Thread: 12 gauge not ejecting shells

Default 12 gauge not ejecting shells

Hey there gunsmiths. Looking to have my 12 gauge (old) tuned adn gone through. I do know my shell ejector does not work and therefore the gun just sits. I need to get this things working so i can get back to shooting. Any ideas on gunsmiths in Anchorage. I hear about WW guns just wondering if that is the best option or if there are other good experiences with other gunsmiths. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

you mean you shoot it and the slide doesn't come back? or the shells don't fling out when the slide comes back? Tis may be totally different, but I typically run cheap 2 3/4 loads through my moss. 9200, and this duck season I started using magnum 3 inch loads, and the slide would come back but not eject the shell, or it would eject it but wouldn't come foreword, to cycle a round. I started using lower power rounds and it works like a charm. Just a though
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

If it is a remington I would take it to WWG since they are a remington repair center. Since you don't state what kind of gun it is - pump, semi-auto, break action - or who made it, it is hard to tell you what may be wrong.

Odds are it's either rusted or gummed up. Try blasting the action with brake cleaner, followed by tri-flo or another teflon based gun lube. Several applications might be all that is needed.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

It is not a Remington, I received it for Christmas from a buddy and that was 6 years ago, we fired a box or so through it and then I put it up, cant remember the manufacturer but it isnt Remington or any typical brand, older model pump. Anyways when I slide it back it doesnt not pick up the shell and pull it out to throw it so I have to work and dig it out but it will load another round when pumped. Anways lacking critical details but basically just hunting for a good gunsmith and seeing if my lack of knowledge could be sharpened a little here, which it already has. Thanks for the info from the lack of details provided guys.

Have you checked to see if the extractor is broken?
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by blofgren View Post
    cant remember the manufacturer but it isnt Remington or any typical brand, older model pump
    Western Field? That is the only non typical brand of old pump I can think of. Everything else is, well, a typical brand.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Western Field? That is the only non typical brand of old pump I can think of. Everything else is, well, a typical brand.
    There have been hundreds of brand names rolled onto pump guns over the years. I assume by “non typical” he means it doesn’t have Remington or Winchester stamped on it. Could be anything made by them or anyone else and stamped Sears/Western Auto/JC Penny or what not . . . or anything else from an Ithaca to a Stephens.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I typically run cheap 2 3/4 loads through my moss. 9200, and this duck season I started using magnum 3 inch loads, and the slide would come back but not eject the shell, or it would eject it but wouldn't come foreword, to cycle a round. I started using lower power rounds and it works like a charm.
    Would that happen to be a 9200A1 model? If so, it isn't designed to shoot 3" shells and that's why they won't eject.

As to the OP's gun... either post a picture or type the name on the side of the receiver and/or barrel. Can't help anything without some info on the gun, though it sounds to me like it's just dirty. If you fired a box of shells 6 years ago and put it away dirty ever since, that should pretty much speak for itself as to the problem. Disassemble and clean it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Its an Ithaca, it was bought by a buddy at a gunshow and he cleaned it and went through it pretty close. We fired at some clay and then enjoyed turkey dinner. Then next day it wouldnt eject rounds and I havent spent much time bird hunting so havent used it since. Probably could use another cleaning but also thinking there might be a spring loaded clip in there to catch the shell as it pulls it out. No pro here but just trying to learn a little and get informed so I know what i need repaired. Prob best to just drop in a gunsmith's and have them look at it. Thanks for the info. Any suggestions for gunsmiths???

Ithaca is a very good shotgun name, not an off brand at all. Paul and JOAT are likely correct that a good clean will do the trick.

Now I don’t know Ithaca real well but here is extract-N-eject 101 (more like 056) for you.

You have an “extractor” on the bolt that hooks the rim of the spent hull to pull it out of the chamber. If the hull stays in the chamber and it tries to shove another in behind the spent round you have an “extractor” issue. Broken/bent extractor, extractor spring. gummed up, rusted, sand filled, or something.

As the bolt drags the spent hull back (hanging on by the extractor) there is an ejector of some type that hit’s the other side of the rim and ejects the hull out of the gun. Some ejectors are just a boss in the receiver, some are spring loaded and pushing all the time so hull flips out as soon as there is room to get out, some are spring loaded and pop like a firing pin when the bolt is fully back, and others are combinations of these. So if the hull is getting pulled out into the action but not getting kicked out you may have an ejector issue.

Now the ejector could be fine and still not eject the hull because the extractor drops the hull AFTER it clears the chamber and there are countless other little things that could be going on like that.

Now, load an empty hull and slowly cycle the action as you watch very closely what goes on at the bolt. Do that several times and watch closely through the ejection window, loading port, and any othe angle that lets you see the bolt, not from the muzzle though unless you can pull the barrel off easy. You will soon see how it should function and likely why it doesn’t. Whether it’s within your ability to fix it or not is another matter though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks Andy, I will find an empty round and cycle it and see what i come up with, I am sure a good cleaning will also let me know if something is gummed up or actually needing repaired. Thanks for all the info. Ithaca is definently a well built gun but just not a brand that is advertised like some of the others. Definently hanging onto the shotgun. Thanks.