a bunch of moose by "proxy" hunting, but your supposed to give the meat hide and horns to the "proxy"

Spookum . . . under the RM rules, at least for the 20A antlerless RM hunts, they changed the allowance for bagging an extra moose. Last year, I signed up for that permit in Jan/Feb 2012, and the permit stated if the hunter killed a moose in 2011, you weren't allowed to bag another moose in 2012.

Fairly obvious point . . . always check the regs and ask F&G if you have questions. Or, ask for a lawyer when the troopers are interrogating you . . . lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast