Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alert! Alaska wildlife troopers

Default Alert! Alaska wildlife troopers

Alaska Wildlife Troopers (AWT) have submitted proposal 49 tothe Board of Game.(BOG)
    This proposal which I have added below. Asks the BOG torequire all taxidermist/tanneries to gather info on each and every one of youthat have tanning or taxidermy done in this state.
    This proposal seams harmless at first glance. As it seamnecessary for a business to keep good records so you the consumer will haveconfidence in getting back what you have giving any business. For the most partthat already happens. Yes ever now and then a mix up happens. Mostly due tohuman error, and the vast majority of time that error is corrected.
    What AWT is asking for is the taxidermist/tannery"Must" compile data and you! To who you are and what you have dropedoff at taxidermist/tannery. And that the business must keep those records for 5years. And AWT can inspect those records at their demand.
    Why is AWT asking the BOG for this authority? Because thispesky little thing called the CONSITUTION! Mainly Article 1 sec. 14 Searchesand Seizures
    “The right of the people to be secure in their persons,houses and other property, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searchesand seizures, shall not be violated. No warrants shall issue, but upon probablecause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the placeto be searched, and the persons or things to be seized”.
    Law makers, Lawenforcement, and the court system (judges) have found anyway around ourguaranteed rights as a free people. it is the issuance of license and permits.In this case if you desire to be a taxidermist or tannery you would have to geta license. AWT is asking the BOG to put conditions on those licenses. Thecondition being the person accepting the license would have to waive his right tobe secure in his property! and law enforcement would have to show a judgepropbel cause for an issuance of a warrant. Our checks and balances. So lawenforcement would not go on fishing expeditions just to try to find offences.and to protect us from overzealous officers of the state. To demand "letme see your papers" where have you heard that before?
    Also AWT claims they this to protect taxidermist. I don'tknow how. What i do see is i have made and error in my paper work i willreceive a citation. A game violation for administrative errors.
    Also this newregulation would discourage the illegal trafficking of wildlife. How? I contentif i were involved or was do due something less than honorable, why would Ilogin/out those items? This just raises the bar for those who are involved inthat kind of active and will make them even more cautious, and harder to catch.
    How big is thisproblem of taxidermist/tanneries conducting illegal actives? You would be hardpressed to find many. if the true be known, Alaska has more bank robberies inone year that if you added up all the taxidermist/tanneries that have had somesort of violation. does having the law on the books stop bank robberies?

This is nothing morethan AWT wanting their job to be easier. While increasing small businesses workload. Public Safety should be protecting our constitutional rights and notspend time figuring ways around it!

This still hasnothing to do with civil issues.(so andso lost my bear, or I did not get the right animal back) as it is not AWT'sjob, nor does AWT get involved in civil issues. Free enterprise and capitalismdictate and weed out the idiots. Yes we do have some ever now and then. justlike used car salesmen. or any other industry.

Let me make just one more comment. As many of you know whenyou drop your trophies off at your favor taxidermy shops. You’re dropping themoff at privet home. This business in Alaska is mainly a home based industry. Sothink of the families that dwell there. and how law enforcement has treatedother home owners.

So all were asking for is a moment of your time to write aletter to the BOG in opposition to proposal 49. Never mind what is done in thelower 48. We are ALASKANS and still somewhat free. Why lose another right thatso many have died for.

I know I have ramble on. But this is an important one. Ifyou have any question or want to know more. i am available most of time452-6047 al

REMEMBER 30 Dec.deadline.

AWT submits the following amended language to the board forconsideration;

(a) A person licensed as a taxidermist in the statethatperforms any taxidermy on big game, small game or furbearers shall maintainanaccurate and detailed record which specifies all big game, small gameorfurbearers acquired, possessed or stored for taxidermy purposes. Suchrecordshall include at least the following:
    1) The date, name and address of the person fromwhom eachspecimen was received
    2) A description of each specimen or the description ofthepart received.
    3) The date, name andaddress of the person to whom eachprocessed specimen is deliveredb) Recordsrequired under (a) may be kept on a log providedby the department or onbusiness records kept by the taxidermist.
    (c) Upon receiving aspecimen or part thereof, theinformation required in (a) shall be immediatelyrecorded.
    (d) The recordrequired in (a) shall be retained for aperiod of five years.

(e) Department ofPublic Safety is authorized toconduct inspections for compliance with thissection during normal businesshours or between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m

BY MAIL ATTN:BROARD OF GAME COMMENTS
    ALASKA DEPT. OF FISNAND GAME
    BROARD SUPPORT SECETION PO BOX 115526
    JUNEAU, AK. 99811-5526
    OR FAX YOUR COMMENTS TO
    970-465-6094

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Big deal. If I'm dropping off a critter to a taxidermist, I fully expect to give the taxidermist my name and contact information. I don't see why that's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by isnarewolves View Post
    Never mind what is done in thelower 48. We are ALASKANS and still somewhat free. Why lose another right thatso many have died for.
    Am curious to know how many Alaskans have died defending the 'right' to be free from accurate record keeping, and where in the Alaskan Constitution is this 'right' declared?

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

sorry for all my errors in this post. But can you read? AWT will be inspecting with out a warrent or have any cause!

sorry for all my errors in this post. But can you read? AWT will be inspecting with out a warrent or have any cause!
    How would this differ from, say, the IRS requiring businesses to keep accurate records of their payroll deductions and conducting random audits of the records (without any cause)? The AWT are not searching people without cause, they are inspecting (note the different word) business records periodically if they want to.

if you check it out. there is no law that says to have to retain your tax records. they only suggust.

besides our records, are my property. tax roll forms are propety of the gov. and anything recorded on those records are property of the gov. Article 1 sec. 14 i should be secure in MY pappers.

I agree with the OP. This is not an issue of a private business keeping records. It is a matter of the government monitoring my personal habits. Be it my shopping, spending, driving, hunting, etc, etc, etc. It's none of their business. If they suspect me of UNLAWFUL or ILLEGAL activity, they have investigative tools at there disposal. The government holding my personal data or patterns in some data base that they can access at will, to produce "probable cause", is a danger to our rights. The ever increasing trend of the government to gather and store the personal information of it's citizens should be resisted, at every level. These trends are being introduced and sold to us in a manner which implies we will be more safe, more happy, more free from crime, etc, etc, etc. A much more alarming trend is that of the people to go along with all these infringements.

The record keeping requirement is onerous and petty. For what reason, which the OP didn't adequately detail, did AWG state as a reason, since those typically tell us why it is necessary.?

how would this regulation stop them from doing what they did.? they already were law breakers. what one more?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

how would this regulation stop them from doing what they did.? they already were law breakers. what one more?
    I can see how a violator may see this regulation as a problem, but for those who have nothing to hide, I just don't see the big deal.

You could say that about all laws. We have a massive state, and way few cops to police it. I figure that cops are my friends. They already know everything about me, so if I ain't breaking the what do I care if they know about my shopping habits. You lost most of your rights long ago. In-fact the only rights that suck loosing are those you loose if convicted of a felony. The right to vote & own a firearm.

I can see both sides of the argument.. I do not like big govt at all, but it is already here in everything we do.. On the side of law enforcement, I can see how they could use this effectively.. If they suspect a guy of poaching they can bounce the info off the taxidermist to the info kept by the state when you seal your hide and what not.. If he never registered it with the state but got it mounted then ding ding ding we got a winner... It could cut down on trophy poaching but not meat poaching... one battle at a time I guess.. I suppose if you don't want them in your business, learn how to mount your own trophies...

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I can see how a violator may see this regulation as a problem, but for those who have nothing to hide, I just don't see the big deal.
    Do you really feel that way though? If you don't have anything to hide it's not a big deal for law enforcement and government to take further liberties with our freedom? Being a law abiding citizen is reason enough to fight for more rights, not to give them up.

This is certainly not a dig at you, but I feel like that attitude is very dangerous.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that taxidermists are already on the lookout for animals that are required to be sealed such as sheep and bears. If Troopers want to know which animals have been taken illegally, why not require all animals to be sealed and then ask taxidermists to report unsealed game?

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that taxidermists are already on the lookout for animals that are required to be sealed such as sheep and bears. If Troopers want to know which animals have been taken illegally, why not require all animals to be sealed and then ask taxidermists to report unsealed game?
    First thing SOA would say is "who's going to pay for that?"

But, they don't mind mandating taxidermists to do some mandatory accounting for them, it seems. Kinda one sided thinking, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post

I agree with you frostbitten

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    If Troopers want to know which animals have been taken illegally, why not require all animals to be sealed and then ask taxidermists to report unsealed game?
    Which option below is most efficient, cost effective, results in smaller government, and least burdensome to hunters and trappers?

A) Requiring every antler, horn, skull, cape, hide, and fur that comes out of the field to be sealed, and requiring taxidermists to report unsealed items.

OR

B) Requiring taxidermists to keep reasonable business transaction records for 5 years, so that during an investigation, the good guys can tell who the bad guys are, and stop them from stealing wildlife resources that belong to all Alaskans.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

That's easy:

C) None of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I agree with you frostbitten

Ignorance is Bliss keep up the good work!
    Tim

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast