Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I Get Away With Just One Hunting Knife???

Default Can I Get Away With Just One Hunting Knife???

Hello Everyone,

I did search here and other sites, and I still really don't have a good answer. I am looking for a good quality hunting knife that I can use to field dress game as big as a moose, down to a squirrel. I not only want the knife to be able to dress the animal, but I would like it to be precise enough to skin the smallest animal to retain it's pelt. I don't want a knife from China, I want one that uses D-2, O-2, S-30V, 154CM, or comparable quality metals. I want a full tang of course, and if I can have my cake and eat it too, I'd like a nice burl wood handle, or rosewood. What I still don't know, is if my dream knife is a reality, or would I need to get a hunting knife, and a separate caping knife. If that is the case, I did find a couple good quality knives, that I can afford. The hunting knife is this one. I would appreciate it if I can get some feedback on if this knife would suffice, or would I have to also get this caping knife to round it out? If anyone thinks that knife or both isn't going to work and has a suggestion for an all encompassing knife, I would appreciate it immensely!!! You will make my Christmas card list LOL! Thank you all for your time.

God Bless,

Jeff

You don't need all of that crap that you list....
    Two words for you....Cutco, Havalon

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    That pretty much sums up my list. Worked great on 3 moose and 2 goats and a bear over the last few years. The only other thing I carry is a Sagen saw for pulling ribs unless I need a larger saw for cutting skull plates.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I completely agree with LuJon and LT. For what it's worth, I almost never go on a hunt with just one knife. I have been known to inadvertently donate hunting knives to mother nature, so having a back-up is almost a requirement...but that's just me, nobody else ever loses their knife I'm sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Okay, I went to Cutco first, and found this. I probably won't go for the steak knife No where in the description does it tell you what kind of steel is used or the price for that matter. Havalon came second. Some of them are pretty lol! They look like dressed up scalpels. How robust are they? Will they last in the field? No disrespect intended, but seeing them for the first time, they just look like they can easily break. They do look excellent for precise cutting and first incision, but how would they do beyond that? I must say, if they are excellent knives, the price is very reasonable. Thank you for the responses, I need the education.

Jeff

Dunno what steel is used int he cutco. Don't honestly care. I got the DD edge and just use it all season then send it off for an annual resharpen. Comes back and I use it all next season and repeat. The havel knives are autopsy scalpels with a slick folding handle. The blades are reasonable and as long as you don't twist the blade they work great. I go through about 2-3 blades per large animal and can do a whole mess of rabbits on a single one. Extra blades are individual wrapped and weigh next to nothing.

i agree the cutco and the havalon are excellent...the havalon is nice because you dont have resharpen it, jus change the blade and go....but! dont cut yourself with em lol they will slice to the bone with no trouble! learned the hard way....

Release Lake Trout

My hunting partner the last two years uses nothing but the Cutco drop point straight edge and I was impressed so I bought one myself with the Orange handle so I don't donate to mother nature! Best knife I have ever used, haven't experienced the Havalon yet but heard nothing but good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Dunno what steel is used int he cutco. Don't honestly care. I got the DD edge and just use it all season then send it off for an annual resharpen. Comes back and I use it all next season and repeat. The havel knives are autopsy scalpels with a slick folding handle. The blades are reasonable and as long as you don't twist the blade they work great. I go through about 2-3 blades per large animal and can do a whole mess of rabbits on a single one. Extra blades are individual wrapped and weigh next to nothing.
    I really don't see a need to send back the CutCo in my experience every year. Even when skinning a couple moose and caribou per year it usually last atleast two years before I feel I need to send it back to CutCo HQ.

The havalons are great. Since I have gotten it, I have skinned or help skin 60+ animals with them. My personal record was a moose and two caribou prior to swapping to a new blade. Takes a bit of a learning curve but at $30 per 100 blades and never having to sharpen makes it worth it. Don't even know where my Cutco is at my house right now as I haven't used or seen it in years due to exlcusively using the havalon and a gerber saw for the ribs and skull plate.

I think the Havalon is just great. The blades are rugged enough for dressing out a critter and cheap enough to break one now and again.

I am a recovering knife addict and I could just easily scrap a whole drawer chock full of knives for a Havalon or a Cutco or even a Mora for that matter and be pretty proficient at butchering game.

The Havalon+ Wyoming Saw will do almost anything you need to do to a game critter in the field.

As far as the Cutco goes, they are awesome. I know I am not as active as some of you guys, but it seems as sharp as the day I bought it. It could probably use a trip to the factory soon though, It has seen a pretty good amount of work these last couple years.

Havalon? There is no question. This is my favorite knife I own. Amazingly sharp and practically free to "resharpen". I just bought it this year, and am still on the original blade. I am super careful with it, but maybe I'm lucky. Ill probably change it out before my next hunt though. They cut so fast and clean. Just dont try to separate any big joints with them.

When I look back on all my past hunts, I wish I had all the gear I do now, but...If I had to narrow it down to a couple items, these would be them. Boy...that havalon would have been nice on my first caribou.

So, yeah, get a Havalon and make sure you have something else tough to get the joints.

Good luck.
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Those Havalons seem like a slick deal, I may have to try one.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Just ordered a Havalon Piranta and spare blades and a belt pouch.....you guys need to stop the "good ideas"....I'm going broke!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Those Havalons seem like a slick deal, I may have to try one.
    Man, I can't believe an ounce counting sheep addict like you hasn't jumped on this bandwagon yet!!

We better close this thread then LOL! You know, I am aware that it is impractical, but I also want my hunting knife to be aesthetically pleasing. Maybe a shiny burl wood handle with a brass or stainless steel bolster...I like the look of the old school mountain man/trapper knives. Maybe even a nice stag handle. I know a guy who is an awesome knifemaker here in CT. I met him a while back, this is his website here. Well, I just emailed him and asked if he would be able to make me a knife and how much it would be! He is an artist, you can see by the knives he has on his website. He currently has no knives for sale, so I hope I can get him to make a knife! Thanks Guy's!

Jeff

I have a couple nice custom knives. They tend to live in the safe alongside the nice blued/walnut rifles while the SS/synthetic rifles, cutco and Havel all head to the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I completely agree with LuJon and LT. For what it's worth, I almost never go on a hunt with just one knife. I have been known to inadvertently donate hunting knives to mother nature, so having a back-up is almost a requirement...but that's just me, nobody else ever loses their knife I'm sure!
    Can't agree with you guys even more..... The question is can you afford to lose the only knife you have?...... we all know the answer.
    I always carry 2 or 3.... Your main one doesn't have to be that big either, even the smallest knives will do up a moose if need to.

I came across a compromise at Knives of Alaska. They gave you absolutely no break on buying a combination, still comes out the same as if you bought them separately LOL! I am going to buy this set to start off with. Input is always welcome and appreciated!
    Thanks Guy's

Jeff

Don't carry them together....loose one you loose both.

My favorite skinner is still the Gerber unzipper and a razor knife...soon to be replaced by the Havalon Piranta. I usually just throw away the $3 razor knife when I'm done but I guess I will be forced to clean the guts and goo out of the Havalon...hmmm...didn't think of that.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsman View Post
    I came across a compromise at Knives of Alaska. They gave you absolutely no break on buying a combination, still comes out the same as if you bought them separately LOL! I am going to buy this set to start off with. Input is always welcome and appreciated!
    Thanks Guy's

Jeff

I have that exact set and it now stays home. I have tried many knives over the years and can say that the Cutco DD serrated, the Cutco Serrated folder, Havlon and a utility handle and roofing blade are a hard combo to beat.

I will also add that a black handled knife is VERY easy to lose, especially when skinning an animal in the river.

Hope you are starting to see a trend in the thread,, lots of experience here.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast