Thread: For Stid and everyone

Default For Stid and everyone

I'm attaching a zipped file that contains a .kmz of the Fairbanks Management Area. It could theoretically be useful if you can get it on your GPS, but I make no warranties about the accuracy of my maps. If I was along one of the boundaries, I'd be darn sure I knew where I was before I took a shot at a moose.

FMA_WGS84.zip

Same as normal. Download the .zip file and extract the .kmz file that is in it. Open Google Earth, then choose File and Open and then find the newly unzipped file. Let me know what you think.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Default Browse Graphic

This is a quick look at what the file should be.

FMA.jpg

I only get one line and it does not look like that. I unzipped it and opened the file in GE, it makes no difference when I check and uncheck it.

Steve

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

It worked for me.
    I had to click on properties of the "FMA WGS84", then in the Style and Color tab, under area, hit the drop down menu and choose "outline".

From there you can get it to your GPS if you want.
    Doug
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    It worked for me.
    I had to click on properties of the "FMA WGS84", then in the Style and Color tab, under area, hit the drop down menu and choose "outline".

From there you can get it to your GPS if you want.
    Doug

That was it,, Thanks to you both!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I went by the area description provided by ADFG (upstream along Goldstream Creek, etc.). In some cases, the line on your GPS might not match exactly where you are standing - for instance, along the pipeline, the boundary is the right-of-way, but I mapped it to the pipeline itself because that's the reference point I had. Know your regs.

I might try some of the CUAs next. Perhaps someone could suggest one to start with?

I made an executive decision - the first one I tried was Clearwater Creek CUA. I'm more than a little worried about this one, especially the area along the eastern boundary. The written description is all of the area draining into the Maclaren River, so as usual, know where you're standing before you shoot. Luckily, this one doesn't affect hunting much, as it is only in effect from March 15 through June 30.

Clearwater_CUA.jpg

This straight from the regs:
    "This controlled use area was created in 1971 to protect moose and caribou from overharvest. This area is bounded on the south by the Denali Highway and there are good numbers of moose in this portion of the Alaska Range. Caribou from the Nelchina herd are in the area during the summer and early fall. The area is popular for walk-in hunters as they have a good chance to take animals without competition from more mobile hunters with off-road vehicles."

I dunno. Which moose/caribou is getting protected from overharvest during April?

Anways, here's the file:
    Clearwater_Creek_CUA.zip

Use the instructions from the first post. Feedback is crucial to this sort of work - let me know how to improve the output.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I made an executive decision - the first one I tried was Clearwater Creek CUA. I'm more than a little worried about this one, especially the area along the eastern boundary. The written description is all of the area draining into the Maclaren River, so as usual, know where you're standing before you shoot. Luckily, this one doesn't affect hunting much, as it is only in effect from March 15 through June 30.
    I dunno. Which moose/caribou is getting protected from overharvest during April?
    you have miss read what the regulations state. From March 15 to June 30 you can use motorized vehicles to hunt bears, wolves, and small game. the rest of the year there is no motorized access into the area for hunting. You can still drive in on established trails for recreation, but not for hunting.

SkinnyD if you email the Ak gis folks they will send you a .shp file of the game management units.
    I had them send me one a few years ago.
    I have it around somewhere.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    you have miss read what the regulations state. From March 15 to June 30 you can use motorized vehicles to hunt bears, wolves, and small game. the rest of the year there is no motorized access into the area for hunting. You can still drive in on established trails for recreation, but not for hunting.
    Thanks AK Ray. I knew something didn't seem right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    if you email the Ak gis folks they will send you a .shp file of the game management units.
    I've been trying to get ahold of the GIS guy here in Fairbanks for a few weeks without result. I hope to catch him soon, as I am sure the shapefiles created by ADFG are more accurate than what I can produce.

Hi everyone. I'm sorry for being so tardy about getting the GPS file on here to go with the Google Earth file that I posted a while back. Same as usual... be sure to unzip the file before you try to use it. Remember, your GPS works about like an external hd or a thumb drive or the like, so be sure you know what you're deleting if you delete something from it.

1. Plug in GPS. It should show up as a new device on your computer.
    2. Unzip FMA_WGS84 file. Copy the .gpx (GPSExchange) file that is in it.
    3. Paste the .gpx file to your GPS.

FMA_WGS84.zip

Perhaps I should devote an entire new thread to this topic, but I'd be interested in giving a quick and simple mapping seminar for hunters who want to get the most out of their technology.