Thread: It's Mine! all Mine-now what

Default It's Mine! all Mine-now what

I finally paid off my land from the state through the OTC program. Sent the check out last week, now what should I expect?
    I'd love to start improving in the spring, but surmise I have other hoops to jump through....hints?

The next hoop that you have to get through is WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will take time for the state to issue you title to the land,You might have it by next summer. Once you have the receipt marked paid in full you can start making plans as to what you want to do. Any restrictions that is on the property should have been listed when you started the purchase. Where is the property located ? Now you have a Merry Christmas

Why wait? You don't have to have the title in hand to start something. Don't know where you are at, but if the property is snowmachine access in winter, something else in the summer, I'd start figuring what materials to buy and haul later this winter.

No hoops that i know of. i pretty much had my cabin built by the time i paid it off. have fun

Congratulations, you are good to go, no waiting
    JOHN

I figured there'd be a bunch more BS. I can easily drive to within 1/2 mile then there is a smaller atv trail that goes down the power lines adjacent to my property. I have big, tall steel towers down the east side and a residential looking line on the west side.If I can just figure out who to throw money at I may be able to tap the residential line? In the years since I secured the land a small creek has moved from 20' off property to now flowing down the entire south edge!The land is loaded with trees. all about 4" or 5" diameter and about 24" between them on the entire property-looks like I have some hard work ahead of me to clear out a place for a cabin. The trees look like a good fuel/heat source, any other possible uses? I am in the Mat-Su, what kind of fees should I prepare for? 9 acres.

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    ....If I can just figure out who to throw money at I may be able to tap the residential line? .
    Call MEA with your subdivision name, lot and block. They will help you get the power flowing.
    Here is a link.
    http://www.mea.coop/
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

You'll need a building permit (if you want to get one) from the Mat-Su borough on anything over 480 square feet.

Don't forget the $25 driveway permit.
    JOHN

Even though you're good to go, consider taking the time to camp out and walk the land before you start planning your buildings. You may discover reasons to change your cabin site, to clear certain places to improve the view, or to leave certain trees in place to block the view of those steel towers. Thoughtful thinning from the start can also improve total fuel yields. Hard to figure those things out without spending time just hanging out there.

Many will probably disagree, but from my own perspective of thinking back on building my cabin, if I had it all to do over again I'd probably spend a year living in a wall tent on my cabin site, focused entirely on improving my land before worrying about building my cabin. I love my cabin the way it is, but I could have done a better job on planning my paths, garden, and outbuildings if they had been part of the original building plans.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

When I started the process our paperwork said we'd have to pay off the land. Then we would be contacted by the state with a list of approved surveyors. We would have to have one of them plot our lot and then have the state approve of their findings, then the property would be ours. I still have heard nothing from the state, not a peep. Should I start making waves? where? It's been 9 months.

There would be nothing wrong with checking on things, but making waves might not be the best approach as waves can have a bad way of getting things covered up and in a jumble. A kind word will serve you much better than a sharp attack. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    There would be nothing wrong with checking on things, but making waves might not be the best approach as waves can have a bad way of getting things covered up and in a jumble. A kind word will serve you much better than a sharp attack. Good Luck
    I would certainly voice concern over how things are progressing. In general I approach issues like this by calling and asking them to help me make sure I have provided everything they need because I am worried that I haven't heard back on it.

That's good advice, I will call, with sugar on my tongue!

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    When I started the process our paperwork said we'd have to pay off the land. Then we would be contacted by the state with a list of approved surveyors. We would have to have one of them plot our lot and then have the state approve of their findings, then the property would be ours. I still have heard nothing from the state, not a peep. Should I start making waves? where? It's been 9 months.
    I'm a bit confused, you said you bought the lot OTC (over the counter). It should have already been surveyed and you would have been allowed to build before you finished paying for it. What you are describing now sounds more like the cabin staking program, except you didn't say anything about staking the property.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    I'm a bit confused, you said you bought the lot OTC (over the counter). It should have already been surveyed and you would have been allowed to build before you finished paying for it. What you are describing now sounds more like the cabin staking program, except you didn't say anything about staking the property.
    Sorry to confuse, let me be as clear as a muddy Idaho boy can be. I did buy it OTC, not through the staking program. In our original documents we were told we would have to pay the entire value of the property prior to improving the lot. In addition to paying off the debt, we were required to submit for approval a certified survey ( from a list to be provided by the state) which would then be approved by the state. We would then be notified and could only then begin improvements. Please understand, this is my recollection of paperwork I read a few years back and is totally hit or miss. Which is why I asked the original question. Am I wrong? I would love it if somebody just called me an idiot and said " you paid, go build" especially if they could prove I just misunderstood/misremembered. I thank you all for your help!!

You can start improving it the day the contract was recorded.
    It usually takes 6-9 months to get the patent, Especially now a days, they had some personnel changeovers.
    OTC land is pre surveyed, Once you pay it off the State doesn't care what you do with it. If you want to sub divide it then the Mat-Su is the platting authority.

Not sure what you are thinking about the survey thing. Also the State does not have a "list" certified surveyors. If you ever need surveying you can use any one that is certified.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

You should be able to request a copy of your contract from the state land office if you can not find it and need clarification, it is good to have it on file any way. I paid my land off last July and recieved my Deed the first week of this June. I usually called the land office about every two months to check up on it. The folks in the land office are good people and easy to deal with, things in AK tend to move slower than in the lower 48, i.e. my deed was recorded by the Chitna recording district in March but was not mailed out until the last week of May. They were nice and explained the backup when I called them the first week of May. Long story short; call to follow up they do not mind and will treat you with the same attitude as you treat them, go out to your piece of AK and enjoy. Build when ready. My cabin as many was built long before the land was paid for.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge