Thread: Fly rod/reel info

Default Fly rod/reel info

I came across this site about the top fly rods, to you veteran fly fishers, would you consider this accurate ?
    http://flyfishing.about.com/od/gear/...0-Fly-Rods.htm

I was looking at the Sage but wow $400-500 a pop, has a lifetime warranty though so something I may consider .
    Alaska bound !

I love my Sage rods but there are great rods by many makers. Keep in mind they have price ranges from under $300 to over $800. Most makers have a wide variety of price ranges and models. I am surprised Scott isn't on the list because most of the people I have met who use them are very dedicated to using them. Just like guns, knives, scopes, and what we drive- we all have our own preferenced and opinions and that gives us excuses to buy more of them! I doubt I will fish any better with it, but I have my eye on a Sage 'the one'.

Tight lines,
    BEE

I don't have the money to spend on a new Sage rod, but I am always checking the local pawn shops and recently purchased a sage 8 wt rod, the price was $140. Also recently purchased a Leupold VXII 3-9 lr duplex for $180.

I am staying within my means, yet still buying quality gear.

Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well they give you some good places to look. I am not a fan of G.loomis rods, only because of the warrenty they offer for the money you spend or lack there of. Other good rods not on the list are St. Croix, Powell, and Drake. I am sure there are others. But my go to rods are Sage, TFO, and St. Croix.

I have a Powell I love and for the price you can't beat an echo

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    ....would you consider this accurate ?
    About as accurate and objective as claiming which is better, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge.

Dedicated record chasers the world over buy high end gear and have money to burn. Look at the listings and you'll see the same names cropping up all over the lists. Using world records as a criteria for identifying best rods makes about as much sense as using NASCAR rankings for picking a family minivan.

I own and use all those rods, and each has advantages and disadvantages other than price. The best and only real way to find what's right for you is to put them in your hand and cast them, then pick a brand and model that fits your budget.

BrownBear:
    Well said and a great analogy!
    BEE