Thread: city of Kenai 2011 dipnetting report

Default city of Kenai 2011 dipnetting report

For those of you that are interested, the City of Kenai has released their annual report on soon to be last years dipping report. http://www.ci.kenai.ak.us/ Scroll down on the lower right side and you will see the quick link to click on.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thanks Whop---Fun to skim thru.

"Overall, the 2011 dipnet fishery went smoothly and posed few significant problems from a law
    enforcement perspective."

"Overall the 2011 dipnet season was a success from the Finance Departmentís perspective."

Thanks for the link.
    I do wonder though. They say revenue was up ~12% but they went from 6 violations in 2010 to 59 in 2011.
    Is that due to more/better enforcement,more people dipping or ?. I am guess it is a combination of factors but interesting nonetheless.
    It would be nice to see them get the proposed fish waste disposal issue solved. Sure the tide washes it away but until that happens it is a nasty stinking problem.
    I am glad to see Kenai is still making money on this fishery. Even if that is due in large part to recieving grant monies.
    Might there be a fee increase in the future that allows this fishery to be self sustaining without the Grant money? Might this also pay for the fish waste disposal as was proposed last year?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Chris, those violations were for mostly parking and non payment involving parking. I even got one of those non showing parking reciepts parking tickets last year cause as I closed my pick-ups door at the boat launch, it blew off the dash and onto the floor. I sent it in later on in the season, and they dropped the issue.
    So.. I'm one of those increased enforcement stats too. The report does say mostly for parking issues and kids on the beaches, rding 4-wheelers w/o helmets. They also started writing tickets for not showing a camping reciept posted on the camping tents themselves.The city also increased by two, enforcement temporary hires, if I'm not mistaken.
    We do need to get some sort of fish disposal going. I mean Homer has a sweet set-up, why can't the city find someone willing to haul it off and reuse it for Fertilizer or dog food. Any adventurers out there???
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

thought it was kinda funny that the 2nd most type of call to the police was 11 911 pocket dials
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

so much for the cell phone mania....love your sayings at the end of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Thanks for the link.
    I do wonder though. They say revenue was up ~12% but they went from 6 violations in 2010 to 59 in 2011.
    Is that due to more/better enforcement,more people dipping or ?. I am guess it is a combination of factors but interesting nonetheless.
    It would be nice to see them get the proposed fish waste disposal issue solved. Sure the tide washes it away but until that happens it is a nasty stinking problem.
    I am glad to see Kenai is still making money on this fishery. Even if that is due in large part to recieving grant monies.
    Might there be a fee increase in the future that allows this fishery to be self sustaining without the Grant money? Might this also pay for the fish waste disposal as was proposed last year?
    Where do you not find fish waste along a road system that is known for lots of fish passing through?