Thread: Alpina: Italian made twin tracked utility snowmachine (two 156" L x 20" wide tracks)

Default Alpina: Italian made twin tracked utility snowmachine (two 156" L x 20" wide tracks)

So the music in the video is kind of corny, but this thing looks like quite the load hauler. Anybody ever heard of Alpina Snowmobile company?

http://www.alpina-snowmobiles.com/

Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm, they call it "the worlds only dual track snowmobile"... I'm guessing they mean "currently in production". Obviously, they copied the Alpine II chassis almost exactly, and stuck twin skis on it. Hopefully it's built better than my Fiat was.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'd tell to do a forum search if the v-bull search function was worth anything! This has come up before, with much drooling until the price is shown. There's a reason you only see resorts owning them.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I'd tell to do a forum search if the v-bull search function was worth anything! This has come up before, with much drooling until the price is shown. There's a reason you only see resorts owning them.
    It works. I for one didn't think to use it this time. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghlight=Alpina
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Very interesting............What does it cost.....???

It don't think it looks like a tundra ll chassis. What part of it are you referring too?

AGL, I have no idea but i'm sure it aint cheap.

Looks like it's been in use in the Northwest Territory, Alaska, Japan, Australia, Austria, and the South Pole.

Thanks for catching my slip Mainer. I meant Alpine II, and have edited my original.
    #Resist

There is one or two of these machines in the Fbx. area . I think that it is at Birch Hills.

In Russia they still make their version of the original Alpine called "Buran" ("Blizzard"). Costs about 5-6K. It used to be pretty much the only choice for a snowmachine in USSR back in the day.
    I've ridden it and it's great for flats/deep snow, just don't get it stuck and don't try to sidehill

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    It works. I for one didn't think to use it this time. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghlight=Alpina
    There's older threads. I bow before your mastery of the search function! I can never seem to work it right.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Saw a write up in one of the snowmachine rags a couple years ago. I would like to think it would be a wonderful machine, particularly for the guys/gals who do lots of flat river riding and remote building. But like all things Italian, it looks great, but will it last? I dunno. Haven't heard any wonder stories on the snowmachine forums or anything in the rags. Soooo....
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

here link on another form from couple yr,s ago they talked about them

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....l=alpina&st=30
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....&#entry1746728

Uhhhhhh......yeah......about those utility machines, I think I'll pass. One Alpina costs more than four new widetrack utility machines.

Alpina Snowmobiles
    2011-2012 Alpina Sherpa 1.6 new......................................... $39,335.00
    Alpina Sherpa Prices quoted US Dollars F.O.B. Norwich, Vermont
    Alpina Accessories
    3-seat kit with safety belts and ROPS for Sherpa rear deck........$1,606.50
    Roll-over guard (only) with worklight-bracket ..............................$436.00
    Trans-alp Towing-sled (for materials only) ................................$3,289.50
    Trans-alp Towing-sled BUS (3+3 seat-kit with safety belts and dual rollover
    guard) .................................................. ............................$6,069.00
    Trans-alp Towing-sled BUS (3+3+3 seat-kit with safety belts and three rollover
    guards) .................................................. ..........................$7,254.00
    Alpina SRK Safe Rescue Kit with ROPS.....................................$3,432.00
    Removable back-rest for Sherpa saddle.......................................$232. 50

OUCH, Hell that is more than my first house in Turnagain.

Since a Skidoo Superwide will spank an Alpine, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Very interesting............What does it cost.....???
    Better tape your jaw shut for this one.

39,500$ USD as of January 2012.

It's expensive, especially that if shipped to Canada will bring it to about 80,000$ before licensing and insurance.

It has two 20" tracks so it gives it a total of 10" more track width over the alpine-II. The Sherpa tracks are the same as on the skidoo Skandic WT so that's easily attainable.

The latest sherpa has a 1.6L 4 cylinder variable cam timing 4 stroke ford motor 155HP. Which is kind of odd considering that yamaha has a 973cc 3 cylinder 4 stroke that has 130HP (yes it actually has 131hp) in it's VK pro. Since the sherpa's max torque range is between 3600 and 4100 rpm the remaining rpm up to 6000 rpm is for speeds up to 80KM/h. I'm thinking a diesel would have been a better choice since the sherpa has a 1:1.8 overdrive second high gear in it's transmission. A 3 cylinder diesel is no more difficult to start in the cold than a 4 cylinder 4 stroke.

The sherpa suspension system is not all that different form the boogie wheel system of the skidoo alpine.

Several people have installed dual skies from tundras on skidoo alpines and it works great, same telescopic or pogo steering as the sherpa.

The sherpa is more comfortable than the alpine v1 or v2.

The sherpa's main innovation is the rear oriented engine vs the transmission. The driven or secondary clutch is in front of the engine instead of the rear as with most snowmobiles. This gives the sherpa the ability to have the tracks far forward , more than 12" further forward than the alpine. More bite but less belly to slip on.

I still want to see a sherpa going through lake slush. I've tried it in deep snow and it's great but more tests are required

Safe Journey.

re-posted for reply quote

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Since a Skidoo Superwide will spank an Alpine, why bother?
    That's debatable my alpine -II is stronger, more stable, floats more than my swt 800 4stroke and the alpine has 15hp less. Yes the swt is more agile, goes faster, pulls like a tank but it has more limitations than the alpine as a utility sled. Most ski hills now either get the Yamaha VK pro (rs) or the Skidoo Skandic swt to replace the alpine. However i have 2 alpines and the local ski hills never stop bugging me to buy them. I even thought about starting my own double track snowmobile production, and no where near 40K or 80K for a snowmobile. 80K is a decent house in many places, or a gold embossed fully loaded GMC suburban with built in mini bar.

The Sherpa has the same welded steel frame as the alpine. They make it out to the point that they used MIG to weld the body. Big deal, i can MIG, flux core, TIG, stick, oxy-acet, weld with the best of them.

It's nice that the sherpa is a long track which is better than the alpine.

There are no fancy options on a sherpa which is typical Euro utility design which is wonderful. However i would not see the sherpa for more that 16,000$ CDN + taxes. The Yamaha VK pro is 15,000 cdn and is loaded, it's not so much of a stretch.