Thread: Cataraft + ATV = temporary amphibious ATV?

Question Cataraft + ATV = temporary amphibious ATV?

Not as a substitute for a Mudd Ox or Argo.
    But, has anyone ever set up a cataraft frame to carry an ATV across deep water?

Thanx, Dave.

Very strange, I was pondering the same scenario. I saw the outdoor life videos of the guy hunting in canada (i think) but he packed a raft in and put his machine in a raft and then inflated it around the machine. He was using the combo to get across a river. I thought if there were a way to attach a cat frame to the wheeler and then inflate the tubes and adjust the frame so you can still drive it/ float it across a braided river. Seems do-able but a bit time consuming to get it to work. If I were dedicated to hunting in the same area that required me to cross a river I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by OHTroy View Post
    Very strange, I was pondering the same scenario. I saw the outdoor life videos of the guy hunting in canada (i think) but he packed a raft in and put his machine in a raft and then inflated it around the machine. He was using the combo to get across a river. I thought if there were a way to attach a cat frame to the wheeler and then inflate the tubes and adjust the frame so you can still drive it/ float it across a braided river. Seems do-able but a bit time consuming to get it to work. If I were dedicated to hunting in the same area that required me to cross a river I would do it.
    I'd want to try it with a old snow machine first, as there isn't any electronics down by the track.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

just over inflate the tires and strap a couple 55 gal barrels on the sides
    Semper Fi!

I just drive my 4 wheeler in the lake till the pontoon boat is floating then paddle the 4 wheeler across..uh huh..sure..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does sound like an intriguing idea for flat water. But I think it could be difficult to carry any amount of gear or animal, unless you are towing another inflatbable boat, floating trailer behind you.

Had a friend load his ATV into his big cataraft for a hunt last year, but he is a very experienced river runner. I think he used the aluminum ATV ramps to load and unload from the front of the boat and adjusted the frame to fit. Obviously it's going to raise the center of gravity of the boat and change it's handling.

Thanx Guys!
    Rather than just driving a wheeler "onto" a regular raft or cataraft, I was actually thinking of designing some custom crossbars to carry a side-by-side between two large pontoons. The amount of "drop" (bend) of the crossbars would allow the ATV tires to hang slightly lower than the pontoons for launching, landing, and inadvertant groundings on submerged gravel bars, etc. The crossbars would be attached to the chassis of the SxS to maintain it's position, and a small outboard used for propulsion to cross lakes/large rivers.

Our company, WetTruck, makes a couple of different boats that will carry an ATV or two. We have a 27 foot WetTruck that will carry the pick up truck you brought it to the water with. Our 18 foot boat would carry any ATV and your gear. we use outboards ranging from 2 horse to 30 and up. Our web site isn't up yet but if you want I can send some pictures.
    bruce.dsg@gmail.com

We have done it many times. Our WetTruck boats make that an easy deal, drive them on and drive them off.

We do it all the time, email me for a picture.
    bruce.dsg@gmail.com