Thread: Spinning reel on spey rod?

Default Spinning reel on spey rod?

This is more or less an extension to my traveling rod post that I added earlier. I've been searching for a 10 to 13' rod to use for drift/bobber fishing but almost all of these are 2 piece....which are difficult for traveling with. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a spinning reel put directly on spey rod without any alterations? I'm aware that a spinning set up could be added to a spey rod blank...but is it possible to use a spey rod with a spinning reel? I'm wondering how this setup would cast with the smaller eyes on a spey rod (compared to large spinning rod eyes)? It would be nice to have the option of using either a fly or spinning reel...depending upon how far I needed to cast.

It should work. Used to put a spinning reel on a fly rod back home in WI all the time.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Raptor 1, I would be curious how your spinning reel mounted on your flyrod cast? Could you cast very far...especially against the wind? I was just in Wisc a few weeks ago (and caught some nice trout). I felt a little out of place with my 7' spinning rod. Everyone else had 12'+ spinning rods.

Im gunna make this my first post as I think that travel rods are greatly under appreciated. w.w. Grigg out of Canby Oregon makes 3 piece travel rods in the 7 and 9 ft sizes and I can personally vouch for the 7 footers. great salmon and stealhead rods. there is also www.santiamfishingrods.com makes alot of travel rods and they sell them on ebay as well as there store just south of Salem Oregon. Also Anglers Workshop sells all the stuff to build rods and there are blanks in there just for travel. good luck on finding a rod

Hunt-fish-trap, Thanks for the heads up and info in regard to the Santiam rods. I will likely buy at least 1 and know my buddy will likely want one as well! Looks like a nice 3 piece at an afforadable price!

glad to help, I found the santiam rods on ebay and ordered one for myself, as the griggs are getting hard to find.

I have had a couple of clients that fish spinning on their fly rods almost exclusive. Very sensitive and can cast a mile fishing beads and a good size split shot. Setting the hook takes a good effort and even a second effort once you tightened the line but most defiantly do-able

I'll have to try out a spinning reel on my 9 wt flyrod and see how it works. In a pinch it certainly seems like a good option/backup. I've done a lot of digging and am finding a lot of dead ends. From the few reviews I have found it sounds like the Griggs is a good option for the price. Does anyone have any experience with their travel Steelhead rods? Also, if anyone else is aware of any medium priced rods please leave the details!

Jim,
    Best option is to look at float/centerpin rods. Loomis Canada, Raven, Batson, and a multitude of others make both rods and blanks to fit about every situation you could want, from 11 up t 17 foot. Lots of guys also have spey blanks built for float rods. If you want more info on em I can did it up, shoot me an e-mail, I might have a blank here at the house.

john.r.abel@uscg.mil